Let's Talk Nutrition

Options
Julie20fan
Julie20fan Posts: 361 Member
Good Morning Everyone and Happy Monday.

I wanted to start off today with talking about nutrition. Reading your introductions it seems the majority of you have a problem with portion control. This seems to be the root of all evil when it comes to nutrition. I think we each have experienced with overeating or binge eating as some have stated. Let's focus on that for a minute. I would like for each of you to visualize what you have on your plate in front of you. Is it your breakfast, lunch or dinner that you find yourself overeating? Now that you see your plate of food in front of you ask yourself this question. What on this plate could I have less of? What is the answer to this question? Take a moment and then take half of whatever you think you need less of and take it off your plate. Let's give this a try this week and let's see where it takes each of you. What do you think?

Replies

• claudia799903
    claudia799903 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Personally I overeat when I don't eat bigger meals throughout the day, then I want to overeat at night. I noticed last night when I was tired I had some junk food cravings too. I did have a little snack but I didn't go over my calories for the day so I was happy. I would rather have eaten earlier because the scale was a little up this morning. I know that it fluctuates though so I don't let it get me down.
  • Julie20fan
    Options
    Claudia,

When you are starting to portion control your meals you will feel a little hungry. It's your bodies way of making the changes it needs. If you feel hungry drink some water and yes if need be have a small healthy snack. How much water are you drinking during the day?

As for the scale? How often are you weighing yourself? The reason I ask is the scale can work against someone who is trying to live a healthier lifestyle. I would suggest only weighing yourself every 30 days. Allow your clothes to make the gauge of how you are feeling. Are your clothes feeling baggy, etc. This way you will not get discouraged if you don't see the scale move. How does that sound?
  • kcl29
    kcl29 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I am totally onboard this week with concentrating on portion control. I will try the visualizing my plate technique. It's a great focus for the week. Thanks, Julie.

As for not getting on the scale for 30 days - I would have to go to rehab! I am addicted to weighing every day when I am watching my diet. I know there are daily fluctuations but I just have to hop on. I also record my weight loss once a week.

Have a terrific week everyone - and lets all follow Julie's lead and watch our portions!

Kathy
  • claudia799903
    Options
    Julie-
    I'm trying to drink a lot of water but I don't think I'm drinking enough. I'm only drinking water though so I know that's good. I've been using this water flavoring liquid called Mio. No calories no sugar no sodium. I use it once or twice a day in a bottle of water. I feel really thirsty and dry mouth a lot though. How many bottles should I drink a day Julie? I'm drinking when thirsty of course but I think I'm drinking less liquid now then before because I was drinking tons of soda and lemon aid. Now it's strictly water. As for the scale use I will try my hardest to stay off of it. I'm definitely a scale junkie LOL! I know it's bad though and discouraging. It's so hard though, but I am seeing results in the fitting of my clothing. My family is also seeing my results so they have been complimenting me and that feels nice.
  • Julie20fan
    Options
    Kathy~

I am happy that I am able to help you while you are on your fitness and healthy journey. How about this? Set a goal to only weigh yourself once a week then. This way at the end of the week when you see the change it is more of an accomplishment. Let me know how the week goes for you with the portion control. Ii am rooting for you.
  • Julie20fan
    Options
    Claudia~

You are doing great and made a drastic change by switching to water. Try adding frozen fruit to your water. The Mio maybe causing you to feel dehydrated. Try the fruit and see if that makes a difference. How many glasses of water on average do you think you drink? The way to find out how much water you should take in daily is to first weight yourself. Divide this number in half and this will give you how many ounces of water you should be drinking. How does that sound?
  • claudia799903
    Options
    Julie-

I could try the fruit. that sounds like a plan. Do you know why the Mio would cause dehydration? just curious.
  • kristeyhynes
    Options
    My biggest issue is overeating in the evening. I do not eat all day then at supper time I eat more then I should. Tonight is my first night in the group and I just got done eating. I actually only ate half of the portion I usually do. I am aware that I need to focus on eating something during the day as well.
  • Julie20fan
    Options
    My biggest issue is overeating in the evening. I do not eat all day then at supper time I eat more then I should. Tonight is my first night in the group and I just got done eating. I actually only ate half of the portion I usually do. I am aware that I need to focus on eating something during the day as well.

Kristey~

Especially now you are introducing working out. Always remember your body needs fuel to keep going. Without the proper fuel your body starts to shut down. Try taking a day when you are not working and less busy and do some food prep. Cut up fresh veggies. You can either keep them in their raw state or you can roast them and have then readily available for the next few days. The same goes with other side dishes such as brown rice or quinoa. This helps take the guess work out of what you are going to eat. Take snacks to work such as fresh fruit and veggies. The more you eat the more you are going to burn.
  • Julie20fan
    Options
    Julie-

I could try the fruit. that sounds like a plan. Do you know why the Mio would cause dehydration? just curious.

How is the fresh fruit in the water going?
  • claudia799903
    Options
    Haven't tries the fruit yet but I dropped the Mio and have been drinking only water. It seems to be helping the dehydration feeling. I've been numbering my water bottles so I know how many I am drinking.
  • Julie20fan
    Options
    Haven't tries the fruit yet but I dropped the Mio and have been drinking only water. It seems to be helping the dehydration feeling. I've been numbering my water bottles so I know how many I am drinking.
    [/quote

Awesome job. I thought it might be the Mio making you dehydrated. Glad you cut that out.
  • morris76058
    morris76058 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I don't often have a problem with portion control. In fact too often I forget to eat. Sometimes not getting enough calories can be just as bad as too many calories. I just have to make sure that my portions are the correct foods: protein, low fat and calories, and low carbs.
  • Julie20fan
    Options
    I don't often have a problem with portion control. In fact too often I forget to eat. Sometimes not getting enough calories can be just as bad as too many calories. I just have to make sure that my portions are the correct foods: protein, low fat and calories, and low carbs.

Exactly, you have yourself on the right path. Not eating can do just as much harm as overeating. Your body needs fuel to keep you going right? Keep up the great work. I know you will reach your goal before going to Cancun.
  • morris76058
    morris76058 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'm sure going to give it my all!