Let's start with introductions!!!

Options
124»

Replies

• morninglory5782
    morninglory5782 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm Megan. It's great to find this group. I've suffered from depression and anxiety for about 15 years - well, 15 since I was first diagnosed but I think I've had anxiety all my life. Currently I'm not depressed but my anxiety is really high.
    Over the years I've tried Many antidepressants and anti-anxiety medications. Some have had horrible side effects, but I have found several that work great!!! If your dr. doesn't listen to you or believe you or thinks this is just in your head - I encourage you to find a better doctor! You shouldn't suffer just because you had a bad experience with a doctor. There are good ones out there, they can just be hard to find sometimes. Ask around. See a psychiatrist! They will be much more helpful with this than a general practitioner.
    Also, if you're not taking meds because you've tried one or a few and had bad side effects - I encourage you to keep trying others. They can all be very different and what works for one person may not work at all for someone else. I've had the zombie effect, increased depression, increased anxiety, even suicidal thoughts just as side effects from some of these meds...but I Have Found at least 3-4 meds that make me feel Great! I mean, Normal, not a fake sense of happy or drunk or anything!
    I've also tried going off my meds when I felt I was 'doing good'. What i learned is that the symptoms come back with a vengance when you do this. I've accepted that I may have to take meds the rest of my life - and that is better than living with depression. I'm not someone who likes to take any medicines - but some are just necessary. So find a good doctor, and work with them to find the right meds & doses for You! And remember what works for everyone is different. There are also some new meds on the market now that I'm told have much less side effects than what most of us are used to.
    Currently I am working with my dr. to get my anxiety under control. Lately I've been having a lot of social anxiety. I've always had it some but I remember being much more comfortable and outgoing socially - now I totally freeze up and am afraid to talk, even around people I know well. Does anyone else have that kind of anxiety? I've also suffered with general anxiety plenty, but right now it's mostly social. I've also been going to therapy for about 3 years. I've tried hypno-therapy but wasn't sold on that. Talk therapy is great to get things off your chest, but especially to learn new ways of processing things and dealing with problems. You want a therapist that gives good advice and challenges you - not someone who will just be a cheerleader. I have changed therapists because of this - don't be afraid to do the same. And ask for recommendations. Also, has anyone ever tried EMDR? My therapist does it and I'm going to try it at some point. It's been very effective for people with PTSD, as well as any past trauma.
    I'd love to make new 'friends' on here, so feel free to friend me, and I'm here to chat if anyone likes!
  • deeschange
    deeschange Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Welcome and thanks for sharing your story.

I'm actually looking into EMDR as well. It was recommended to me and I'm to meet with someone soon.....

I'm told that while it may take time to get to the root issues of things that it really does work.

Feel free to friend me. Its always nice to "chat" to others who share in your "challenges".
  • z149189
    z149189 Posts: 57
    Options
    Hi, I'm Ellen, and I've been diagnosed with major depression, generalized anxiety and social phobia. My depression got bad in my teens and early 20s, but ever since I graduated from college my anxiety has been the bigger problem, even though I still fight depression. I go to counseling, but I'm also on several meds (five at last count). Sometimes I feel like I might be over-medicated, I'm tired all the time and can barely get up in the morning. I'm always open to thoughts and suggestions.
  • BadassCrossfitMama
    BadassCrossfitMama Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Tamela, I was diagnosed with an anxiety disorder when I was in middle school but it went away for a few years only to return when my son was 3 and now again since I turned 30. I was sent to the ER last year after a severe anxiety attack that we thought was something more serious. I so didnt know that anxiety caused you to be light headed, pass out, have chest pain, headaches etc. Now I do but I have no idea how to control this. My level is 8 out of 10. I am always tired and dont feel like doing anything which I can only assume is depression or something. I have no medical insurance since my husband is out of work and my job does not offer it. If anyone has advise on how to control anxiety attacks I am all ears, but please dont say " just dont stress" you can say it but with this disorder that is just something that you cannot do!
  • IMarieB
    IMarieB Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    There is nothing too hard for God. Keep living!
    In Health,
    Ivanna
  • vlland
    vlland Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hi - Im new to MFP. Im trying to relose the 20 lbs I put on this year. I am suffer from anxiety issues although I have not been officially diagnosed. I have been on Zoloft a couple times and have taken Xanax during especially difficult periods in my life. I would love to know of any medication that does not include weight gain or negative sexual side effects. I currently self medicate with alcohol as needed but I know that is not healthy. I think I have generalized anxiety and I did have panic attacks as a small child. My father had anxiety issues and my sister does as well. My father was an alcoholic. I have some ocd issues as well.
  • tabien84
    Options
    G'day All.
    I'm new to MFP. I have weight to lose and an Anxiety disorder (plus other things) preventing me from successfully losing weight on my own. My Anxiety prevents me from leaving the house and am looking for ideas and support to exercise at home. I don't have much money so gym equipment isn't an option. Anyway I just wanted to say Hi. Hope to make some kind supportive friends on here and be able to offer support back. Feel free to add me as a friend :)
  • valkyriegirl44
    valkyriegirl44 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi, i'm becca and i have been using mfp for at least two years with a steady weight loss, but i want to be more active and achieve more. About three months ago i went to my doctors as i felt i was suffering with depression that had been coming on all summer. Through various channels i have learnt that I suffer with anxiety and some depression. I have yet to be properly diagnosed as to the severity of my condition, but i'm a person who rejects themselves before anyone has the chance to or to get to know me. I am still waiting to see a therapist and am on the waiting list. I have only today been put on medication, as my doctor was reluctant to, but as i'm having no help besides a councillor at university and i don't seem to be making any progress, she has started me on some meds. It's a very difficult illness to deal with, especially in my third year of university and my family understands and tries to be supportive as much as they can, but they don't realise the full extent of what you go through. I have good and bad days, i have to take each day as it comes. I'm happy i found this group and that there are like minded people out there.
  • mooglysmom
    mooglysmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Hello all, my name is Amber and I have anxiety disorder (and probably a bit OCD). I'm a married mother of two, and most of the time, I'm OK. My anxiety usually manifests anytime I or my children are sick, or if I say something that I fear will be misconstrued (i.e. putting my foot in my mouth and offending someone without meaning to). I will obsess over this until I put myself into a panic attack. For instance, last night I was chatting with a friend about something and said something I now regret because a Mom was next to me that I didn't realize was a Mom of a kid in my son's class (and I'd said something about how no one helps in his class). Now I'm obsessing over it, and can't stop, and I had a panic attack over it last night.
    I also obsess about sickness. I'm constantly worrying about whether I or my children have diabetes, staph, c-diff, rotovirus, and more. I watched my father slowly die of a staph infection that was mismanaged last summer, and the nursing home he was in didn't catch the c-diff he had until after a bunch of people had been through, thus exposing us all. When I start to panic, I can't eat, I can't sleep, I clean obsessively. I have panic attacks when I have to take any of us to the doctor. I used to have panic attacks at work so bad, that I'd hurt someone's feeling or done something wrong, that I don't work anymore.
    I have mild PTSD from verbal abuse as a child, and if someone raises their voice to me, I panic. Sometimes it doesn't even have to be me. If my husband yells at my kids for something (and honestly, its usually legitimate), I start to panic.
    I think the obsessing thing is the worst, because it doesn't stop for days or weeks. One small thing turns in to this huge thing in my head, and the panic just follows. I hate it. I want it to stop. But I'm also scared of medication, because the last time I tried some I had a bad reaction to it.
    Mental illness does run in my family, and as I get older it seems to be getting worse. I feel like I'm running high to low so quickly. I can have a great day, one small thing happens and then I'm in panic mode and I can't stop. I get cold, and shaky, short of breath, I feel like I'm dying, my chest hurts right where my heart is. Sometimes my arm hurts with it, though not each time. I want to curl up in a fetal position and cry. I hate it. My husband doesn't really understand it, but he does try, and he tries so hard to get me to calm down.
  • Areneholmes
    Areneholmes Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hi folks. I'm Ashley and I suffer from panic disorder, ADD, and chronic migraines.
    I always worry that I've missed something, or have said something strange... I often miss things, but the latter not so much. Still, it causes me quite a bit of worry and anxiety. I tend to zone out or lose focus when I'm required to for long periods of time. When I refocus, I get anxious, but I'm usually able to calm myself and figure out what I might have missed. All of my panic comes from direct interaction with others, but I'm mostly under control, unless there is direct heated confrontation, which leads me to crying, hyperventilating, nausea (sometimes instant purge, rarely, but it's pretty terrible), lightheaded feeling, and one one or two occasions, fainting. I can't handle yelling, or constant attention from people who like to excessively "push your buttons," in all the ways that they do. I've worked with people in the past who were very passive-aggressive, and I find high doses of that to be extremely panic-triggering because of the feeling of being trapped with someone who doesn't seem to understand, care, and even despises you enough to keep pushing. I no longer stay or work in environments where this is prevalent- I remove my self, and move on to other places. I recently quit my kitchen job, having been so upset that I'd hidden in the dish room and cried it out several times. Kitchen work can be very high-volume and high-stress, and though I can handle the fast pace, I'm too susceptible to the people around me. I wish this wasn't true. I now work part-time for a business owner I know personally, a very laid-back and kind gentleman with coworkers that are friendly and sweet. I don't necessarily have to work- I have scholarships and my boyfriend makes more than enough money, but I enjoy working, and the feeling of accomplishment I get. I thrive on that, and being alone/in the house too much depresses me. I genuinely like people, and am very personable and outgoing in casual situations. Right now I'm a server/sampler and I work as-needed and when I want. I'm very lucky that my situation allows for this, as I know many people do not have a choice. I'm so grateful, and I wish for everyone to find something that works well for them.

Migraines are another big part of my life, and I have these regardless of the situations I'm in... they just come whenever they want without rhyme or reason. I treat them with ice and rest, darkness, and sometimes painkillers, but I don't like taking strong stuff- my family (both sides of it) has a history of drug addiction, and this is why I'd much rather remove myself from stressful situations than take medication and try to work through the anxiety. I've learned that people never change, and there's no sense consistently exposing yourself to a toxic situation. The best thing is a positive attitude, kill them with kindness, and go where you are more wanted. If only I'd known this earlier, I'd perhaps have fewer grey hairs now. Better late than never? :)
    Please add me if you want.
  • meganthrash11
    Options
    Hey everyone =) My name is Megan and i suffer from anxiety. My freshman year of high school I started having panic attacks. I was bullied frequently and worried on a day to day basis about what people were saying about me, how i looked, grades, and anything you can think of. I have a horrible habit of planning TOO much. I tend to sit and think in my head how something should happen, and when it doesnt happen that way...i tend to panic, especially if i never expect the outcome. After having various panic attacks at home, i soon was taken to the doctor to be put on anxiety medication. The medication, however, made me feel awful so i stopped taking it. For five years i basically handled my stress in my own way. I practiced breathing when stressed, took walks, ate my feelings away. Anything to calm me down.

Less than a month ago, I had my first panic attack in years. I am married now, and we was in the middle of an argument (as most couples do) when it happened. My doctor has now prescribed Zoloft to help me cope. While im learning to deal with the anxiety, im also having to learn to build my self esteem. And the first thing i need to do to accomplish this, is live in a body that i love. Im working on not eating with my feelings and loving myself as a person. Its an ongoing struggle but im working through it. :)
  • ehamommy
    ehamommy Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Wendy. I have been dealing with general anxiety disorder since my early 20s. It This really got intense about 10 years ago when I lost my mom, dad, and a baby within a short time. I went on to have three healthy little girls in that time period, but they were very stressful pregnancies! I have been on and off SSRIs throughout that time. They do trend to help with my symptoms but the side effects (weight gain, low energy) are tough for me to deal with. I have just gone off effexor and am struggling a bit but hope I can kick thefor good this time. I am looking forward to connecting with others who share this struggle and "get it."
  • evanaudreywyatt
    Options
    Hi I am Kati. I have anxiety and some depression and insomnia. I take meds for it all. It helps enough that I can function as a normal person.
  • wr1275
    wr1275 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Wendy. (a bit too freaked out to come up with anything to write at the moment)
  • Agrimny
    Agrimny Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

My name is Terri-Dawne, and I am a 33-year old woman from Canada. I have had anxiety since I was a child, but am mostly managing it these days. Hiding is a large factor, along with meds, but I plan to beat that. Right now I only work seasonally, but I am hoping to get myself to a place where I can go out and work all-year-round!

I have minor issues with OCD and tourettes, but I only find these excessively bad when my anxiety is at its worst. Annoying, but I've mostly gotten used to those, and I am fortunate in that they are more manageable.

My weight struggle largely has to do with my fear of exercise. Every time my heart starts pumping, I freak out. Yeah, I know - silly, since that is what it is SUPPOSED to do! I've talked about it with my doctor, and with my parents, and know I just need to push through it. Then there is my fear of drinking too much water, which leads me to not drink enough - another thing I am going to beat! I really think this app will help with both of those issues, and I cannot wait to be a part of this group and both help and be helped along.

Thanks for listening, and sharing your stories!
  • aLiEnGiRlUwU
    aLiEnGiRlUwU Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Hey y'all, I'm Chloe and I'm 29. Ive been diagnosed with a lot of bs so, bear with me here. Depression, general and social anxiety, OCD, BPD, PTSD, hypocondria, short term memory loss thus, probably missing some because I have a lot. And that's just mental illnesses soooooo, yeah, you can imagine... ish.

A lot of bullying when I was young, which led to my social anxiety and a lot of agressivity at one point cuz, I just couldn't take it anymore. Long story short, I had this girl sent to the hospital by ambulance. I got expelled from my school because of it so, I had to finish high school at adult ed.

Became more confident there and finally managed to finish high school after a really long time. But during these years, I were to meet this dude which is my ex now and, let's just say without giving details, it was really abusive, thus my PTSD, short term memory loss and tremors (multiple concussions).

Since then, my life as been hell. Scared to go out, scared to meet new people, scared to get a disease or get hurt because, I have had some repercussions even long after (it was 12 years ago). Lost vision in my right eye, and color blind from the other, tremors as I already stated and more.

Apart from my miserable past, I also suffer from chronic illnesses such as asthma, heart disease, stomach ulcers, immunodeficiency,...

On a more positive note, I'm an aspiring actress in the making (dunno how the f*** I'll mange that). I enjoy cooking, video games, arts and crafts, learning and love cute pastel stuff lol I also have a passion for animals. ☺️

I could go on and on about my f***** up life so, Imma stop here. 😅 Hoping to get better with a healthier lifestyle and be able to finally live tp the fullest. 😋