February Challenge!

Options
chownot
chownot Posts: 46 Member
Do you have 20 pounds or less to lose? Let's share our diet and exercise tips. That last 20 or only 15 is the hardest to lose. I've tried Atkins and lost initially and then after 3 more weeks only lost 1/2 pound. I'm now trying Ideal Protein. What are you doing?

Replies

• rwilley35
    rwilley35 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I've lost a total of 42 lbs through diet and moderate exercise for the past 5 years. I was finally ready to get crazy on this last 15-20# that is being more stubborn than my 11 y/o daughter. I just finished week one of P90x. The workout is just what I expected and what I like. I'm a Marine who's been off active duty for 18years and all other exercises have bored me to death. So far the workouts haven't been to terrible awful on my bad knee. Looking forward to some added motivation from the group.
  • CookieEmporium
    CookieEmporium Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Yes, under 20! I've gained back 10-12 of the pounds I lost four years ago (over the last year), so I'm taking charge again and stopping it! :smile:
  • cindylu1962
    cindylu1962 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I'm at 59 pounds down since April 2013 but I seem to be stuck for these last 7-15 pounds. I'm just above the normal BMI and want to get firmly planted in it. Lately, it's been Up a 1/2, down a 1/2, up 1, down 1.5.... It's crazy. Healthy tips on how to get these last pounds off would be much appreciated.
  • foxruddellc1
    foxruddellc1 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    My initial plan was to lose 20lbs, I am down 8 and have 12 to go!!! (5'3" starting weight 142, current 134, goal 122) Pants size is about a 5/6right now, hourglass shape.

Glad that someone created this group!!!

I have been eating roughly 1100-1400 calories and walking a lot, usually 2-3 miles a day but it has been really icy and snowing out., (still losing the weight.) My maintenance calories, which I was at for the last 2 weeks, is 2000-1800 calories a day and I do not gain weight on that. I'm lightly active.

No heavy cardio or weight lifting, when I do that I do not lose weight. I know everyone says it speeds up weight loss but I know my body, and it does not help me. I can gain muscle fast so after I lose all the fat I want, I plan on getting back into lifting again.

Been losing about 1lb a week.
  • ChiCasey
    Options
    I am eighteen years old and had identical twin baby girls when I was 16 years old. I went up to about 140 pounds from my natural weight of 100-105 (I fluctuated). I am now down to 120 but wish to get closer to my original weight. I am 5'3" and just want to be able to wear clothes without my little extra bit of pudge around my midesection making me feel uncomfortable and self concious. I've signed up for a gym and intend to go 2-3 days a week with moderae activity on days I don't go. Wish me luck, and I wish you all the same!
  • ddeste20
    Options
    Yay! I'm happy to be here. I have never been on a diet or weight-loss plan before. I'm in my late 20's, have a high metabolism and was a fairly active person before I went back to school to complete my degree in animation. This meant that I had to give up practicing kung fu and working on my feet weekly to sit down in front of a computer or drawing desk for hours. On top of that, I met the love of my life at school (relationship gain, anyone?) Within a year, I had gained 15 pounds and had to go to the hospital for a fainting spell caused by lack of rest, too much stress and dehydration. I've learned a lot about respecting my body in 2013. This year (20forward), I'm putting those lessons into practice. I'm happy to say that I have lost 3 pounds since the New Year, so that's only 12 more to go. I have been practicing yoga and meditation every morning with my boyfriend. We help to keep each other on track. We exercise together, either running, cardio kickboxing or weight training. Once a week, we cook healthy vegetarian meals that last us throughout the week. The meals have help us save money and control our diets. This last week, we made black bean sweet potato chili and it was delicious! Great for lunch or dinner. I just want to kick these last few pounds off while I'm ahead. I can do it and so can you!
  • CandiceTenille
    CandiceTenille Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I keep losing and re-gaining the same 15lbs. Staying consistent has been my biggest challenge. I lose the weight and then go back to old habits. Trying to take it slow this go round and I realize that I just have to keep moving forward. It's a mind game at this point, and having support will definitely help, I'm sure.

I joined a gym and I've started doing cardio for 30-45 minutes per day. Next week I plan on joining one of the strength training classes that they offer and I plan on doing that twice a week.

Here goes nothin!
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,414 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as all of you. Before the holiday's I had about 10 or so lbs to lose but I've since gained more (ugh) Either it's my motivation level or the weather or both :) But I'm here and I'm going to work hard to get it off before summer arrives!
  • chownot
    Options
    Great job on the weight you lost already. OOH Rah. You have this! Make sure you increase your water intake.
  • chownot
    Options
    Foxruddlec,

We are same weight and almost same height. I agree you will know your body the best so if weights don't work for you then don't do them. Sometimes cutting out dairy for a couple of weeks and lowering carbs helps jumpstart the weight loss.
  • BikerJW
    Options
    I had 12 pounds to lose and in 2 weeks I lost 8 on this ultra simple diet for 7 days and I have stuck with it and am still losing....so that's good.....I want to lose the muffin top so I can wear more of my shirts in my closet instead of baggie shirts. The last 4 May become stubborn. I do exercise with HIIT workouts as they work good for me.
  • jesslillyb6
    jesslillyb6 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am 5'7 and 156! I've lost 9 pounds so far but i would like to get down to 140-145 desperately. I am hoping to do this in a few months, definitely before its beach season. I am obsessed with the gym which is great, and ive been eating so well and tracking everything i eat
  • jgarner7
    jgarner7 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've changed my diet and started going to the gym regularly. I lost my first three pounds just from reducing sweets and soda from my diet. I'm using Jillian Michael's book with circuit training exercises (and recipes), interval running/walking, and once a week a boot camp class. I can already see a difference in how clothes fit so I hope that I can tone and continue to lose weight that will stay off!
  • foxruddellc1
    foxruddellc1 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Foxruddlec,

We are same weight and almost same height. I agree you will know your body the best so if weights don't work for you then don't do them. Sometimes cutting out dairy for a couple of weeks and lowering carbs helps jumpstart the weight loss.

I'm also going totally vegan! Guess I should have mentioned that. I'm adding you :)
  • chownot
    Options
    It's great to see so many people, younger, older, kids, no kids, men and women. Shows that unwanted weight effects us all. Today's homework: Post an motivational quote.

Here is mine: IT IS ALL IN THE ATTITUDE!
  • cindylu1962
    Options
    Get all your ducks in a row!
  • cindylu1962
    Options
    Now that we all know our woes of trying to get the last pounds off and to stay off, has anyone done any research on the matter so we can achieve our goals? I am going to look some up and share. I hope you'll do the same. I'm always interested in what healthy ways we can reach our goals. So please share anything you have that will be helpful. Thanks.:drinker:
  • cindylu1962
    Options
    This is from a fitness magazine. Getting the Scale to Budge
    If you still feel you could stand to lose the last 10, experts agree you need to change things up (and not, as I did, optimistically stay the course). Here are four strategies.
    Scrutinize your diet. It's likely you've become a little loose with your program, Beck points out. To correct this, she recommends writing down what you plan to eat for the day and checking off each item as you go. "Just doing this will often make people more conscious of what they're eating and help them to regain control," Beck explains.
    Slash 100 calories from your daily intake. You may need to cut back more than before, since the lighter you are, the fewer calories you may need. "When you're on a trajectory of losing weight, you've got to continually reduce intake," says Finegood.
    Increase the number of calories you burn. Longer workouts aren't necessarily the solution, says Ryan Andrews, RD, an exercise physiologist at Johns Hopkins Weight Management Center. Try a new activity to work different muscles. "Or bump up your speed or intensity level, or do intervals," Andrews suggests.
    Switch your workout to a different part of the day or go to a different gym. This will make your routine feel fresh again. "Change is stimulating, and it can motivate you to exercise harder," Ball says.
    Personally? I'm taking my run outside for a change of terrain and scenery; I've had enough of staying in one place, both body and weight. And now when I get on the scale, I remember it's just a number -- not the only reflection of my health.
    Originally published in FITNESS magazine, March 2007.
  • cindylu1962
    Options
    I had 12 pounds to lose and in 2 weeks I lost 8 on this ultra simple diet for 7 days and I have stuck with it and am still losing....so that's good.....I want to lose the muffin top so I can wear more of my shirts in my closet instead of baggie shirts. The last 4 May become stubborn. I do exercise with HIIT workouts as they work good for me.

Biker JW,
    Would you mind describing this simple diet?
    CindyLu1962
  • chownot
    Options
    Weekly weigh in: How much did you lose this week?

My ticker is actually wrong, my weight went up and now I'm down 3 lbs for the week. 9 lbs for the month. 2 more pounds to underland. I'm really enjoying the Ideal Protein diet.