Discover what's new & improved in the MyFitnessPal app!
We’re dedicated to helping you achieve your health and nutrition goals. And our newest features and updates? They do just that. Learn how we're making tracking your progress easier, faster, and more motivating than ever.

Greetings! Share your story!!!

Options
Hello, all... and thanks Roveen for including me. Even though I am Active Duty Air Force and no longer living in Texas, I encourage all who are making the journey towards social/mental/physical fitness! For those who don't know me or haven't spoken with me since I moved away in '98, here is what brought me to this exact moment...

My name is Mike Ocampo, and my current statistics are as follows: I am 5'4", approximately 132 lbs, and am about 10% body fat. My USAF Fitness Assessment scores include a waist measurement which I measure at 28", a 1.5 mi run which I complete in 11:54, 1 minute to achieve 60 sit ups which I complete in 47 secs, and 1 minute to achieve 60 push ups which I complete in 37 secs.

I've been an active martial artist since 1985, but while I have always THOUGHT I was "in shape", that term never meant I was in peak physical condition. You can tell by my profile picture (Before shot taken around 2010, I think), that my peak was NOT EVEN CLOSE. At my worst, I weighed 178 lbs and even failed two of my USAF Assessments. Fighting in martial arts competitions was the MAIN driving force behind my lifestyle change. At Judo, Submission Grappling, and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu tournaments, my weight class meant I was fighting opponents who had as much as 11" height advantage!!! While I was moderately successful due to skill and speed, I was at a significant power and size disadvantage. Professional fighters at my height were competing between 115-135 lbs!!! My body fat % was in the obese category. MyFitnessPal (plus a few other calorie count trackers) and social support were INTRUMENTAL to my transition from fat mass to lean mass. People always said, "Where do you work out? Do you lift? Do you crush cardio?" The ABSOLUTE TRUTH was this: Since martial arts and the military dictated my every day exercise, I did NOT drastically change my activity. I CHANGED MY EATING HABITS. See, I already had an excellent exercise regimen. (If you do not have one.... you NEED one.) So what was the missing link? BETTER FOOD HABITS. I started managing my calories, protein, carbs, fiber, and sodium... in that order. Of course my daily needs were different from my needs during tournament preparation, but I was beginning to understand how it all worked together. Roveen will help you find your nutrional "winning formula", but as long as you make a dedicated effort to nutritional management... you are a step ahead. Exercise will be dictated by ability, but you will be able to do more as time goes on. I promise... as long as you maintain integrity in your personal regimen.

I could talk about this all day, and I have already written a wall of text.... but my Diary and Photos are open, and I am always willing to share the details of my life changes. Good luck, everyone! (This is a great thing you are coordinating, Roveen!)

Replies

• getyourRO_on
    Options
    AMAZING MIKE! Thanks for sharing ... stories such as yours inspire me tremendously and many others. I'm by no means an expert and have figured much of the things I know through experimentation. There are so many books and people giving advice and you're right, the only person that knows your body well is yourself. It truly starts with diet.

By the way, I got my metabolic assessment today and despite being "good enough," I'm no where I desire to be. Eating will be tweaked for sure.

Anyways, we're going to lean on you not only for support but for advice as well as you've been through the game and continue to work hard.

Thanks again bro!