Recipe advice

Options
ascrit
ascrit Posts: 770 Member
Hello friends

So I have made this recipe before and it was seriously amazing/delicious/easy:
http://pinchofyum.com/healthy-jalapeno-sweet-potato-chicken-chili

I want to make it again but this time in a paleo fashion which means no beans and cheese. Easy enough. But what I would like are some suggestions on what I could replace the beans with.

And please, no "herp, derp, bacon obvi" responses. :laugh:

Replies

• Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    I would put an extra can of tomatos and an extra sweet potato to replace the beans and leave the cheese out. Beans add little favor just substance.
  • pixlamarque
    pixlamarque Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I have made that recipe as well and loved it (although I did add quite a bit more spice). I just leave the beans out. There really isn't anything I can think of with which to replace them. Instead of cheese, top with a healthy squeeze of lime juice and some sliced avocados. You can always add a bit more chicken or veg as well since you are leaving out the beans.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I just omit whatever I want to omit. Beans are the blandest foods and make me sick. Easy choice.

Also, when I make tomato based foods I often use less tomatoes since I am sensitive to nightshades and high carbs. I love tomato sauces and chilis etc but that's why they aren't common foods for me; too many tomatoes and too much sugar (yup natural, but still an issue for me). :(

Adding avocado sounds like a great idea to me.

(I had to google "herp, derp". lol I feel so old....)
  • Quinnstinct
    Quinnstinct Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Although I really love beans I'd just omit them. The idea of another can of tomatoes is good as well. I wouldn't add more sweet potato because it might unbalance the sweet/hot/savory thing going on. Report back please!
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I'm one who believes that chili ISN'T chili if it has beans in it - chili is a meat-and-chili-only dish (my recipe uses beef, tomatoes and eight different types of chiles and chile powders for the proper flavor) . So I'd go along with those who say just drop the beans.

But I'm sure the recipe needs to produce enough for the meal, and beans are used as a bulk extender. If I had to go that route, I'd probably use a half-pound or so of mushrooms. That will add to the mouthfeel, boost the umami profile (especially if you use shiitakes) and keep the serving size where you need it.

Just get whole shrooms and quarter them, and add them in 'Step 3'. Since the shrooms have a high water content, you may not need to add as much water in 'Step 4'.
  • ascrit
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback everyone. Mushrooms are a great idea, same as some more vegetables...maybe peppers or even broccoli!
  • ascrit
    Options
    So I ended up making the recipe and subbed in a yellow and red bell pepper for the beans. It turned out pretty good. :smile: