In need of supportive MFP runners.

Options
Hello, everyone!

I've been walking/jogging, but mostly walking, 5 miles a day recently. I would like to incorporate more jogging/running, so here I am.
I'm hoping to gain a few friends who can keep me motivated, and maybe one day I'll be able to run a 5K!!

Thanks for reading!

Replies

• PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    You'll find a lot of support here. Are you doing the C25K program? If not, I highly recommend it. I never thought I'd be able to run 5K and this program turned me into a runner, safely and with no injuries.
    Have you had yourself fit for a pair of running shoes? They're your most important tool and a Running store will help you get the right shoes for your feet.

You've got a good base for starting to run. You can do this. Keep posting here with your progress and any questions or observations. We're always here and love talking about running.
  • havocgx011
    Options
    This is a great group for support and has pushed me to exceed what I thought I could I do. At one point I could never have conceived of running for more than 5 min and now I'm almost up to 20 min. Good luck and get a very good pair of shoes - they really pay off in the end. :)
  • XgrandifloraX
    XgrandifloraX Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    You'll find a lot of support here. Are you doing the C25K program? If not, I highly recommend it. I never thought I'd be able to run 5K and this program turned me into a runner, safely and with no injuries.
    Have you had yourself fit for a pair of running shoes? They're your most important tool and a Running store will help you get the right shoes for your feet.

You've got a good base for starting to run. You can do this. Keep posting here with your progress and any questions or observations. We're always here and love talking about running.

I started with C25K, but then I started just walking longer distances. I did get my shoes fitted! I had to, I would have killed my feet by now haha Anyways, I'm just wondering if I can incorporate C25K into the 5 mile walks I've been taking. I don't know...
  • XgrandifloraX
    XgrandifloraX Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    This is a great group for support and has pushed me to exceed what I thought I could I do. At one point I could never have conceived of running for more than 5 min and now I'm almost up to 20 min. Good luck and get a very good pair of shoes - they really pay off in the end. :)
    [/quote
    I did get my shoes fitted. They are great, and they really make a difference. Right now, I mostly walk. My last walk was 5 mi in about 1:30. My pace was somewhere around 18:30 I believe.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options

I started with C25K, but then I started just walking longer distances. I did get my shoes fitted! I had to, I would have killed my feet by now haha Anyways, I'm just wondering if I can incorporate C25K into the 5 mile walks I've been taking. I don't know...

Go for it!!!

One of the best decisions I've ever made!
  • FitFunTina
    FitFunTina Posts: 282 Member
    Options

I finished C25K in October, and it was well worth it. After my 5K I had a loonnngg break thanks to bronchitis and holidays, but I'm back in the game. :)

If you're doing a five mile walk, I would start it with the C25K and then walk afterwards. When the weather was nice that's what I would do sometimes (although I never did five miles).
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    The best way to incorporate more running is to follow C25K. It will build you to that safely & quickly. That doesn't mean you have to give up your walks though - do the 5 minute warm-up walk, the C25K run, then just extend your cool-down walk so you go a total of 5 miles.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

There is a lot of benefit in using some form of structured programme, and C25K is as good as any. Since you're already walking a good distance you're pretty well placed to start ramping up your pace.

As a metter of interest what made you stop using C25K and just move to walking?
  • sarahcyr3
    sarahcyr3 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I use the C25K to explore my new area. I run through the program first, exploring a new neighborhood near me, then I find a way to walk back. I'm just finishing week 2 and my pace is slow so I usually only run 3k on the program. Then I walk 3 - 5 kilometers back to my place. I call it runsploring. (running + exploring) I can't wait until the weather and my fitness level gets better so I can go farther.