90-Day Fit & Nutr. Challenge Days #34 & #35 Weekend Wrap Up

Options
amccord2
amccord2 Posts: 363 Member
Hello Everyone!!! The heart below is in honor of the fight against Heart Disease in Women. Heart disease is the No. 1 killer of women in the United States, claiming more lives than all forms of cancer combined. For more than 10 years, the American Heart Association has sponsored National Wear Red Day® to raise awareness in the fight against heart disease in women. I hope that everyone recognized this event in their own way.:love:

This group challenge is our proof that we are on our way to fighting this disease by increasing our fitness levels and improving our nutrition! WE ROCK!!!!!

FOR THIS WEEKEND'S POSTS: Let's post here Saturday and Sunday to share our results of the 5 Day Clean eating challenge, what our plans are for next week, and/or any interesting fitness and nutrition ideas we've come across.

cardio_zps7ba2b451.jpg

Replies

• ronitabur
    ronitabur Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Well, I was total failure on the Clean Eating Challenge. I've had a rough 2 weeks - high emotions, clinging to my little addictions or, maybe I should call them habits to which I cling to avoid what I'm feeling. I've had some sleeping issues associated with the stress so I thought I was starting menopause. I went to the doc who did a blood test which came back negative. So, on Sunday I faced my denial over the fact that I was stressing myself out, and I made a commitment to myself to not take work home with me this week.

So, taking away that thing that allowed me to keep my mind off of food gave me too much time to think about food. I expected it to be hard on me, and it was. But, I'm dealing with it as best I can and hoping for today that I can keep out of my work email AND stick to my food plan. Tomorrow I will try again... and so on. We will see what the scale says on Monday. Whatever it is, I will say that Pizza and Wendy's burgers & fries are not worth it!

So, today is a new day. I greeted my emotions this morning with a cup of coffee, an over easy egg on dry whole wheat sourdough bread with 1/2 oz of onion ranch flavored cheese.

Be well everyone!
    Roni
  • jeepie98
    jeepie98 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I did pretty well this week. Felt really good to stay away from garbage after succumbing to some on Super Bowl Sunday then feeling like it the next day...
    My next week's plan is to change up my workout schedule. I've been overdoing it on the running lately and getting burnt out.

Roni I'm glad your blood test came back fine! Hope your stress starts to let up!

Peace,
    Lora
  • 24Sept
    24Sept Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I had a miserable week this week. I do realize that I have food addictions and I did a lot of emotional eating this week. I didn't go to the gym and I felt out of balance. After my illness of two weeks ago I went back to working out. I was not quite strong enough so I suffered a set back. That and the weather is why did not work out this past week. Monday I am having a scope done to see if there are physical reasons that would be the source of my gastric distress.

I am praying to God to give me strength to overcome my issues . I know he will.

For those that struggled this week and did not meet their goals, I want you to know I understand and pray that you will over come.
    For those that met their expectations, I am happy for you and I applaud you. Keep up the good work because your success encourages me.

I must remember that this is a journey not a race and I must continue.
    Everyone be encouraged.
  • ChelseaSM
    ChelseaSM Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Sounds like we all had a pretty rough week! I did as well had a bout of something bad, and while I made it through the days at work, I spent the evenings in bed with soup and trying to get something done for homework.

Roni, as well as everyone else - what do you do for workouts when you get blood work? I have to go once weekly first thing in the am, and have 2-10 vials drawn each time. My arm bruises after, and they tell me not to workout for 24 hours. Is there anything you do on bloodwork days that doesn't impact the healing time/bruising? I have to go twice this week but don't want to skip out on the gym.

Food wise, I made a cilantro lime chicken faijita dish today that I will be having over quinoa for lunches all week. Should help keep me on track!
  • amccord2
    Options
    Well, everyone, I'm wrapping up my weekend with the Dr. Oz 3-Day Cleanse. I got the idea from my sister, who just bought a new Vitamix blender! Although I don't have one, I decided to give it a go. I'm glad that I decided to browse the net for blogs where others had already gone before. These reviews gave me an idea of what to expect (very yucky lunch drink), and some pretty good advice on prepping ahead. Days 1 and 2 have really been better than I expected. I didn't have any events going on this weekend, so I thought it was the best time to take the plunge. I have not been hungry or angry!:laugh: However, I am contemplating NOT continuing Day 3, just because I have work tomorrow, and that would mean prepping a couple of drinks for work. Also, I guess I don't want my co-workers asking a bunch of questions. (which by the way, one asked me this week if I had lost weight :drinker: ) I'll decide in the morning.
    Have any of you ever tried this or any other food cleanse? Here is a pic of Dr. Oz's

576134d3-fad9-4507-a48a-240ab256c43e_zps67c1c398.jpg
  • amccord2
    Options
    Sounds like we all had a pretty rough week! I did as well had a bout of something bad, and while I made it through the days at work, I spent the evenings in bed with soup and trying to get something done for homework.

Roni, as well as everyone else - what do you do for workouts when you get blood work? I have to go once weekly first thing in the am, and have 2-10 vials drawn each time. My arm bruises after, and they tell me not to workout for 24 hours. Is there anything you do on bloodwork days that doesn't impact the healing time/bruising? I have to go twice this week but don't want to skip out on the gym.

Food wise, I made a cilantro lime chicken faijita dish today that I will be having over quinoa for lunches all week. Should help keep me on track!

Chelsea, I can't chime in on the bloodwork, but that is an interesting question that I hope Roni may be able to offer some advice.
    On another note, that cilantro lime chicken faijita sounds yummy! :tongue: Care to share the recipe? :wink:
  • amccord2
    Options
    I had a miserable week this week. I do realize that I have food addictions and I did a lot of emotional eating this week. I didn't go to the gym and I felt out of balance. After my illness of two weeks ago I went back to working out. I was not quite strong enough so I suffered a set back. That and the weather is why did not work out this past week. Monday I am having a scope done to see if there are physical reasons that would be the source of my gastric distress.

I am praying to God to give me strength to overcome my issues . I know he will.

For those that struggled this week and did not meet their goals, I want you to know I understand and pray that you will over come.
    For those that met their expectations, I am happy for you and I applaud you. Keep up the good work because your success encourages me.

I must remember that this is a journey not a race and I must continue.
    Everyone be encouraged.

Wanda, I wish you a speedy recovery. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, " remember that this is a journey not a race and I must continue."
  • amccord2
    Options
    Well, I was total failure on the Clean Eating Challenge. I've had a rough 2 weeks - high emotions, clinging to my little addictions or, maybe I should call them habits to which I cling to avoid what I'm feeling. I've had some sleeping issues associated with the stress so I thought I was starting menopause. I went to the doc who did a blood test which came back negative. So, on Sunday I faced my denial over the fact that I was stressing myself out, and I made a commitment to myself to not take work home with me this week.

So, taking away that thing that allowed me to keep my mind off of food gave me too much time to think about food. I expected it to be hard on me, and it was. But, I'm dealing with it as best I can and hoping for today that I can keep out of my work email AND stick to my food plan. Tomorrow I will try again... and so on. We will see what the scale says on Monday. Whatever it is, I will say that Pizza and Wendy's burgers & fries are not worth it!

So, today is a new day. I greeted my emotions this morning with a cup of coffee, an over easy egg on dry whole wheat sourdough bread with 1/2 oz of onion ranch flavored cheese.

Be well everyone!
    Roni

Great way to start the day, Roni. Brenda Leigh Turner has suggested using Melatonin or tryptophan for night when you can't fall asleep. Have either of these been recommended by your doctor?
  • ChelseaSM
    Options
    Oddly enough, a magnesium/zinc supplement helps with sleep as well when taken 30 mins before bed!

Be well everyone!
    Roni

Great way to start the day, Roni. Brenda Leigh Turner has suggested using Melatonin or tryptophan for night when you can't fall asleep. Have either of these been recommended by your doctor?
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!!! This is a wonderful group, thank you for sharing your struggles and staying so determined. As I mentioned in another post this week for me went very well, even Saturday. I do need to say that I didn't log my foods as much as I wanted due to lack of time. I have been struggling with that issue lately. Today was another story...I have binged a little, not too crazy, but I know and feel I did. We will see what the scale says tomorrow...

Angela, good for you sister for getting a Vitamix!! Those things are expensive but I have heard they are great! I have never done Dr. Oz cleanse but have heard about it. I have also seen comments about how awful the lunch drink is but it doesn't look that bad. I am so used to drinking green smoothies or juices that it actually sounds yummy to me. What I have read is that they tell you how much to put in there and that one in particular is pretty thick. I have done a 3 day "juice" cleanse following one from a local juicing business here in town. I don't have a juicer so I blended the same ingredients. I started on a Sat but only did it half a day on Monday. I loved doing it, didn't really feel hungry or angry as you said LOL but was so busy outside the house on Monday that had to grab something to eat out. I didn't feel any different "cleansing" but my stomach was definitely flatter and I weighed less. Of course when I ate the weight came back but not all. I'd love to try it again. Another thing I have been doing is intermittent fasting 16-20hrs of no eating, that also helps cutting back on some calories and also recognizing what real hunger feels like. There are groups here on intermittent fasting and good books or internet sites to learn more about this method.

Plans for this week: I really need to log all my foods!! Drink lots of water, lately I have been "forgetting" to drink more. Exercise: Continue with my strength trng program, New rules of lifting Supercharged by Lou Schuler, teaching Zumba twice this week and Bikram on Friday.

What are your plans for Valentine's Day?? I have none. I am definitely staying away from all the sweets, might have a chocolate covered strawberry. I have theme parties with my Zumba students so I am having our Valentine's party on Wed. I am planning on bringing bananas and chocolate covered strawberries, maybe some packages of nuts. We still workout and have lots of fun.

Have a great evening!!! :flowerforyou:
  • ChelseaSM
    Options
    Trying Zumba next weekend with a friend for the first time! I had her try TRX and yoga, and she had me try step and now zumba. Nervous but excited to try something new. Any advice for a first timer who is incredibly uncoordinated?

My mother in law has a family photo shoot Feb 15th in the afternoon, and my husbands brother is in town visiting for the weekend (It's family day weekend in Canada), so we don't plan to do anything special on the 14th. On the 22 we will be making a tapas platter, getting a bottle of red and staying in to watch a movie : ).
    Hello everyone!!! This is a wonderful group, thank you for sharing your struggles and staying so determined. As I mentioned in another post this week for me went very well, even Saturday. I do need to say that I didn't log my foods as much as I wanted due to lack of time. I have been struggling with that issue lately. Today was another story...I have binged a little, not too crazy, but I know and feel I did. We will see what the scale says tomorrow...

Angela, good for you sister for getting a Vitamix!! Those things are expensive but I have heard they are great! I have never done Dr. Oz cleanse but have heard about it. I have also seen comments about how awful the lunch drink is but it doesn't look that bad. I am so used to drinking green smoothies or juices that it actually sounds yummy to me. What I have read is that they tell you how much to put in there and that one in particular is pretty thick. I have done a 3 day "juice" cleanse following one from a local juicing business here in town. I don't have a juicer so I blended the same ingredients. I started on a Sat but only did it half a day on Monday. I loved doing it, didn't really feel hungry or angry as you said LOL but was so busy outside the house on Monday that had to grab something to eat out. I didn't feel any different "cleansing" but my stomach was definitely flatter and I weighed less. Of course when I ate the weight came back but not all. I'd love to try it again. Another thing I have been doing is intermittent fasting 16-20hrs of no eating, that also helps cutting back on some calories and also recognizing what real hunger feels like. There are groups here on intermittent fasting and good books or internet sites to learn more about this method.

Plans for this week: I really need to log all my foods!! Drink lots of water, lately I have been "forgetting" to drink more. Exercise: Continue with my strength trng program, New rules of lifting Supercharged by Lou Schuler, teaching Zumba twice this week and Bikram on Friday.

What are your plans for Valentine's Day?? I have none. I am definitely staying away from all the sweets, might have a chocolate covered strawberry. I have theme parties with my Zumba students so I am having our Valentine's party on Wed. I am planning on bringing bananas and chocolate covered strawberries, maybe some packages of nuts. We still workout and have lots of fun.

Have a great evening!!! :flowerforyou:
  • ronitabur
    ronitabur Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Wow, some great posts over the weekend!

Chelsea, I don't get bloodwork done that often. But, last summer when I did, I lifted my purse a few hours afterwards and my vein popped open and blood went everywhere. So, I don't recommend doing curls within the first 24 hours. You'll need to ask your doctor or phleobtemist about it. Is it only for the reason I described? If that's the case, can you do treadmill or something that does not entail arm work? Or, is it a blood loss thing? I just don't know.

Angela, my trainer talks about doing cleanses, but says for no more than 3 days! I think it's a great idea. I'd have a hard time with it. But, if you're committed, I think it's great!

Alf163 - You mentioned chocolate covered strawberries for V-day. That's a good healthy alternative to straight-up candy, espcecially if it is dark chocolate. Last weekend, I had a couple strawberries dipped in my sugar free hazelnut coffee creamer - it was delicious! So, that's another option for a romantic evening with a special someone.

I am sorry to hear that others struggled too. But, I'm also glad I'm not alone. I still lost 1/2 pound this week, so it wasn't a total loss. I'm counting it as sucess!

Be well everyone!

Roni
  • ChelseaSM
    Options
    I adapted the recipe from one I found on all recipes ...

Heat a cast iron or oven safe pan over med. heat. Mist with olive oil. Wash,dry, and mist 3-4 chicken breasts with olive oil, then run with the seasoning of your choice (I use a chili lime seasoning mix). Sear each side on the pan for about 3-5 minutes, then put the pan into a 400 degree oven for 10-12 minutes until cooked thoroughly. Remove, let rest and slice thinly.

Mince 2-3 cloves garlic, 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro (or an entire bunch like I do!), and 1 minced jalapeno (or more if you like spicy). Saute in 1 tbsp olive oil for a few mins, then add 1/2 cup chicken stock, 3 tbsp tequila, and the juice of one lime. Cook until reduced to a paste and remove from heat.

In another pan, saute one red onion, and one each red, yellow green bell pepper, all cut into 1cm or so slices. Cook 4-5 mins, depending on how you like them.

Add 1.5 cups almond milk, milk, or cream if you don't care about calories into the cilantro lime paste. Add into the pepper/onion mixture and stir to coat. Add the chicken slices.

Can be served over pasta, quinoa, rice, or in tortillas.

Chelsea, I can't chime in on the bloodwork, but that is an interesting question that I hope Roni may be able to offer some advice.
    On another note, that cilantro lime chicken faijita sounds yummy! :tongue: Care to share the recipe? :wink: