Shirataki Noodles

Options
I've been hearing a lot about these lately.....does anyone use them? Thoughts?

Replies

• karryann2008
    Options
    I use them, either barenaked noodles or eat water slim rice. I use them to fill out meals when I'm super hungry and don't want to blow my calories, or if I just fancy rice or noodles. I find them useful and enjoy them.
  • Citrislazer
    Citrislazer Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I use them. The texture is weird if you think of them as noodles. Like karryann, I basically use them as a filler or pretend I'm eating pasta. For the most part, they take on the flavor of your dish. I rinse mine well with warm water before using them. Overall, they're good.
  • oneday987
    oneday987 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Yes I use Slendier Slim Fettucini Noodles... love them :)
  • loriann723
    Options
    Thanks for the input! I will give them a try.
  • loriann723
    Options
    Where do you find these brands?
  • Citrislazer
    Citrislazer Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I get House Foods Tofu Shirataki noodles at my local grocery store. They're in the natural food section in the cold case with the organic milk, cheeses, yogurt, etc.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    We've used them a couple times. They are only carried at one store that is about 10 miles away and they are kind of expensive. I used them in a stirfry veggie side dish and they worked well. I used them as a sub for pasta with turkey meatballs and marinara sauce last weekend- didn't work so well. :)
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Options
    I buy them in Korean store/Asian store. It costs about $1.50 for two servings of those noodles, not any more expensive than regular noodles. I don't use them as Pasta substitute but mostly for stir fry. There are two options one with Tofu and one with no Tofu, I personally don't like the Tofu.
  • primal7
    primal7 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I have tried them but did not like them as much as the Sea Tangle Kelp Noodles.
    You can find them on Amazon, your local health store,Whole Foods, or PCC markets.
    The Sea Tangle noodles take on the flavor of the foods you cook them with.
  • crepes_
    crepes_ Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I buy the House Sharataki noodles on Amazon, but they're also available at my local grocery store by the vegetarian section or produce section. They take on the flavor of the dish, but smell so odd when you open the package so be prepared for that. Rinse them well and then add them to your sauce. I normally rinse and squeeze/pat them dry, leaving them on a towel while I prep the sauce or whatever else is going with them. You may find that you prefer cutting them before adding them to your dish. Some of the noodles are ridiculously long. I just run a knife through them once before tossing in the pan.
  • oneday987
    oneday987 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Just a quick note:

After noodles have been rinsed out they are still very wet .. if you place them in the microwave for about four (4) minutes (longer if you prefer - but first check) they will dry out and are then better for sauce type dishes such as carbonara, bolognaise, etc.
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Love them! :laugh:
  • MistressPi
    MistressPi Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I love them, too. Last night I had some of the fettucini shape seasoned with minced garlic sauteed in olive oil and butter, red pepper flakes, chopped fresh cilantro, parmesan cheese, and steamed lobster tail. Much yum.
  • awiswasser
    Options
    I love the angel hair shirataki noodles. I order the Miracle Noodle from Amazon. I rinse them, cut them then throw them in a skillet until they are dry. After they are dry I start adding whatever I want. My favorite is an alfredo type with 1 tbsp butter and 2 oz of cream cheese and then I keep frozen chicken breast strips in the freezer to throw in there. I use the noodles to bulk up a full fat meal. If we have left overs from meat/veggie meal I will fill the left overs with the noodles. You do have to really season the noodles though because they have no flavor and only take on the flavor you are cooking it with.
  • amy32lynn
    amy32lynn Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I love them, too. Last night I had some of the fettucini shape seasoned with minced garlic sauteed in olive oil and butter, red pepper flakes, chopped fresh cilantro, parmesan cheese, and steamed lobster tail. Much yum.
    yum!!!!!! im gonna have to try this!!!!!!!