Ho hum...

Options
cathy0536
cathy0536 Posts: 137 Member
So, I stayed the same again this week, am a bit :sad: and :explode: but seem to have fallen into a post christmas pattern of being pretty good during the week, working hard on the exercise and logging well - and then it all goes a bit to pot at the weekend (which in my head lasts from work finishing on a friday to going to bed on a sunday - and there's plenty of time to undo good work from the week...).

I did do really well before christmas and lots of people have noticed but I think that's part of the problem really - I hear that I've done well, I can see the green BMI and then I find it really hard to keep going without 'treating myself' for doing well - anyone else get like this? And the treats I like/enjoy are a glass of wine and some crisps, or going out for a meal with my family, or just even baking with my boys - just don't know how to move on from this to get back to losing at least a couple of pounds each month.

Getting a bit psychotherapyish, I think I probably value what I hear from external people more than what I tell myself and if the message I'm getting is 'you've done enough', I'm probably putting more emphasis on that than the bit of me saying 'you *really* want to get to goal this time'.

And I get the 'we're 44% through the challenge' is meant to be motivating (and it was when I was near/around targets for the pre-christmas challenge) but to be so far from it now just makes me feel like there's no point carrying on with the challenge? :cry:

Final issue I think is that I am lighter than I can remember being before as an adult so I guess I am questioning why I do feel the need to go further....

Ideas, comments and some support would be very much appreciated - and will then try to get back to my more normal tenacious and positive mindset....

Replies

• KMasz
    KMasz Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    I just posted a blog about this same idea yesterday. I've been feeling that now that I'm within the healthy weight for my height, as well as the lowest I've been for my adult life, that the rest of my weight loss isn't really neccessary at this point. We've crossed over into trying to lose "vanity" pounds. I think the mindset that goes along with this point of weightloss is that you have already proved to yourself you can lose weight by how far you've already come. You start to think to yourself, "I only want to lose xx pounds till I reach my goal, I can easily do that anytime I want so for now I can relax a bit." (at least that's what's been going on in my head lately)

I think it is great to keep your accomplishments in the forefront and celebrate all the hard work you've done. But just because you've succeeded so much, does not mean you can go into a free-for-all eating frenzy. (not saying you are doing that, but generally speaking) It will eventually catch up to you, because you know that weight is about calories (whether it's to lose, maintain, or bulk). Maybe if you really feel that you are happy with your weight, you can re-evaluate your goals. Maybe now it's not so much about weight, but body composition or your physical abilities.

I know for me it's not ALL about weight anymore, it's also about body composition, so I'm going to keep at this until I'm happy with what I see in my reflection. I also want to focus on my physical abilities; I want to be able to lift heavy things and run really far and hike in the woods for a really long time.

Try to sit down and really think about what's important to you at this point in time. It might be different than what it was when you first made your goals, or since the last time you evolved your goal. Goals are moving targets. Goals are similar to living things; they grow, morph, shift. Just because the challenge is 44% over, doesn't mean you should give up. Maybe you won't reach what you originally set out to be your goal, but you can still use the last 56% of this challenge to better yourself to the best of your abilities.

I don't know if any of that was helpful or made a whole lot of sense to you, but I hope it was. You can do this! (& you know you can!)

-Kate
  • 1crvygrl
    1crvygrl Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    cathy0536, I know how you feel ! I started this challenge at 194.2 and this week weighed in at 196.2. I was able to lose about 5 pounds a month through Nov and Dec '13 and then it just stopped. I sometimes feel like why keep trying and I don't like to keep posting gains or small losses, but unlike you I'm quite a ways from my UG135-145, so for me this challenge is just one more step toward my goal. I now know that I won't reach my challenge goal weight but will keep trying to see what I CAN lose and then on to the next challenge. I have those days that I want to give up but for me, I don't want to live the rest of my life like I am right now or worse yet keep gaining. I think being kinda cooped up this winter has made me kinda depressed and not try as hard as I could have, but yesterday was a renewed start for me and I'm looking forward to the coming weeks weigh-ins to see what I can do:happy:
  • Shaky44
    Shaky44 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I think it is great to keep your accomplishments in the forefront and celebrate all the hard work you've done. But just because you've succeeded so much, does not mean you can go into a free-for-all eating frenzy. (not saying you are doing that, but generally speaking) It will eventually catch up to you, because you know that weight is about calories (whether it's to lose, maintain, or bulk). Maybe if you really feel that you are happy with your weight, you can re-evaluate your goals. Maybe now it's not so much about weight, but body composition or your physical abilities.
    I think this is really good advice.

If you are at a healthy weight, it's absolutely OK to get off the hamster wheel for a while. I think so many of us having to lose weight all our lives - and now that we're succeeding we can't imagine stopping.

I would really consider going into a maintenance program, eating to maintain weight and then embarking on a strength traing program to help you build lean body mass. Building lean body mass will make you look better and also increases the amount of calories your body burns, making it easier to stay at that healthy weight.

I've been successful at losing weight, but I'm mentally preparing myself for going into maintenance mode and ramping up my strength training. It won't mean I can eat what I want, or even stop tracking, but it's going to be a welcome change.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Wow are you getting great advice here. Thanks for posting your thoughts Cathy, I'm sure we all can relate and that's the power of MFP--the social support system. I really agree with Kate and Shaky, a new look at goals is good advice. Maintenance is my big fear, I've lost weight before and always gained it all back and then some. Shifting focus to fitness goals and body composition makes sense to me, change the calorie equation (I know you are doing this!!). As we approach the green BMI zone I think we are on a curve of diminishing returns from our "dieting emotional energy expenditures". You remember Mommahix had trouble during the Christmas Challenge, she is fighting her way down that curve. She set an attainable goal on this challenge in response. Supermodels are at a "perfect" BMI but live on diet Coke and cigarettes and are miserable. To keep a knife at its maximum sharpness requires constant honing--how exhausting right?! You are trying to lose 15 pounds all within the green BMI zone, this is a tall order, if you achieve half of that I'd call it a stunning success.
  • BeckyLF05
    BeckyLF05 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I do the EXACT same thing! Weekends are KILLING my progress. I can come up with a pretty good excuse EVERY weekend as to why I can take the weekend "off" from counting. ...but at the end of the day, it's still just an excuse! :sick:

I'm going to get thru this upcoming weekend, no matter what it takes! Sounds like we almost need a WEEKEND WARRIOR'S group, too! lol Let's do this. We can and WILL get through ONE weekend and see what our results are on Monday.:drinker:
  • cathy0536
    cathy0536 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Aw, :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: thank you for the advice, this was definitely what I needed to read.

I think re-assessing goals is definitely a good idea - I think it's been a bit of shock how quickly I've gone from very consistent losses to very consistent maintenance and I have definitely learnt lots about how hard I will have to work *just* to maintain.

I have exercised consistently throughout and just changed to Les Mills Combat DVDs, and sticking with the workout programme for them will take me to the end of March so that is definitely an achievable goal. For the first time ever I took lots of measurements when I started too so losing some inches (even just a few!) would be good - Les Mills definitely has more of a strength focus than previous workouts I've done so that should help with the lean body... I've no desire to look like a supermodel, a lot look horribly *unhealthy* in my opinion, but there are some bits of me that could do with a bit less wobble before I hit the beaches of France this summer :laugh:

I really don't think I'll do 15lbs by the end of March so changing my weight loss goal to 142lbs instead of 135 - that will be a 50lbs loss overall for me which would be amazing.

And yes would love a weekend warriors accountability group - we have friends over for dinner on Sunday (again) but cooking a healthy menu and staying off the alcohol this week. And also Valentine's Day on Friday - have already told hubbie I'll cook and planning a healthy dinner then too. We do end up with a least one event every weekend - next week is my cousin's hen party!

TY for your helpful responses, did worry that my post would come across as a bit 'woe is me' and making excuses:embarassed: but have found your advice v useful. Have logged everything today and exercised so that is good...
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Bravo!
  • Shaky44
    Shaky44 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I do believe that most people who are in that "green" zone on BMI would benefit from a heavy lifting strength program, such as Stronglifts 5x5 or New Rules of Lifting for Women. I'm doing it right now, but not getting the full benefit because I am eating so far below my TDEE. I really believe that once I can go into a maintenance mode my results will be so much better on that program. Programs like Les Miles have great success for people looking to lose weight. Heavy lifting has great success for people looking to change their bodies by building lean body mass.
  • mspoopoo
    mspoopoo Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I like the title of the thread.

Glad everyone is hanging in there even when it is hard.

I suffer from major depression and generalized anxiety disorder so it is a struggle to do anything.

I think I am feeling sad about being in my 50s. It seems like I am slowly falling apart.

I was diagnosed with a hernia after noticing it doing crunches so no heavy weights for me. Weight training has always been my fav exercise activity.

I'll get posting my updates soon. I am just stepping on the aria scale each day to keep track.
  • terriejones
    terriejones Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Celebrate each good choice. Only concentrate on today or even, just this immediate choice. Give yourself a thumbs up and then move on. I like the suggestions of moving your focus to maintenance and body comp.