No progress

Options
A little background. I started to weight train back in Febuary of 2012. At the time I weighed 235lbs. With weight training and a calorie deficit I reduced my weight to about 175lbs in about 6 months while all my lifts were increasing. for the next yearish I continued to follow my weight lifting routine of a single body part per day while eating at maintenance or slightly above. up until about 6 months ago all my lifts were still improving. Getting frustrated I swtiched my routine to something that was more of a push pull routine. Still I have not seen any improvment in my lifts. I know that there is room for improvment but I have consistently been hitting the gym the last 6 months and I have not been able to increase the weight on any of the lifts that I preform. I know this might not be enough information to understand why im stalling but I will try to follow up with any questions that you have. I will outline my current routine below.

Almost all lifts are 4 sets with 8-12 reps

Monday: Pull 1
Deadlift
standy curls
lat pull down
lateral raises
face pulls

Tuesday: Push 1
Bench
skull crushers
decline
tricept push downs
Overhead ball toss

Wednesday: Legs
Squates
Leg Press
leg curls
leg extensions
hack squats

Thursday: Pull 2
Weighted Pullups
Hang Cleans
inclinde db curls
barbell rows
hammer curls

Friday: Push 2
Incline Bench
Overhead Press
weighted Dips
Tricept extensions (Rope)

I usually take the weekends off. If I do anything it is light recreational cardio. Again im eating around maintenance 2800kcals with 200g protien and 65ish grams fat. Current Body weight varies between 180 and 190 lbs.

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Tagging
  • jdholland5508
    jdholland5508 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    When was the last time you took a deload or an extended training break?
    Are your goals primarily hypertrophy, primarily strength, or a mix of both?
    When you complete the week, on the following Monday do you start with the next day in the cycle or do you start over such that Monday is always pull 1?
    Are all lifts stalled or just certain ones?
  • jdholland5508
    Options
    1) I think the last time I took more than a day or two off was about May 13'. I usually don't do deload weeks. fingers cross I have not had any injuryies.
    2) For the most part I want a mix of both hyportrophy and strength. I feel like I have put on decent size but its kind of hard to quatify which is why its good to have strength gains as well.
    3) Monday is always Pull day 1. Weekends are just recreational stuff.
    4) I would say that I have been doing about the same weight on every lift, however the only ones that I track and can see are stalled are bench, squat, deadlift, weighted chins, weight dips, and OHP.

One thing I wanted to say is for the most part I take every lift to failure or one rep before. I don't know if that could be an issue as well. For the most part I have just been putting my training program together myself so no formal way of trying to increase weight. For a while it was great but obviously its not working now.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    1) I think the last time I took more than a day or two off was about May 13'. I usually don't do deload weeks. fingers cross I have not had any injuryies.
    2) For the most part I want a mix of both hyportrophy and strength. I feel like I have put on decent size but its kind of hard to quatify which is why its good to have strength gains as well.
    3) Monday is always Pull day 1. Weekends are just recreational stuff.
    4) I would say that I have been doing about the same weight on every lift, however the only ones that I track and can see are stalled are bench, squat, deadlift, weighted chins, weight dips, and OHP.

One thing I wanted to say is for the most part I take every lift to failure or one rep before. I don't know if that could be an issue as well. For the most part I have just been putting my training program together myself so no formal way of trying to increase weight. For a while it was great but obviously its not working now.

1) I'd consider a deload if I were in your position. Given that you've not taken time off in such a long period of time there's a good chance that rest might do you some good. Consider taking a week off or take a week at lower volume and/or intensity.

2) I would consider a written program with progression built into it. Making a recommendation would depend on your training experience for starters. So something like PHAT could be good, 5/3/1 could be good, etc.

3) I'd consider balancing this out if you stay with your current program. You're only hitting legs once per week and everything on your upper body is getting hit twice/week based on how you're rotating.

If you stay with your current program I'd first deload, then I'd consider trying a 3x5 on your main barbell lifts and see if you can gain anything out of a linear progression model for a couple months. So for example take a week with 50% volume or even consider taking a week off. When you come back, you could take your current barbell lifts (Squat/Dead/Bench/OHP), reduce them slightly, and hit them for 3x5 and hit deads for 1x5. Increase Squats/Deads by 10lbs each session and Presses by 5lb/session anb repeat. The first few weeks of this will be quite easy but it will ramp up pretty fast.
  • jdholland5508
    Options
    Okay I think I will try some time off and then reduce the weight and try to build up slowly. I had a feeling that going all out every day was not the ideal way to do this. Ill give it a couple months to see if I can squeeze out any more progression.
This discussion has been closed.