Possible rotator cuff injury , need advice

Options
tempest501
tempest501 Posts: 329 Member
Soooo.... I was having trouble doing lat raises. My should felt like it was clicking at the top of the movement. I saw a doc but he didn't think it was anything. Trouble is now it's worse and hurts when I do flat bench and tricep dips too. I have stopped doing these excercise for now and have booked another appointment and I am going to ask for an X-ray.

I am just doing incline press now as this does not bother my shoulder. Is there any advice for what I can replace lat raises and fri dips?

All advice is much appreciated ty

P.s I can still do dips as it does not bother as much.

Replies

• n3ver3nder
    n3ver3nder Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Go and see a competent sports physio. They will not only be able to advise on you on safe movement patterns, but may offer a fix to your problem that avoids a long lay off and/or surgery.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Go and see a competent sports physio. They will not only be able to advise on you on safe movement patterns, but may offer a fix to your problem that avoids a long lay off and/or surgery.

^^ that
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    You need to talk to an expert and avoid what hurts until you do.
  • tempest501
    tempest501 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys I will see my doc and ask for and X-ray and then try find a sports physio. I will stop doing lat raise and flat bench and try find alternative to dips.
  • jogirlruns
    jogirlruns Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Definitely see a physio - It sounds like shoulder impingement / impingement syndrome. Basically, the tendon gets pinched in the shoulder joint with overhead or lateral movements... eventually it becomes inflamed and swells which leads to pain. If this is what you have, it may not get better on its own - you'll need treatment and targeted exercise to stablilise the shoulder..
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Don't let the lack of something on the x-rays indicate there is nothing.
    The Dr should not be that definite with just x-rays.

Don't want to scare you, but I had x-rays, MRI, arthroscopy view, and it wasn't until the Dr went in via surgery that a tear was found, besides some other rough tendon areas that never showed up either.

Hoping it's a just a matter of impingement, and properly rotated dumbbells will allow you to continue on while healing.
    If not, at least a rest for repair to happen.

But good physio therapist beyond the Dr, sometimes they can discern that this is more than just inflamed and something more serious.

I hated the wasted year of taking it easy to various levels, just to end up at the same spot. Sometimes doing everything under the sun besides surgery is not the answer either.