Ideas for influencing a stubborn, anti-veggie, bread-aholic?

Options
Dragonwolf
Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
So, my father in law just got told by his doctor to lose some weight, or face another back surgery (likely to have a metal rod that goes even farther up his spine), and probably more as the pressure point changes, due to the extra weight he's carrying. He's also insulin dependent Type 2 Diabetic, and struggling with blood pressure and cholesterol (ie - a hell of a success story waiting to be told...if he'd get started). This, of course, is very bad. However, he seems to be convinced that he can't lose the weight, and that doing so would require him to eat "rabbit food," and he's a stubborn old bat, to boot ("you can have my bread when you pry it from my cold, dead hand").

I'd ideally like to convince him to try Paleo (I was kicking around the idea of a modified Whole 30 -- with small adjustments like allowing regular butter and white potatoes, to keep him from getting overwhelmed), but I doubt that would happen, at least not outright. Alternatively, I'd like to try to nudge him in that direction and show him that it doesn't have to be hard, and that he can basically have all the meat he wants, and still see improvements.

Has anyone else been able to influence a stubborn bread-aholic to change their ways? (Especially any that don't live with you?) If so, what worked for you? I know there is a bunch of stuff that would/could work very well for him (ie - Keto), but the biggest hurdle is the bread stuff, and getting him to just try something new.

Replies

• Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    My opinion is to lead by example, if and when they express interest then be really encouraging. Anything else will likely not be received well and will complicate your relationship with him as well as his health. If you do figure something out let me know, as I would like to change the way my Dad eats (and get the old goat to quit smoking!)
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    There's not much you can do about someone else's choices. But. You could visit and make him some delicious meals here and there. Don't tell him what's in it or that it's Paleo, just serve and say nothing. One day he might say "wow, this tastes great; what is it?!" But the second part of that is: refuse to feed him anything not healthy and if he wants something you didn't serve he can get it himself. Or if he's at your house it's "Paleo only", no other options.

I have a male friend who visits for supper occasionally. I make the food the way I eat it but occasionally add rice or potatoes (treat for my kidlet too). He loves it every time and usually finishes anything that's left over (which is kind of a bad thing but flattering nonetheless). As a result he is very interested in what I am doing. Not that he's committed to doing it since he currently has a ridiculous work schedule, but he knew me before I went Paleo and he knows exactly what the result has been and he's been blown away by the deliciousness of my food. So, he's already been talking about quitting bread- but hasn't quite grasped that wheat is in/on other stuff too. lol
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    My father is a type 2 diabetic. He was moderate, on medication but no insulin yet. He started having serious episodes which put him into diabetic shock 3 or 4 times in one week. He thought he was going to die - seriously.
    Dr's had no advice but tried changing up his meds here and there and pushing him out the door.
    I convinced him to try eggs/bacon and coffee for breakfast for one week.
    (pushing aside the orange juice, two slices of bread, big bowl of Wheaties and two cups of non-fat milk)
    And skipping the sandwich for lunch and having chicken breasts.

After a week he felt much better and his blood sugar regulated much better (duh).
    My sister-in-law called him and told him he had to eat "good carbs" like wheat bread. and he suffered another episode or two.
    While I wouldn't call him paleo, he knows to avoid processed foods and loves his breakfast.
  • EchoDelta1013
    EchoDelta1013 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    He's also insulin dependent Type 2 Diabetic, and struggling with blood pressure and cholesterol (ie - a hell of a success story waiting to be told...if he'd get started). This, of course, is very bad. However, he seems to be convinced that he can't lose the weight, and that doing so would require him to eat "rabbit food," and he's a stubborn old bat, to boot ("you can have my bread when you pry it from my cold, dead hand").

I'll speak from experience here and you can pass this on to your father in law. I'm a Type 1 diabetic (insulin dependent). For years I struggled to control my diabetes along with my weight. At my worst, I was using about 160 units of fast acting insulin and 70 units of long lasting per day and my blood sugars were still high.

I became fed up especially since insulin doubled in price back in 2012. So I switched to Paleo in August 2012. Within the first week, my daily insulin doses cut in half. I didn't track food but I estimate I ate about 3000 calories per day. A couple months later, people began saying I'd lost weight. But my goal was to use less insulin so I didn't weigh myself. Then I checked in December 2012. I'd lost 20 pounds just by eating Paleo and using less insulin. In January 2013, I lost another 5 pounds by the same routine. So in 5 months, I lost 25 pounds by switching to Paleo and using less insulin. Note: I lost more weight after I began exercising which was last February.

From what I've read, injecting insulin causes weight gain. Then couple that with eating a high amount of carbs, diabetics will struggle with weight as well as have high blood sugars. So when I began using less insulin, switched to Paleo and limited carbs, the weight came off without exercise or monitoring my calorie intake. Currently, my A1C is at 6% and I now use 35 units of long lasting and 15 to 25 units of fast acting insulin per day.

If your father in law did switch to Paleo even by a moderate approach or if he just limited carbs, since he's a Type 2 diabetic, there's a strong possibility he wouldn't need insulin anymore. I'm sure you know Paleo is not rabbit food. I'm not sure if he lives close by, but you could bring him some meals to let him try the food.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    He's also insulin dependent Type 2 Diabetic, and struggling with blood pressure and cholesterol (ie - a hell of a success story waiting to be told...if he'd get started). This, of course, is very bad. However, he seems to be convinced that he can't lose the weight, and that doing so would require him to eat "rabbit food," and he's a stubborn old bat, to boot ("you can have my bread when you pry it from my cold, dead hand").

I'll speak from experience here and you can pass this on to your father in law. I'm a Type 1 diabetic (insulin dependent). For years I struggled to control my diabetes along with my weight. At my worst, I was using about 160 units of fast acting insulin and 70 units of long lasting per day and my blood sugars were still high.

I became fed up especially since insulin doubled in price back in 2012. So I switched to Paleo in August 2012. Within the first week, my daily insulin doses cut in half. I didn't track food but I estimate I ate about 3000 calories per day. A couple months later, people began saying I'd lost weight. But my goal was to use less insulin so I didn't weigh myself. Then I checked in December 2012. I'd lost 20 pounds just by eating Paleo and using less insulin. In January 2013, I lost another 5 pounds by the same routine. So in 5 months, I lost 25 pounds by switching to Paleo and using less insulin. Note: I lost more weight after I began exercising which was last February.

From what I've read, injecting insulin causes weight gain. Then couple that with eating a high amount of carbs, diabetics will struggle with weight as well as have high blood sugars. So when I began using less insulin, switched to Paleo and limited carbs, the weight came off without exercise or monitoring my calorie intake. Currently, my A1C is at 6% and I now use 35 units of long lasting and 15 to 25 units of fast acting insulin per day.

If your father in law did switch to Paleo even by a moderate approach or if he just limited carbs, since he's a Type 2 diabetic, there's a strong possibility he wouldn't need insulin anymore. I'm sure you know Paleo is not rabbit food. I'm not sure if he lives close by, but you could bring him some meals to let him try the food.

Wow. Thanks for sharing your experience. It's very profound. I was wondering if Type 1 diabetics could control their blood sugar with diet and reduce reliance on insulin. I was thinking it would be possible but am well aware that Type 1 and Type 2 are different. I would never tell someone with Type 1 that they could entirely resolve diabetes with diet; however, it is my opinion that Type 2 can be prevented by diet, or if already present, controlled very well by diet. I've known many Type 2 diabetics and I am blown away that some of them continue a lifestyle that can lead to amputation, blindness, and a generally crappy quality of life and premature death. However, much of the blame rests with the health professionals that are still giving very bad dietary advice to diabetics. Following that recommended diet I am forever craving and bingeing, but my "lack of willpower" would be blamed, not the bad advice. (I was prediabetic before going keto Paleo/primal in August 2012.)
  • EchoDelta1013
    Options
    Wow. Thanks for sharing your experience. It's very profound. I was wondering if Type 1 diabetics could control their blood sugar with diet and reduce reliance on insulin. I was thinking it would be possible but am well aware that Type 1 and Type 2 are different. I would never tell someone with Type 1 that they could entirely resolve diabetes with diet; however, it is my opinion that Type 2 can be prevented by diet, or if already present, controlled very well by diet. I've known many Type 2 diabetics and I am blown away that some of them continue a lifestyle that can lead to amputation, blindness, and a generally crappy quality of life and premature death. However, much of the blame rests with the health professionals that are still giving very bad dietary advice to diabetics. Following that recommended diet I am forever craving and bingeing, but my "lack of willpower" would be blamed, not the bad advice. (I was prediabetic before going keto Paleo/primal in August 2012.)

Interesting we both went Paleo the same month and year :)

Two of my co-workers are type 2 diabetics and they saw the results with me. They're still the same and overweight. Plus both are close to retirement and I've told each numerous times, "Do you want to enjoy your retirement with or without health complications?" It's not their doctor's fault, both know better but say they love food especially carbs. I still love food too and have no problem eating Paleo for the rest of my life. MFP taught me to eat in moderation.

When I received the results of the last A1C test the (6%). I dreamed of such a day that I could go without insulin. At one point, it did occur (partially): last summer while in the hospital recovering from surgery. The nurses said my blood sugar was too low and did not give me fast-acting insulin the entire time I was there (17 days).

There are Type 1 diabetics who do not use insulin. It's a strict food plan which dictates to not eat fruit and only veggies that are low on the glycemic index scale such that only 30g of carbs of consumed each day: 6g morning, 12g each lunch and dinner in order to be in ketosis as well as exercise vigorously. People who are successful have normal blood sugars in the 80 to 100 range. I've tried consuming less than 50g of carbs per day and burn 500+ calories per day 6 days a week. Unfortunately I still need insulin in order to keep my blood sugars below 120. At this point, I think I'm dependent on insulin. But I'm happy at the amount I take now compared to 18 months ago.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options

Interesting we both went Paleo the same month and year :)

Two of my co-workers are type 2 diabetics and they saw the results with me. They're still the same and overweight. Plus both are close to retirement and I've told each numerous times, "Do you want to enjoy your retirement with or without health complications?" It's not their doctor's fault, both know better but say they love food especially carbs. I still love food too and have no problem eating Paleo for the rest of my life. MFP taught me to eat in moderation.

When I received the results of the last A1C test the (6%). I dreamed of such a day that I could go without insulin. At one point, it did occur (partially): last summer while in the hospital recovering from surgery. The nurses said my blood sugar was too low and did not give me fast-acting insulin the entire time I was there (17 days).

There are Type 1 diabetics who do not use insulin. It's a strict food plan which dictates to not eat fruit and only veggies that are low on the glycemic index scale such that only 30g of carbs of consumed each day: 6g morning, 12g each lunch and dinner in order to be in ketosis as well as exercise vigorously. People who are successful have normal blood sugars in the 80 to 100 range. I've tried consuming less than 50g of carbs per day and burn 500+ calories per day 6 days a week. Unfortunately I still need insulin in order to keep my blood sugars below 120. At this point, I think I'm dependent on insulin. But I'm happy at the amount I take now compared to 18 months ago.

That is an interesting coincidence!

I notice that i am still having difficulty with carbs and craving fruit. I had my carbs at 5% for the first year and thought I could go up to 10%. After completing a second Whole30 shortly before Christmas, I went off the deep end with sugar at Christmas and have been struggling ever since. Some days I'm around 30 grams, but often well over. I'm in the low to mid level of ketosis. Perhaps my metabolism is permanently damaged and I need to eat as you outlined above, permanently. Hmmm….
  • EchoDelta1013
    Options

I notice that i am still having difficulty with carbs and craving fruit. I had my carbs at 5% for the first year and thought I could go up to 10%. After completing a second Whole30 shortly before Christmas, I went off the deep end with sugar at Christmas and have been struggling ever since. Some days I'm around 30 grams, but often well over. I'm in the low to mid level of ketosis. Perhaps my metabolism is permanently damaged and I need to eat as you outlined above, permanently. Hmmm….

Wow, carbs at 5%. That's great :) Currently I'm 15% to 20% carbs primarily from veggies. The focus on veggies is to ensure I get enough nutrients such as potassium. I did a 3-week Whole 30 after Thanksgiving with a goal to reduce the consumption of fruit. The only fruit I have right now is from homemade apple pie Larabars which use medjool dates and dehydrated apples. I've contemplated intermittent fasting this year but unsure how to do with being a type 1 diabetic. The goal would be to reduce the remaining fat on me: stomach due to multiple insulin injections aka "insulin bubble belly."
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options

Wow, carbs at 5%. That's great :) Currently I'm 15% to 20% carbs primarily from veggies. The focus on veggies is to ensure I get enough nutrients such as potassium. I did a 3-week Whole 30 after Thanksgiving with a goal to reduce the consumption of fruit. The only fruit I have right now is from homemade apple pie Larabars which use medjool dates and dehydrated apples. I've contemplated intermittent fasting this year but unsure how to do with being a type 1 diabetic. The goal would be to reduce the remaining fat on me: stomach due to multiple insulin injections aka "insulin bubble belly."

I'm at 10% currently but it doesn't seem to be working well, which makes me think I have to go back to 5%. Strangely some days I am around 5% and I'm still struggling... guess I need to get strict for awhile.

Have you given any thought to making homemade Paleo-esque bars? I make some for my child and they average 10-14 grams of carbs per serving (about same size as commercial ones) depending on ingredients, but they always have dark chocolate chips. I think the sugar ends up being around 5 or 6 grams. Larabars may be "natural" but they are very high in sugar and also "Larabar" is owned by General Mills. I HATE General Mills (aka Phillip Morris tobacco). I do my best to not give them my money. One Larabar would give me about two days worth sugar. Bad enough that I give in to whole fruit lately, fresh and dried; I know I have to stop.
  • EchoDelta1013
    Options
    Have you given any thought to making homemade Paleo-esque bars? I make some for my child and they average 10-14 grams of carbs per serving (about same size as commercial ones) depending on ingredients, but they always have dark chocolate chips. I think the sugar ends up being around 5 or 6 grams. Larabars may be "natural" but they are very high in sugar and also "Larabar" is owned by General Mills. I HATE General Mills (aka Phillip Morris tobacco). I do my best to not give them my money. One Larabar would give me about two days worth sugar. Bad enough that I give in to whole fruit lately, fresh and dried; I know I have to stop.

I now make the apple pie Larabars since it's cheaper and the calories including macros overall, are less per serving. I even dehydrate the apples (love my food dehydrator). What are other homemade Paleo-type bars?

@Dragonwolf, I do apologize that we've strayed off-topic.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

I now make the apple pie Larabars since it's cheaper and the calories including macros overall, are less per serving. I even dehydrate the apples (love my food dehydrator). What are other homemade Paleo-type bars?

@Dragonwolf, I do apologize that we've strayed off-topic.

Haha, no problem. I'll take a tangent over an argument any day. :drinker: