UTI

Options
Rei1988
Rei1988 Posts: 412 Member
Does anyone have a home remedy for UTI that actually works? (Besides cranberry juice)

I wanted to get some D-Mannose because I hear good things but I can't make it to the store :(

Replies

• KarenisPaleo
    KarenisPaleo Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    You have to go to the doctor. Go now. UTI's are miserable. Feel better soon!
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    The only thing a doctor will do for a UTI is prescribe antibiotics so unless it's life threatening, I would treat it yourself at home. The human body is an amazing system when fed properly and supported in healing itself. I used to have UTI chronically, especially when I was a child (I suspect they are often initially caused by antibiotics), but since going Primal/Paleo have not had even a hint of one.

No don't drink cranberry juice because a bunch of sugar will not help. I would do an online search of helpful herbs/teas. I would use tamanu nut oil externally (ya never know and it cures ear infections like crazy). Have bone broth, fermented foods, drink lots of water, and get some rest.
  • KarenisPaleo
    KarenisPaleo Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Urinary Tract Infections are not caused by antibiotics, they are caused by bacteria.

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/urinary-tract-infections-in-teens-and-adults-topic-overview

Go ahead folks, make fun of WebMD, I am referencing this one link because to list all of the data available would be ridiculous. I have battled these throughout my life.

Use home remedies if you would like to try your chances of the infection moving up your bladder to your kidneys. Kidney infections are fun, indeed.

Cranberry juice changes the acidity in your urine and can help with symptoms. It is never a cure.

I really hope you call a doctor, and get well soon.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I have successfully fought off a UTI with d-mannose in combination with cutting out all sugar (including fruit), drinking lots of water and a little bit of Uva Ursi (tastes NASTY!!) However, as another poster pointed out this is a bacterial infection so if you're going to go that route you'd better be extremely careful about keeping an eye on things. My last one I ended up going to the walk in for antibiotics because it did progress past the point of being able to handle it at home.

D-mannose does work but skipping any type of sugar is important because of the way the d-mannose works. Apple cider vinegar is touted all over the internet as a cure but it's never done it for me. A little baking soda can relieve the pain temporarily but it's not fixing anything and you'll want to be careful if you have high blood pressure. Those Azo tabs are magic, even if they do turn your pee kool aid orange.
  • Lizzard_77
    Lizzard_77 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    D-mannose does work but skipping any type of sugar is important because of the way the d-mannose works. Apple cider vinegar is touted all over the internet as a cure but it's never done it for me. A little baking soda can relieve the pain temporarily but it's not fixing anything and you'll want to be careful if you have high blood pressure. Those Azo tabs are magic, even if they do turn your pee kool aid orange.

All of this! Exactly what I was going to prescribe, you now me and my ACV!!! I also second fermented foods to help restore good bacteria. Bitters and Quinine (tonic water, real tonic, not the kind with HFCS) will help too. And if it lasts for more than a few days, even I would probably go to the doc. Good luck, that is absolutely no fun :(
  • GrokRockStar
    GrokRockStar Posts: 2,938 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear of your UTI, bummer :frown: If you're looking for non- traditional medicine, i would agree with a tea for an effective way to cure. The most common herbs for a UTI are uva ursi and marshmallow root. You could also add in some horsetail. I study herbology and am in process of growing my own herbs. You may be able to find the tea of this sort at your local health food store, but it's best to buy the raw herb and make it yourself, it's not that difficult. Good luck and I hope that you find relief soon!
  • GrokRockStar
    Options
    Urinary Tract Infections are not caused by antibiotics, they are caused by bacteria.

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/urinary-tract-infections-in-teens-and-adults-topic-overview

Go ahead folks, make fun of WebMD, I am referencing this one link because to list all of the data available would be ridiculous. I have battled these throughout my life.

Use home remedies if you would like to try your chances of the infection moving up your bladder to your kidneys. Kidney infections are fun, indeed.

Cranberry juice changes the acidity in your urine and can help with symptoms. It is never a cure.

Karen,
    I woul never knock WebMD, it is a great source of information, not just mainstream pharmaceuticals, but also every herb that Mother Nature has created! Before taking herb healing class, WebMD was my number 1 go-to!
  • Rei1988
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies! What I thought was a UTI turned out to be my ovarian cysts rupturing again (oh fun). It usually never happens when I'm eating well but for some reason my platelet count was low. I regulatory take blood thinners for my heart, but temporarily I'll hold off on them ( docs advised this in the past). I read that veggies, exercise could help increase platelet count?
  • GrokRockStar
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies! What I thought was a UTI turned out to be my ovarian cysts rupturing again (oh fun). It usually never happens when I'm eating well but for some reason my platelet count was low. I regulatory take blood thinners for my heart, but temporarily I'll hold off on them ( docs advised this in the past). I read that veggies, exercise could help increase platelet count?

That sounds really uncomfortable :frown: . Definitely veggies and exercise, also omega 3s and vitamin C (my hubby swears by it) would also help to increase your count. I hope that you can find relief soon my dear!
  • Rei1988
    Options
    Thanks! I eat eggs daily so I got them omega-3s. I probably need more raw veggies & exercise.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options

The use of antibiotics messes with the natural balance of bacteria in the human body. Our body is literally a house for bacteria and we have a symbiotic relationship with billions of bacteria. That's how antibiotics cause illness; by killing beneficial bacteria and messing up the body's ability to deal with all manner of infections and illnesses.

I had chronic UTIs and bladder infections most of my life during childhood. I received many doses of antibiotics but only finally resolved them through lifestyle and diet. As mentioned, there is a time to go to the doctor when it becomes life threatening, but running off to the doctor first leads to over-use of antibiotics and increased health problems.