Squats: How low should you go?

Options
2»

Replies

• wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    I go at least parallel, preferably lower. As weights are heavier I have a harder time going less than parallel.

I'm glad it's not just me. I easily went ATG on lighter weights, but once I got up there, it's all I can do to get to parallel.
  • hnsaunde
    hnsaunde Posts: 757 Member
    Options

K I have to change mine now....when I got my form check videos up I was just barely parallel...so I deloaded last night by 30lbs and got almost atg...what a difference that made...I might have to change where the bar sits tho too.

I will now be concentrating on getting as low as I can while still increasing my weight but I will now always ensure I am below parallel...maybe no atg...but below parallel...my bum hurts today....:sad: :blushing: :sad: :blushing: :sad: but that is a good thing

bar position and hip flexibility/stance will play a big part in depth. You will get much deeper from a front squat or Oly squat than from a low bar just because your torso is more upright and you can drop in easier

Now this is proper ATG!!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

3f711_ORIG-9feb2_*kitten*_to_grass_zps98db4ba8.jpg

Totally agree! I've hit that depth with back squats, but with considerable less weight :P

@ SezxyStef, bar placement and depth really depends on the type of squats you want to do. I'm not an expert on this by any means, but my first form videos showed me with a bar high on my shoulders and not quite hitting depth. I posted them in the ETP group, and this what I interpreted from the answers I got.

Typically people can lift more weight with low bar, but they only go to parallel or an inch below.

High bar (ATG or Olympic squats) typically people can't lift as much weight, and the bar is much higher on the shoulders, and you go way below parallel.

They both work legs and core, but in slightly different ways (this is where I got lost in the technical part a bit).

For low bar, you'll place the bar lower on your back, lean forward a bit more than you would with the bar higher (so it lines up with your midfoot), and you want to go to parallel or a bit below, as long as your form doesn't break. When I do them, my feet are placed slightly wider than shoulder width, and I push through my heels to get out of the hole.

For high bar, you want the bar about where you've got it now (from your videos), you want to have an upright straight back, (less leaning forward than in a low bar), and then you sort of just drop down as low as you can go, until you're just about sitting on your feet. For feet placement, mine are typically closer together, with my feet turned out more, and I concentrate on pushing through the middle of my feet, rather than through my heels (I fall over if I push through my heels with ATG because there's less leaning forward).

Medhi does recommend low bar for the SL program, but I was told in ETP to do whatever type I'm the most comfortable with, but to make sure my bar placement, depth, and feet placement all lined up for the type of squat I'm doing.

Essentially, I had high bar placement, but I was only hitting parallel depth, so they told me to either move the bar lower on my back (low bar) or lean forward less and go ATG (high bar).

Sorry for the long post, hopefully that's not too confusing!
  • jobegone
    Options
    When i first starting lifting I quickly damaged my leg - not enough to stop me lifting though as I was accutely aware it wasn't what I was doing, rather how I was doing it. I think I was squatting just about parallel then but I went to a competitive lifters gym when I was visiting home and the coach - an old friend from school knew instantly what was wrong just my squat form.

I had researched myself and believed it to be an IT band issue and he told me to attempt an ATG squat, like literally, hamstrings on calves and I felt no pain whatsoever. Also feels like it works out my legs overall alot more as I think I was straining just my quads before. Im no expert but he also said that it is ok for your knees to track slightly over your toes too. Overall my squatting feels better, no pain and I feel I could improve doing it this way.

Looking around though it seems like there are loads of options, slightly different techniques etc that you just have to find whats good for you. Aslong as you've got the basic technique down and everything is tracking and tight.

As I said Im not expert though !!
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I value my knee health so I always squat to just below parallel. If I can't get there, then it's time to take some weight off the bar.
  • fabfindz05
    fabfindz05 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I can only go parallel. Even doing body weight only, parallel is as far I can go without falling backwards. This has been an issue since birth....