Awkward Moments in Weight Loss?

Options
garber6th
garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
This past weekend I had some weird things happen to me - First, I saw one of my neighbors who I hadn't seen since New Year's Day. She was being really sweet and complimentary about my weight loss, but then she was asking questions like, how much do you weight now, what size are you, how much more do you want to lose, etc, then she said, "Turn around so I can see your *kitten*". Huh?

Then - I was doing laundry at my other neighbor's house. I was bent over getting my clothes out of the washer, and when I stood up, she said, I hardly knew that was you, bend over again. ?!?!

I was talking to my younger sister about this and she said, If you are or ever were fat, your body is considered by many to be open to inspection and critique. I think she is right, and I think this might even apply more to people who have had surgery. I do get a lot of comments, whether I ask for them or not. In a way it makes me feel a little more self conscious than I did before I lost weight. Do any of you feel this way?

Replies

• GastricJoy
    Options
    I totally understand how you feel.

People often ask why are you losing so much weight. Like Really is that even a logical question.
    How about I liked you better when you were fat. I dont like the skinny you.
  • risskie
    risskie Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Hey Group posters for this topic.
    Got a notice from MyFitnessPal that something happened with the some of the responses - somehow they didn't post properly and were deleted.
    If you see your post/comment/share disappeared, I apologize for this unfortunate happening.
    I would hope you would re-enter your post - I posted as well and it's gone too.

They are looking into what happened.
    Sorry for the glitch!
  • stroynaya
    stroynaya Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Hey Group posters for this topic.
    Got a notice from MyFitnessPal that something happened with the some of the responses - somehow they didn't post properly and were deleted.
    If you see your post/comment/share disappeared, I apologize for this unfortunate happening.
    I would hope you would re-enter your post - I posted as well and it's gone too.

They are looking into what happened.
    Sorry for the glitch!

My reply was apparently one of the deleted ones. So here is attempt two.

Overall, I do get lots of comments on my appearance, but they are mostly of the "you look fabulous" variety. And since I've been indulging in a little shopping and have a fabulous new wardrobe, I have no problem with those. No requests to look at my butt or anyone telling me they liked me better fat. lol. But I have had awkward moments when people didn't recognize me. I'd get the "who are you and why are you accosting me look" when I said hello. Then the second awkward moment when they realized they knew me and next look was the panic look while they decided whether they should comment on the weight loss or not.
  • VaingloriousVictoria
    Options
    I've had some strange responses. Most of the responses from people I don't like/don't like me are the funniest. Last year after I had lost 80-100 pounds, one of my coworkers looked at me and said something to the effect of "If you lose any more weight, you'll be a floating head..." She was trying to be nice, but bahhhhh...it was a strange comment.

What I deal with more are the people who don't like me because I'm skinny...Weird... However, I haven't lost any friends because of my loss. :)
  • JenaOnTrack74
    JenaOnTrack74 Posts: 443 Member
    Options

But I have had awkward moments when people didn't recognize me. I'd get the "who are you and why are you accosting me look" when I said hello. Then the second awkward moment when they realized they knew me and next look was the panic look while they decided whether they should comment on the weight loss or not.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • amylb0822
    amylb0822 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I ran in to a friend I hadn't seen in two months or so as I was leaving a crowded movie theater. . I had lost about 30 pounds in the 2 months and when she saw me, first she was very vocal about the weight loss( in a positive way). The theater lobby was crowded and heads turned to see what she was crowing about....and then she began patting me and rubbing me all over announcing where all the weight had disappeared from... Yikes!

I know she meant well, but holy schmokes !
  • Bubirn
    Bubirn Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I work in healthcare so it's funny some of the responses. You have people who aren't sure if it's you or not and then what is really different, if I don't want to share with them I simple say oh I colored my hair and move on, lol. Or with HIPPA rules some are afraid to comment or ask? And then you get 1 or 2 that tell you that it's so good that you lost some weight because you were really getting big ( geez thanks for the back handed compliment). I tend to still wear sweater cardigans or a lab coat at work so I am cover up a lot and it's harder for people to notice.

Most people are happy for me and supportive. But I most days don't see it as much as they do, maybe because I'm in this body every day? I guess I think it should be faster or more evident I don't know but I just keep plugging along.
  • Tristaan
    Tristaan Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I only told my immediate family members and a few select friends. Met one of the friends at the local pub about 3 months out and she asked sits across from me, looks at me and says "So...is the surgery working?". (I had already lost close to 50 lbs) I'm sure she was trying not to be intrusive, but geez what an awkward way to put it. lol
  • amylb0822
    amylb0822 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    PEople keep asking me if I am "shrinking" .... I am being very honest with them and telling them yes.... and that I had surgery.

There is enough shame and stigma forced on overweight people.... I am not going to put as much positive information out there about my surgical experience as possible, so that others will not feel shame in seeking help to become healthy
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    PEople keep asking me if I am "shrinking" .... I am being very honest with them and telling them yes.... and that I had surgery.

There is enough shame and stigma forced on overweight people.... I am not going to put as much positive information out there about my surgical experience as possible, so that others will not feel shame in seeking help to become healthy

I am totally with you about telling people. I am open about my surgery and I don't mind answering questions. Most people are extremely uninformed. Once people realize that they know someone who has had surgery and that it's a good thing for them, they tend to drop the judgment.
  • heretowin
    heretowin Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I only told my immediate family members and a few select friends. Met one of the friends at the local pub about 3 months out and she asked sits across from me, looks at me and says "So...is the surgery working?". (I had already lost close to 50 lbs) I'm sure she was trying not to be intrusive, but geez what an awkward way to put it. lol

I hate that. Or "I thought you'd be skinny by now" Really? I lost 50 pounds since the beginning of the year. Really?
  • Agate69
    Agate69 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    What i find awkward is meeting up with people who have regained it all and have given up.

Usually happens in a social situation, as they are scarfing down huge quantities of high calorie food and beverage, an i am eating as i should. After 4 years, every bite of food at a party is a constant decision to eat or avoid, andnot become the topic of conversation
  • Tristaan
    Options
    IKR? Personally I think it's rude to make comments about anyone's weight or health (heavy or thin) unless you really are close to them and they've invited the conversation. You just never know someone else's struggle by what's visible on the outside.
  • Agate69
    Options
    What is IKR?
  • Tristaan
    Options
    I know, right?
  • Agate69
    Options
    thank you.. TOTKTS too old to know text shorties:blushing:
  • JenaOnTrack74
    JenaOnTrack74 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    thank you.. TOTKTS too old to know text shorties:blushing:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • csmccord
    csmccord Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    What i find awkward is meeting up with people who have regained it all and have given up.

Usually happens in a social situation, as they are scarfing down huge quantities of high calorie food and beverage, an i am eating as i should. After 4 years, every bite of food at a party is a constant decision to eat or avoid, andnot become the topic of conversation

This! I find this very ackward! There is a woman at work who had surgery about 8 months before I did. She's already started picking the weight back up. And I don't wonder why. I see her eating chips, and cookies for snacks. I see her eating take out Chinese for lunch. Now I like all these things and still eat them some. But not 5 days a week! I really just want to smack the food off the table and ask her what she thinks she's doing!