Brands for homemade yogurt and butter

Options
sillyli234
sillyli234 Posts: 124 Member
Hi there,

I am thinking after my whole30, I may add in some homemade yogurt, almond milk, and possibly butter. What brands do the primal folks and/or not as strict Paleo peeps use to make a starter yogurt or what brands do you buy to incorporate dairy into this lifestyle?

Replies

• butterbear1980
    butterbear1980 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Organic Valley is a high integrity company. I eat their heavy cream, aged cheese, and cultured butter....mmmmm.
    We have a cow and I have used Organic Valley plain full fat yogurt as a starter to make yogurt.

Have fun adding dairy back in; for me that's the hardest part of a whole 30. I could do whole 30 365 days a year if I could trade the fruit and nuts for high quality full fat diary. :)
    ~m
  • sillyli234
    Options
    No way-I LOVE my pecans/walnuts/almonds! I have fruit 1-2 a week if even that. only dairy item I miss is yogurt so far.
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I am thinking after my whole30, I may add in some homemade yogurt, almond milk, and possibly butter. What brands do the primal folks and/or not as strict Paleo peeps use to make a starter yogurt or what brands do you buy to incorporate dairy into this lifestyle?
    Almond milk: it's a manufactured food. I wouldn't use it.
    Butter: Organic Valley pasture butter if you can find it. Kerry Gold (pastured but not certified organic) if you can't.
    Yogurt: goat yogurt. Either Capretta or Redwood Hill Farm.
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    Options
    It depends on where you are living I suppose.
    Here in Canada we have no access to Kerygold butter but can access the cheese.
    Almond milk is very highly processed and it's easy to make your own.All you need is a nut milk bag..if you are in the US,whole foods sells them.
    As for yogurt,the same can be said as the above,make it yourself
  • sillyli234
    Options
    Yes, I plan on making my OWN yogurt, OWN almond milk, AND OWN butter, but you need to start out with cultures and other materials in order to get your first patch so I HAVE to buy SOMETHING in order to start them.

Sounds like organic valley and kerrygold is what I am hearing so far.
  • sillyli234
    Options
    It depends on where you are living I suppose.
    Here in Canada we have no access to Kerygold butter but can access the cheese.
    Almond milk is very highly processed and it's easy to make your own.All you need is a nut milk bag..if you are in the US,whole foods sells them.
    As for yogurt,the same can be said as the above,make it yourself

yep, already bought a nutbag, but in the case of making my own almond milk, I was wondering what almonds people use. I buy raw, unsalted almonds currently from several different grocery stores-usually just the store brand though.
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Snowville Creamery is what I would use for butter and yogurt. It is in Ohio and only sold regionally. I see you are in Pennsylvania, I'm not sure if you can get your hands on it or not but it is what I would recommend.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I make a coconut milk kefir. I buy the starter from Dr. Mercola (www.mercola.com). He has a vegetable starter too and it worked awesome on mini cucumbers.

I love dairy but I do try to avoid it as much as possible because the only kinds I have available are highly processed commercial varieties. They are pasteurized, not grass fed, and have crappy ingredients, and are likely dead (re yogurt etc) so there's just no benefits to consuming them.

I don't do homemade nut milks either because I think the coconut milk is healthier and the nuts I buy are just too expensive to use in that way.
  • sillyli234
    Options
    I make a coconut milk kefir. I buy the starter from Dr. Mercola (www.mercola.com). He has a vegetable starter too and it worked awesome on mini cucumbers.

I love dairy but I do try to avoid it as much as possible because the only kinds I have available are highly processed commercial varieties. They are pasteurized, not grass fed, and have crappy ingredients, and are likely dead (re yogurt etc) so there's just no benefits to consuming them.

I don't do homemade nut milks either because I think the coconut milk is healthier and the nuts I buy are just too expensive to use in that way.

Sounds delicious. I will definitely check out the website you posted. Thank you!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Since you're in PA, you can buy raw milk, which I highly recommend over the pasteurized (and worse, homogenized) stuff. You're only about an hour away from Lancaster, so there should be Amish in your area. They usually sell things like milk for cheap (like as low as $3/gallon). It makes fantastic butter (just make sure to skim off the cream before you drink from it, otherwise you won't get as much cream). Also, the fat in the milk makes the yogurt creamier, so keep that in mind if you want to make both milk and butter from the same batch. You might even be able to talk to the farmer about getting straight cream, and just use that for the butter.

For starter cultures, I like Snowville Creamery's yogurt, but when I can't get my hands on that, I just go with Liberte's Vanilla. The way I look at it is that you're only using a tablespoon or two to start things off, and you can then feed from your own stock, so the bacteria itself is what matters most (and any added sugar will get eaten by the bacteria). If you're concerned about it, though, by all means, find a yogurt that has the fewest ingredients.

As for almonds, you'll want to make sure you get raw ones (they have a lot of Omega-6s, and you don't want to risk getting oxidized fats from over-roasted nuts; and if you're not worried about it, buying raw gives you the option of roasting them yourself). Also, you probably want to get organic ones, due to how non-organic ones are treated. Other than that, I'm not sure brand matters much (I usually buy them in bulk, so there isn't a brand to be had, anyway).
  • sillyli234
    Options
    Since you're in PA, you can buy raw milk, which I highly recommend over the pasteurized (and worse, homogenized) stuff. You're only about an hour away from Lancaster, so there should be Amish in your area. They usually sell things like milk for cheap (like as low as $3/gallon). It makes fantastic butter (just make sure to skim off the cream before you drink from it, otherwise you won't get as much cream). Also, the fat in the milk makes the yogurt creamier, so keep that in mind if you want to make both milk and butter from the same batch. You might even be able to talk to the farmer about getting straight cream, and just use that for the butter.

For starter cultures, I like Snowville Creamery's yogurt, but when I can't get my hands on that, I just go with Liberte's Vanilla. The way I look at it is that you're only using a tablespoon or two to start things off, and you can then feed from your own stock, so the bacteria itself is what matters most (and any added sugar will get eaten by the bacteria). If you're concerned about it, though, by all means, find a yogurt that has the fewest ingredients.

As for almonds, you'll want to make sure you get raw ones (they have a lot of Omega-6s, and you don't want to risk getting oxidized fats from over-roasted nuts; and if you're not worried about it, buying raw gives you the option of roasting them yourself). Also, you probably want to get organic ones, due to how non-organic ones are treated. Other than that, I'm not sure brand matters much (I usually buy them in bulk, so there isn't a brand to be had, anyway).

Yes, we have some Amish who come up to Allentown from Lancaster county with product at the Farmer's market. My mother in law will purchase eggs and meat from a specific farmer so I should inquire about the milk and butter. Thank you for your comment!