Balance between work days and off days?

Options
Hey fellow RNs and MFPers!
I work night shift- so just curious as to how you guys switch off with eating/sleeping/gymming it between work days and off days? After my 3rd 12 hour shift I'm exhausted and have to fight to only allow myself a nap (many times, I lose and it messes up my whole sleep-wake schedule.) Also do you guys gym it during the day when you have to work that first night back? What about when you come off your last shift of the week? I can barely keep my eyes open to haul my butt to the gym so I end up going only 3 days a week when I eventually want my goal to be 4 days.

As far as food is concerned I'm always confused as to how to count the day esp on MFP. (I usually count my 12 hour shift as the day)and I notice that my goals are definitely not met on the first and last days- since I am constantly eating when awake.

Any tips as to not overthink this? :-P

Replies

• alou87
    alou87 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just count from midnight to midnight on food, no matter what. That's what has made it the easiest for me on nights. I'm still trying to work up the energy to go to the gym post-work though!
  • RNsusieQ
    RNsusieQ Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    When I worked nights, I would exercise in the AM before my first shift most of the time. After my last shift, I would sleep until 2pm & exercise in the afternoon/evening if I could muster up the energy (I always felt hungover with headaches and stomaches after working). I always counted calories from when I woke up until when I went to bed but allowed myself more on the first night back & less when I woke up after my last shift.

Good luck!