Hey everybody!

Options
Well, I'm new here. I'm guilty of being an emotional eater. I emotionally binge eat and I'm not sure why. I would like to know what my triggers are.... maybe I eat because I'm bored. Today I decided I want pizza- so I ordered a medium pizza and cheese bread and just ate the whole thing. Then I looked at the boxes and cried because I literally just inhaled that whole thing. I try to put on a happy front because I'm the happy, bubbly one that my family relies on but I feel like I'm dying inside and food is the only thing that can temporarily help me. I feel like I should be at a happier place in life because I'm working on my second college degree and I have a great job that I love. Then I realize, I don't fit in the desks in the classrooms. I have to squeeze myself in and brace my leg so I stay in. I come home and eat. Ugh, I'm sorry to vent but I'm hoping somebody here can relate. I'm so frustrated!!! Thanks for "listening".

Replies

• Roaringgael
    Roaringgael Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I can relate to how you feel.
    I had an injury to my knee in Sept 2013 which was purely from being too heavy for too long. I decided I couldn't get away with over eating anymore.
    I've always struggled with my body size because I have always over eaten emotionally. Something went click in my brain and I made a decision to stop over eating for health reasons.So far so good.
    I think that I continued to over eat whilst it still worked for me in some way.
    I ate because I was tired, unhappy, bored (this was a big one I never would admit to) and because sexually I was uncomfortable with being thin and attractive - emotional issues from my childhood.
    I'm not pro-porting to have answers for any one but me but I have relied on OA (over eaters anonymous)- this is definitely not for everyone.
    I have read Jon Gabriel's book on emotional obesity and I listen to his meditations for weight loss which talk about feeling unsafe and how to release the need for fat to protect us.
    This web site is the greatest thing that has ever happened to me. I can't say enough about how wonderful it is as a resource.
    I wish you all the best.:flowerforyou:
  • TonyTrink
    TonyTrink Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Right there with you both, April and Gael. No answers here, but loads of experience. First thing off the bat, April, that just jumped out at me. "I'm guilty of being an emotional eater..." I know, or at least think I know, what you meant by that; however, one of the first things I had to start doing was take a look at the language I used to talk to and about myself with. You're not guilty of crap. Emotional eating is not a crime, it's not bad behavior, it's not something I can be guilty of. It's an unhealthy, dysfunctional coping mechanism. A coping mechanism that evolved by me doing the best I could with what I had at my disposal. Now, I have a few better coping mechanisms at my disposal than I used to have, and now it's my job to use those instead of old faithful, eating. I had to stop seeing myself as "bad," which is basically what I said to and about myself, every time I acknowledged being "caught" or "guilty" of over eating.

Gael mentioned OA, Overeaters Anonymous. I found them too and have found most of their stuff extremely helpful. She's right, it's not for everyone, but there's some really good direction to be found there and it was immensly helpful to me to find others like me, who understood the actual pain of being an emotional eater. I've also found this blog extremely helpful as well: http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/obesely-speaking

The PhD who writes it, Billi Gordon, is also an overeater and has some really awesome insights between the science of overeating and personal experiences with it. It's so powerful to read stuff and hear stuff from others who are struggling with the same issue. It's just nice to know you're not alone, not crazy, and definately NOT BAD!

I love that you you both identified bored as a big trigger for eating. I had to start with paying attention to what I was feeling when I was having cravings for a binge eating session, or sometimes after a session had ended. In the beginnig of this whole thing, I had a hard time identifying a binge until after it was over and I was left looking at the empty containers. As I got more atuned to paying attention to my feelings afterward, I started noticing feelings of cravings for a binge before it would happen. That allowed me to start looking at what I was feeling that would trigger a binge. Seeing a binge coming, meant I could make a decision, binge or not binge. I had to start making the decision not to binge, and instead start dealing with the feelings that were triggering the binge. I'm still doing that today, but I've got a good four months of active work in the direction under my belt now. I've had a few minor binges during that time, but I'm still moving forward and getting much much better, slowly, a day at a time.
  • dconn3114
    dconn3114 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I think that it's a pay-off somehow -- a bad habit. At the end of the day, I think I do it because I want to feel bad about who I am. I've failed so many times at losing the weight I think it's hopeless. But it's not. I am trying again. Do just one thing. If you drink an extra glass of water --- congratulate yourself. If you log in your food, pat yourself on the back. Treat yourself like you would your friend or child who would be trying this lifestyle change. It's so hard to be patient but if you do one small thing, consistently, you can be proud of yourself. Get the hope back. Everyone I know who has lost weight and gotten control failed many times before they finally had that "moment" where it clicked. So don't blame yourself or feel guilty or bad. Be kind to yourself. Tell yourself that you will do one good thing for you today. Write it down. Repeat. You are not alone. I know it's hard and I struggle everyday with eating too much but I'm going to try again because deep down I know I'm worth it. You are too! Fake it if you have to in the beginning but do something small, something good and build on that one thing. Track your food whatever you eat no matter how much or what it is because there is no judgement here. We are just trying to set up new habits to replace those old harmful ones. You are aware and that's the first step. You can do it but aim small -- consistent but small and then keep going. Here's to us and a new year!
  • dconn3114
    Options
    Glad to hear the website helped you! I'm new to it but hope to have the same results. :)
  • dconn3114
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your story. I still have work to do in identifying my triggers. I think it's usually due to stress but I think it's also just my habit in general for coping with life -- whether it's a good day or bad day. Have to really shift my perspective on putting food in a less emotional role in my life.
  • dconn3114
    Options
    Does anyone else think it's ironic that they have an online pizza ad below this message board?
  • aprilbaby1982
    Options
    Thanks for responding. I'm glad to hear this website has helped you. I heard about it because I have family members that use it but they have like 20-30 pounds to loose and I just don't want to come to terms with how much I have. is OA something that you attend? I wouldn't mind joining a support group for face-to-face interaction. Thanks for the recommendation about Jon Gabriel. It took me until now just to admit that I was an emotional eater. I like to try and ignore things. I can't anymore.

It's really uplifting that this site has worked great for you!! That positivity is really inspiring. Thank you for that!!! :heart:
    I can relate to how you feel.
    I had an injury to my knee in Sept 2013 which was purely from being too heavy for too long. I decided I couldn't get away with over eating anymore.
    I've always struggled with my body size because I have always over eaten emotionally. Something went click in my brain and I made a decision to stop over eating for health reasons.So far so good.
    I think that I continued to over eat whilst it still worked for me in some way.
    I ate because I was tired, unhappy, bored (this was a big one I never would admit to) and because sexually I was uncomfortable with being thin and attractive - emotional issues from my childhood.
    I'm not pro-porting to have answers for any one but me but I have relied on OA (over eaters anonymous)- this is definitely not for everyone.
    I have read Jon Gabriel's book on emotional obesity and I listen to his meditations for weight loss which talk about feeling unsafe and how to release the need for fat to protect us.
    This web site is the greatest thing that has ever happened to me. I can't say enough about how wonderful it is as a resource.
    I wish you all the best.:flowerforyou:
  • schonsdragon
    schonsdragon Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I am an emotional eater and will always have those triggers in me. I have been learning that eating does nothing but fuel the body, eating to feel better did nothing but make me fat and did nothing to make things better.

Eating does not tell or show anyone I love them and their food does not show me they love me that comes from deeper inside. I can enjoy the occasion without eating if I am not hungry and it is not an insult to them, if they try to guilt me about it then I know they really don't care and that is about them not me. Just as if I am hungry I can eat and enjoy it, if again if they try to guilt me about it that is on them not me.

Do I still fall for the guilt, unfortunately I do but not as often as I did. If I do fall for it I look at myself afterwards and ask myself why and answer it, truthfully even if the truth is harsh, so I can learn how to be a stronger person. This is a process not a one step in one day thing and I know I will always deal with it.