Travel Advice with Keto Eating?

Options
Im leaving on Wednesday for a 7 day trip and Im feeling a little worried. Im really good with my keto at home and do most of my own cooking. I haven't even tried take-out yet etc yet in my 2 weeks on. Have you travelled and been able to stick to plan? I have no desire to fail, it means the world to stay committed, as best I can.

Any travel tips for staying on track would be a huge help ...

thanks!
57250916.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Replies

• 366to266
    366to266 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    No. I have fallen off the wagon every time I've travelled, despite using some clever ideas. I think the temptation got me in the end. Just do your best and be super strict when you get home.

Lots of others will give you clever ideas, though!
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I often carry food with me, but that can be really unappealing versus the other choices around. Just make the best choices you can and be ready to get back on plan when you get home.
  • starrygirl82
    starrygirl82 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    NO BREAD. When I order a sandwich, I just tell them no bread. But if I have to go eat at a fast food place, they don't always "understand" that. So I order the sandwich (or biscuit) and IMMEDIATLEY take it off the bread and throw the bread away so there is no temptation to eat it. If possible, I also substitute any potatoes or pasta for a side salad, broccoli, or green beans.

It's a good idea to carry snack items with you. Beef jerky, pecans or almonds (in moderation), a container of no sugar added peanut butter, pork rinds, kale chips. Hope this helps, good luck!! :)
  • deoxy4
    deoxy4 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Bullet proof coffee, macadamia nuts and avocado are staples in my diet and workable when I travel.
  • Asphere79
    Options
    Burgers no bun, Chipotle or Moes burrito bowl, McDonalds double no bun small side salad with ranch, Greek place (gyro meat salad or Kabab), Chicken Wings (like Buffalos), plain old salad with chicken and ranch, rotisserie chicken from a grocery story, steakhouse
  • sassy247
    sassy247 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    great advice!
  • huneydrop
    Options
    Caesare salad with grilled chicken, no croutons is my go to at a resaurant.

On vacation I just go with it and don't sweat it. My vacations are usually just vegas trips for 3 nights (twice a year at most) and I just enjoy my trip and not worry about food, especially in vegas where there are so many amazing places to eat I couldn't imagine worrying about macros!

But if you travel regularly you will need to get a game plan because you can't be off the wagon THAT often and have the plan work.
  • ezme13
    ezme13 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Last weekend Hubby and I had our weekend away since we started eating low carb. We knew it wouldn't be easy but it was harder than we expected to find good options - we ate a lot of salads! Burgers without the buns or steak without chips were our only other choices.
    Breakfast was the only win - the guest house we stayed at did a choice of cooked breakfasts and served a selection of cheeses as part of the cold buffet.
  • ali59oc
    ali59oc Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    On vacation, I had no problem with the food part. It was alcohol that threw me off. If you're on vacation, enjoy yourself. You'll just get back on the keto-horse when you come home.
  • snarlingcoyote
    snarlingcoyote Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    We go to WDW pretty often and I've learned - you can order burgers a'la carte, you just have to be EXTREMELY clear to the order taker that you do NOT want the combination meal, and there are many fast service options available that can be low-carb. I'll order a plain bacon double cheeseburger and throw away the buns, and either wrap it up in lettuce or eat with a knife and fork. There are plenty of salad options all over the place that can be ordered low carb.

If you're traveling by road, Cracker Barrel is one of my favorite go-to's. I usually get a nice protein and greens with green beans or broccoli and a dinner salad; I'm full, it's yummy, cheap and I don't have to do any sort of weird ordering!

Also, on an 8 day trip, I usually plan 2 back-to-back carb days. Those are days I know I'll be somewhere with some sort of great desserts or dishes that are scrumptious and high-crab. I indulge on those two days (I have even been known to go out and buy my all time favorite bad-for-me snack - white chocolate covered pretzels - just for my indulgent noshing on those two days.) eat my carbs, (and suffer for it or take lots of pain killers), then it's back in the saddle. Just knowing I have planned out these wonderful, wondeful carby days will keep me from cheating the rest of my vacation. (I almost always plan these two days for the end of our vacation. Schoolbread in Nortway at Epcot and then Boma buffet that evening!)
  • blablues
    blablues Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    More suggestions for eating out - Five guys has a bunless burger option that is great, Jimmy Johns has a lettuce wrap option for their subs. Try to stick to chain restaurants when you sit down to eat, and pick them beforehand - a lot of those restaurants will list the nutrition information online, so you can plan ahead and pick low carb options before you even get there. I actually wrote an article about eating out on a diet and listed a bunch of restaurants at the bottom that have nutrition information available:
    http://weightlossamazon.com/2014/02/how-can-you-eat-out-on-a-diet/

I also really like Quest bars and will take them with me when I travel, along with some other nonperishables (like a batch of low carb chocolate chips cookies). A handy snack is always a huge help to keep from eating the bad things.
  • rrsuthy
    rrsuthy Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    It depends on where you are going. If you are staying in the states, it's easier. You can always order salads, bun-less burgers, unbreaded (naked) chicken wings, etc. You can also stop at many grocery stores and get lunch meat or rotisserie chicken. I find it difficult when traveling dependent on where I'm going. For example, I tend to be "frugal" and that side of me will sometimes win over the keto side of me. This was true when I was at Disneyworld. I could get a kids pizza meal for $6 vs paying $10 for a small salad. The pizza meal won.