Bow hunters?

Options
So who here hunts with a bow? What's your set-up? Let's chat!

Replies

• PanteraGirl
    PanteraGirl Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend just bought a bow....I'm looking to get one actually. Not sure what kind yet....what you got?
  • quixoticmantis
    quixoticmantis Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I have a Diamond Razor's Edge......It truly gets forgotten amongst some of the other 'lady' bows out there (Bear Homewrecker, Bowtech Heartbreaker, Hoyt Vicxen).

I personally think it's a GREAT bow for youth, women, or ANY archer really. I particularly love it, because at 22", I'm a very short draw archer ( I'm 4'11" ) and it was totally adjustable to fit my DL. Also, if you're just starting out, the draw weights are very easy to adjust and goes up to 60#. I just took my first buck with it this year :)

In the far, far future I'll probably get a new bow when I can afford one but you can't beat the price of the razor for what you get, in my opinion :)

P.S. - It's also smooth drawing, quiet, and FAST.
    P.S.S. - Diamond was created by Bowtech, so the bow has a lot of the same good qualities that BowTech compounds have!
  • PanteraGirl
    Options
    How many lbs can you pull? I don't have much arm strength...going to have to work on that....I also have never actually shot a bow either. I'm 5'4. I also need something affordable as well....I'm gonna bug my friend BettyGuage one of these days to let me try her bow! I'm sure I'll like it!! Whats not to like!! LOL It would be nice to try one before buying one though.

I don't think it will be in the budget this year....but maybe next year! I'm gonna looking into the one you have and also the other lady bows....I'm new to bows!
  • mrimike
    mrimike Posts: 139
    Options
    I use a Bowtec VFT. It's about 6 or so years old but still works great. I have it set to 80lbs. I use Muzzy fixed blade (required) 125grain.
  • quixoticmantis
    Options
    I use a Bowtec VFT. It's about 6 or so years old but still works great. I have it set to 80lbs. I use Muzzy fixed blade (required) 125grain.

Nice! 80 lbs, impressive!! I'm a big fan of Bowtech.
  • quixoticmantis
    Options
    How many lbs can you pull? I don't have much arm strength...going to have to work on that....I also have never actually shot a bow either. I'm 5'4. I also need something affordable as well....I'm gonna bug my friend BettyGuage one of these days to let me try her bow! I'm sure I'll like it!! Whats not to like!! LOL It would be nice to try one before buying one though.

I don't think it will be in the budget this year....but maybe next year! I'm gonna looking into the one you have and also the other lady bows....I'm new to bows!

When I first started, I only could pull 18 lbs....I'm now at 42!! Start workin' that upper body :)

Be cautious of trying someone else's bow - bows are very often set for their specific user. If you guys have different draw lengths, anchor points, etc...., it could effect how her bow shoots for YOU. You'd be better served by going to an outdoor/hunting retailer (Sportsmen's Warehouse, Cabella's, Gander Mountain, Bass Pro Shops ) if you have one...they'll let you test shoot bows at most of those places! You'll get a better feel for shooting a bow that way.

The Razor Edge, for what you get, is about the most affordable I've found.....you start getting pretty pricey when you get towards Hoyts and whatnot. Even the Bear Homewrecker and the Bowtech Heartbreaker are 450-600 bucks. I won't lie though - I do love the Heartbreaker :)

There's also the new Mathews Jewel - a mere $1,000 complete BARE ( no quiver, sight, stabilizer, NOTHING).... :)
  • PanteraGirl
    Options

Wow! 80 lbs! LOL I don't think i will ever.....haha
  • PanteraGirl
    Options

When I first started, I only could pull 18 lbs....I'm now at 42!! Start workin' that upper body :)

Be cautious of trying someone else's bow - bows are very often set for their specific user. If you guys have different draw lengths, anchor points, etc...., it could effect how her bow shoots for YOU. You'd be better served by going to an outdoor/hunting retailer (Sportsmen's Warehouse, Cabella's, Gander Mountain, Bass Pro Shops ) if you have one...they'll let you test shoot bows at most of those places! You'll get a better feel for shooting a bow that way.

The Razor Edge, for what you get, is about the most affordable I've found.....you start getting pretty pricey when you get towards Hoyts and whatnot. Even the Bear Homewrecker and the Bowtech Heartbreaker are 450-600 bucks. I won't lie though - I do love the Heartbreaker :)

There's also the new Mathews Jewel - a mere $1,000 complete BARE ( no quiver, sight, stabilizer, NOTHING).... :)

We do have a Bass Pro about 45 minutes away! I should see if they allow testing...I think they do.....Very true about what you said about trying my friends bow. Next time I drive by Bass Pro I'm going to pop my head in! I love that store!! LOL
  • quixoticmantis
    Options

We do have a Bass Pro about 45 minutes away! I should see if they allow testing...I think they do.....Very true about what you said about trying my friends bow. Next time I drive by Bass Pro I'm going to pop my head in! I love that store!! LOL

Oh honey, I could wander around Bass Pro Shops for HOURS. Keep us updated on how it goes :)
  • CarrieBeard
    CarrieBeard Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    3 weeks ago I got my 1st bow and I am already in the woods with it. I have a Mathews Mission Craze! IT IS WONDERFUL.
    I am pulling 45 lbs , after starting at 28lbs...
    My whole set up.. including 6 arrows was less than $500.

I am blessed to have a husband that has competed in archery and has hunted for years... so I have a Great coach (most of the time).

I agree... don't rely on "trying someone elses bow". it is NOT the same. A good bow shop / sporting goods store should be able to help you "try on" a bow. They have ones they can quickly set up and adjust, so you can see what you think.

Good Luck!
  • dsmease7
    dsmease7 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I have a Tenpoint Stealth XLT crossbow I just started using this season. I love the crossbow. I was able to let my 7 year old son even use it to shoot his first deer, a 7 point buck, this past Saturday.
  • RavenhairedWoman
    RavenhairedWoman Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    My dad and I both use Excalibur crossbows for the deer d-pop program that we are a part of. I have the Excalibur Ibex. My only complaint with it is that the scope mounts that come with it are crap. Once we found better rings that fit we doubled up the scope rings in front and back. I tripped and sent my bow rolling, shot it later and it was still dead on. I love the ease of it. My range is a bit limited since I have to watch the arms to make sure they don't smack into anything when I take a shot. Eventually once I am in better shape and have my arm strength up to snuff I'll most likely look into a compound. We use firebolt arrows and currently I use 125 Thunderheads broadheads. Thinking about using expandable broadheads next season though, bigger hole, and the deer are usually easier to track.
  • songdogshooter41
    songdogshooter41 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I am shooting a Diamond Black Ice. Absolutly LOVE it! My seven year old shoots a Mission (yeah, I adjusted it up for my and tried it out) I like it too. I have a Pro Shop close to me, so I have literally spent hundreds getting the best equipment that I could at the time. I just changed jobs so my income has changed, but at least I still have great toys! I have "killed " my deer target out to 80 yards, but I wouldn't EVER shoot at a live critter at that range. Im pretty good out to 50 yards (hitting playing cards and such)
  • therealsuperbigrob
    therealsuperbigrob Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    My main bow is a Kohanna 64" longbow it pulls 60lbs @ 28 inch draw. I draw 30 so its around 67lbs. My others are a Ben Pearson recurve 70lbs @28 and a Bear Grizzley green stripe that pulls 55lbs it was made in the 60's.
    I prefer a simple stick and string for many reasons, first and foremost it either shoots or the bow is broken. I don't miss because my sights are off or a bolt came loose and scarred the game away. I'm not detracting anything from modern high speed bows they are very cool how fast and quiiet they are. I prefer the challenge of having to make sure that my form is spot on and I do everything the same way every shot. Ive learned more spending a week in the woods with my long bow than years of hunting with modern equipment. I need to be able to get within about 20 yards to take a solid shot. If Im feeling really good might stretch it to 25. People may laugh at my little 20 yard shots but remember I have to be able to sneak up that close or I go home hungery. These bows have been feeding families for a thousand years. Killed everything from cape buffalo to grizzly bears, rabbits and squirels.
  • CherieOakley
    Options
    I shoot a Mathews Ignition, drop away arrow rest, one pin sight with the carbon express arrows and Thunderhead broadheads. My first bow was a sweet PSE and aluminum arrows and I've got my only deer with that set up. The only reason I bought the Ignition was my PSE maxed out at 50 lbs. There is nothing better in the world (except grandkids) (and my husband) (and my kids) (and bass fishing) (not necessarily in that order) than the smell of that first day bow hunting-- walking in the dark, senses on high alert, running into a straggling raccoon making its way home from a long night out, and taking stand. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh..... I truly can close my eyes, breathe in and almost smell the autumn leafy dampness.
  • CarrieBeard
    Options
    Still Lovin my Mathews/Mission Craze! Mathews is a GREAT company. Although it is the beginning of Turkey Season here... already counting down the days 'til BOW SEASON! (Mississippi Turkeys are tooooo spooky for me to hunt with my bow... not yet anyway) :wink:
  • CherieOakley
    Options
    Once upon a time I had a goal of sticking a tom. I've given up--I can't be so still to call and draw. Have a good week, CarrieBeard!! :glasses:
  • CarrieBeard
    Options
    Oct. 2013 Bow season.... took 1st deer with a bow. 120 lb doe. very exciting.
    Mission Craze and Muzzy broadheads did the job.... LOTS of practice this summer. :blushing:
  • tedavis60
    tedavis60 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hoyt Charger. 67#. Practice pretty much year round. Most of my hunts now are western hunts (elk, deer and some turkey). Grew up in TN where I did a lot of whitetail hunting.
  • trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Mathews Z7 Xtreme 50# Draw . I love it