Getting Pregnant with Suppressed TSH

Options
My endo and obgyn seem to have differing opions about what a woman's TSH needs to be in order for her to conceive. OBGYN says between 1 and 2, and doesn't pay attention to free T3/T4. Endo says my current TSH of .01 and normal free T3/T4 levels are fine, and to not pay attention to the obgyn. SO, if you've had a baby while being treated for hypothyroid did you 1) have suppressed TSH and if so, 2) did you have trouble trying to conceive?

Replies

• charleigh78
    charleigh78 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I would watch the t3's most. When I was pregnant with #4, they really worried most about my T3's. They even had me "hyper" with TSH at some points in order to keep my T3's where they needed to be. I accidentally got pregnant with #5 during the middle of a medication change and my T3's were really low because my meds hadn't been adjusted where they needed to be yet. My TSH was fine, but my t3 was low. The baby had growth issues from the very beginning and I miscarried just over 12 weeks along. I can't help but feel like the T3's being so low was a contributing factor :(
  • shvits
    shvits Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Endo's usually know a lot more then other doctors about thyroid. All doctors think they know about the thyroid, but in my experience they don't. Have them call each other and discuss the issue. If they will not speak to each other then go with the endo.
  • Morgaine_on_the_move
    Options
    I think mine was right around 1 when I got pregnant on the second cycle. It could have been a bit lower. In general my endo likes to keep me around 1. have always heard that a high tsh would be more of an issue, but I am not a doctor. My endo told me to take two extra pills per week as soon as I got the positive test and do labs 2 weeks later, and this worked for me. My dose went up to 125 ( from 88) while preg and it's just gotten reduced a bit. I now have a beautiful, healthy 5-month-old.
  • ashleyapplewhite
    ashleyapplewhite Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I appreciate your input!
  • chichi2130
    chichi2130 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Just echoing the others here... doctors who are less educated regarding the thyroid will look at TSH alone. A good endo will know that T3/T4 is what really matters.