Has anyone tried wearing their armband somewhere else?

Options
Does anyone have experience wearing the armband elsewhere full time? It is really uncomfortable on my arm, because I have errant breast tissue in that area. I move it to my leg when I am on my recumbent elliptical, and I was wondering how accurate would be to do that full time. I have plenty of data from the arm, so I think I will try it for a few days and see if the data remains consistent.

Replies

• Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I switch arms every twelve or so hours. I wear it on my left during the day and my right at night.
  • moniker_74
    moniker_74 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'd love to hear your results re: wearing armband on your leg!
  • MrsLannister
    MrsLannister Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I've been wearing it this way for about a week. I think it reads a little higher. It also tends to register more vigorous activity. I have adjusted my deficit to 1250 to compensate for the higher burn. We'll see if that works.

One problem with this is that it thinks I am sleeping when I'm not. I guess because when I sit with my legs elevated it thinks I am laying down.
  • lisab64mfp
    lisab64mfp Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I don't like the tan line it leaves so last year once the temps got to short sleeve weather, I wore it tucked in my bra band (right below my left armpit). It read maybe 10% lower than it did wearing it on my arm which was accurate enough for me. Even w/long sleeve weather I wear it in the same spot when going out (hate the bulge on my arm when wearing form fitting shirts). I rarely wear mine at night cuz I had an issue w/it wearing so many hours (skin under it would get irritated) so that wasn't a concern for me.
  • NCMeg
    NCMeg Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I wear mine on my left leg, below my knee. The days I do this, it seems I am pretty busy. So I don't know if I am getting exaggerated results, or if I am truly up moving around more those days.
  • adiposediet
    Options
    I typically move it to my thigh when I've been on my recumbent with good results. Today was the first day that it hardly picked anything up which I thought was strange since it's a new bike and I was busting my butt and sweating like a pig for 45 minutes and it only picked up 19 minutes of moderate activity for the day -- and 10 of that was from other stuff! Tomorrow I'll try it below the knee instead of above and see if that makes a difference. If I just tracked the exercise generically on here it says 502 calories -- not the 160 the band picked up :(
  • OGracie
    OGracie Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    This response comes a little late, but hey... I just got here!

Here's what I have come to figure out, though Body Media does not recommend it:
    • If I am doing exercises that involve legs (walking, cycling, etc.), I wear it just under my left knee with the monitor just inside my knee pit. Why my left knee? I think because it's the stronger of the 2 after all the surgeries and PT.
    • If I am at work (desk job / stand up training or presenting), I also wear it under my left knee. It catches more up and down movement / activity here rather than sedentary arm movement. My legs have to be on the go.
    • If I am doing exercises that involve my arms (weights, stretching, etc.), I wear it where they recommend your to on my right arm which is my dominant and stronger side.
    • If I am cooking or sitting on the couch watching the boob tube, I also wear it on my right arm. In these cases I am doing more with my arms than my legs.

I have found that it is best to wear it wherever you are doing the exercises. I emailed back and forth with someone at Body Media for a while. They state that Body Media was really just created to track upper body exercise and sedentary states.

I feel like, if you can make it work for your every day life, then do it! Test it on your body in other places and see what works for you! I couldn't get it to hit vigorous activity to save my life! Now, it's working much better for my lifestyle!