Advice on lifting program for newbie during weight loss?

Options
Cindyinpg
Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
Hi Sara and Sidesteel. I was just wondering if I could get some advice on where to begin when it comes to weight training.
Some quick background: I started at 300lbs and I have lost about 117lbs in 14 months: 87 of them on here since October 1st.  I ate at an average weekly calorie deficit to lose about 2lbs a week. I incorporated lots of cardio (kickboxing classes, C25K, etc, and still do) but I did not lift weights except for the occasional Barbie bells used in a exercise DVD or at one of my classes.  I am still about 5-10lbs from a healthy BMI and maybe 20-30 from goal, but I've seen the fantastic results people have gotten from lifting while in weight loss and that has convinced me to get started. I don't normally go to a gym, as I have a treadmill, elliptical and a recumbent bike at home. I do have access to free weights, barbells and a bench as well, but nothing else too fancy. 
    I think I have looked into so many programs that I have managed to confuse myself. I downloaded an 8 week fat loss program from fitnessblender that uses YouTube videos and which seems to incorporate a lot of strength training and I also looked at this here: http://scoobysworkshop.com/womens-beginning-dumbbell-workout/.  (30 minutes of Burpees, pushups, full body dumbell workout and planks)  I like that one because it is only 30 minutes 3 times a week and is very basic. ) Or should I look into a different kind of program entirely? Like NROLFW or Stronglifts? Is there anything else I should keep in mind before I start? My TDEE (according to my Bodymedia) is about 3000 and I eat 2000-2200 calories per day. 50-25-25 macros and I usually aim for about 150g protein. 
PS. Thank you both for all the myth-busting and the common sense posts you've made on the forums! It was learning that I can have a pop-tart or some ice cream that has kept me on track this time and has helped me to develop a sustainable plan, rather than being on a diet that was doomed to fail. You guys totally rock!

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Crap - sorry, this got missed. Will try to get to ASAP.
  • Cindyinpg
    Options
    No rush at all. Whenever you get time. Thank you very much, in advance. :flowerforyou:
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Tagging
  • Zaniejane
    Zaniejane Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I just have to interrupt this thread to say wow!!! Cindy:). You have made incredible progress!!!:flowerforyou:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Hi!

Echo'ing the congratulations on your weight loss so far.

Do you have a rack/power cage? Also, do you have access to dumbbells and what weights do you have for the barbell?
  • Cindyinpg
    Options
    Hi!

Do you have a rack/power cage? Also, do you have access to dumbbells and what weights do you have for the barbell?
    Thanks! Yes, I have made quite a bit of progress on my own, but am now ready to take it to the next level. I don't have a rack or power cage, not sure what that is, actually. I am very clueless to weight lifting. But I do have a bunch of different weights of dumbells some adjustable, some not, and what I would think is a full range of weights for a barbell. Plus an old Weider bench that had those plastic elastic things on it to provide resistance on different attachments. It's older than God probably and I'm not sure of what to do with it properly, but I can learn.
  • nelinelineli
    nelinelineli Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Bump. In the same situation, trying to start home weight training and completely confused.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Hi!

Thanks! Yes, I have made quite a bit of progress on my own, but am now ready to take it to the next level. I don't have a rack or power cage, not sure what that is, actually. I am very clueless to weight lifting. But I do have a bunch of different weights of dumbells some adjustable, some not, and what I would think is a full range of weights for a barbell. Plus an old Weider bench that had those plastic elastic things on it to provide resistance on different attachments. It's older than God probably and I'm not sure of what to do with it properly, but I can learn.

I would suggest the AllPro routine - swapping out the squats for Bulgarian Split Squats and the barbell bench and OHP for dumbbell bench and seated press as you do not have a cage/rack.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843&page=1

A Simple beginner's Routine
    You will do 3 work outs per week on non consecutive days. The first work out is your heavy work out. The second work out is your medium work out, use 10% less weight for your work sets. The final work out for the week is your lite work out, use 20% less weight.

Do a lite warm up with 1/4 of your work sets weight. Do a medium warm up with 1/2 of your work sets weight. Do 2 work sets with the same weight. Choose a starting weight and start light.

These are the seven exercises you will be starting with.

Squats
    Bench Presses
    Bent-Over Rows
    Overhead Barbell Presses
    Stiff-Legged Deadlifts
    Barbell Curls
    Calf Raises

You will be running this program on a five week cycle as follows:
    The first week do all 4 sets for 8 reps.
    The second week do all 4 sets for 9 reps.
    The third week do all 4 sets for 10 reps.
    The fourth week do all 4 sets for 11 reps.
    The fifth week do all 4 sets for 12 reps.
    If you got all of the required reps on the fifth week then increase the weight by 10% and

repeat the cycle. If you didn't get all of the reps on the fifth week then repeat the cycle with the same weight. You shouldn't need more than one minute rest between the warm up sets and you shouldn't need more than one minute thirty seconds between the work sets.

For the swaps - see here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/902569-barbell-routines-when-you-only-have-dumbbells

You may have to be a little creative, depending on what the weight increments you have is, as its hard to go up on upper body if you only have 5lb increment DBs
  • Cindyinpg
    Options
    Hi!

I would suggest the AllPro routine - swapping out the squats for Bulgarian Split Squats and the barbell bench and OHP for dumbbell bench and seated press as you do not have a cage/rack.

You will do 3 work outs per week on non consecutive days. The first work out is your heavy work out. The second work out is your medium work out, use 10% less weight for your work sets. The final work out for the week is your lite work out, use 20% less weight.

Do a lite warm up with 1/4 of your work sets weight. Do a medium warm up with 1/2 of your work sets weight. Do 2 work sets with the same weight. Choose a starting weight and start light.

Squats
    Bench Presses
    Bent-Over Rows
    Overhead Barbell Presses
    Stiff-Legged Deadlifts
    Barbell Curls
    Calf Raises

If you got all of the required reps on the fifth week then increase the weight by 10% and

repeat the cycle. If you didn't get all of the reps on the fifth week then repeat the cycle with the same weight. You shouldn't need more than one minute rest between the warm up sets and you shouldn't need more than one minute thirty seconds between the work sets.

For the swaps - see here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/902569-barbell-routines-when-you-only-have-dumbbells

You may have to be a little creative, depending on what the weight increments you have is, as its hard to go up on upper body if you only have 5lb increment DBs
    Okay. Thanks a lot! That sounds perfect. I will get started on it. I'm assuming my diet is okay for now? I run at an 800 calorie deficit (I still have about 30lbs to lose). And 50/25/25 ish macros with a goal of 150grams of protein, is about right? My most strenuous cardio days are Tuesdays and Thursdays (kickboxing classes), so I guess I should lift on M/W/F?
    Edit: those swaps look amazing. Just watched the video on the Bulgarian Split Squats. Looks amazing! I am so excited to get started. I am stuck at work today, but am busy programming your routine into my Jefit App, which is a great app for keeping track of a routine, but was giving me too much information and far too many options.
  • thesifter
    thesifter Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Bump! and Cindy Wow! inspiring.
  • Cindyinpg
    Options
    Thanks! New Zealand, eh? As a British Columbian and a Lord of The Rings fan, I believe you live in the most beautiful place in the world and that I live in the 2nd.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Hi!

Squats
    Bench Presses
    Bent-Over Rows
    Overhead Barbell Presses
    Stiff-Legged Deadlifts
    Barbell Curls
    Calf Raises

Okay. Thanks a lot! That sounds perfect. I will get started on it. I'm assuming my diet is okay for now? I run at an 800 calorie deficit (I still have about 30lbs to lose). And 50/25/25 ish macros with a goal of 150grams of protein, is about right? My most strenuous cardio days are Tuesdays and Thursdays (kickboxing classes), so I guess I should lift on M/W/F?
    Edit: those swaps look amazing. Just watched the video on the Bulgarian Split Squats. Looks amazing! I am so excited to get started. I am stuck at work today, but am busy programming your routine into my Jefit App, which is a great app for keeping track of a routine, but was giving me too much information and far too many options.

Re your intake - what has your weight been doing over the last say 4 weeks?

Your protein sounds a bit high - what are your stats? Height, weight (and BF% if you know it).

And yes - MWF sounds good.
  • Cindyinpg
    Options
    Actually, it has slowed down, 1lb a week maybe, so I upped it to 1400 net about to weeks ago and now it has really slowed down, maybe 1/2 a lb a week. I am not in a big rush anymore though. I am enjoying the journey. I am 5'11" weigh 183 right now. A few online calculators give me BF percentage of 28-29%. My waist is 36 and hips 44, so I'm still quite chunky in spots. Yes, I was wondering if that was a bit too much protein. I would gladly lower it, I like my carbs and fat.:laugh:

Edited to explain,: I used to be at 1200 net, which was about 1000 calories deficit, (I was really eating 2000 and burning 3000 on average) and i lost 2lbs a week every week for better than a year until it finally slowed down to 1 lb a week just in the last month or two. So I upped it to 1400 net and have a deficit of only 800. (so now I'm eating about 2200 and still burning 3000) It's getting harder to burn that 3000 calorie goal everyday, but I guess that's how it goes as you lose weight. :ohwell:
  • thesifter
    thesifter Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Thanks! New Zealand, eh? As a British Columbian and a Lord of The Rings fan, I believe you live in the most beautiful place in the world and that I live in the 2nd.

Shucks, BC is beautiful too! Been there done that! :)
  • Vini9
    Vini9 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Bumping this program sounds like it may work for my equipment :)
  • indunna
    indunna Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Bumping
  • WannabeSC
    WannabeSC Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Sara and Sidesteel you are providing a great service....love to read and learn and watch you help people.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Sara and Sidesteel you are providing a great service....love to read and learn and watch you help people.

Thanks. This particular thread was ALL Sara. In fact, I tried to offer input and she was like STFU BISH. So I just watched.

But thank you! ;)