Stronglifts

Options
Hi everyone,

I've been experiencing a bit of a personal rebirth at the ripe age of 38, and I've been realizing how much looking good and feeling good and healthy has to do with my overall satisfaction with my life. I'm a way better person when I'm feeling good about me.

Just started StrongLifts 5x5 on Monday after feeling a lot of dissatisfaction with what I was doing before--which was basically going to the gym and lifting whatever happened to be handy without any particular program or strategy. I like the idea of this being so simple--I'm not good at sticky with self-directed programs otherwise. I previously lost about 30# doing krav maga and karate, but it got a bit expensive, so I'm back to the gym that my insurance pays for.

Any helpful advice appreciated.

Monday:
squats: 65# 5x5
bench: 65# 5x5
barbell row: 45# 5x5

Wednesday:
squats: 70# 5x5
overhead press: 65# 5x5
deadlift: 95# 1x5

Replies

• cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Just a quick note, I notice your squat increase is only 5lbs, this needs to be 10lbs for a while as your lower body can handle 10lbs jumps in weight for quite some time compared to the smaller muscles of the shoulders and chest. Just keep at it brother and run the program as written. I would add chin-ups and ab work as I think this is something you will come back and say after that you wish you had done and the program does mention it as optional, but that's it... Don't go customizing or adding a bunch of isolation crap that the program does not mention or call for. You will get to that stuff soon enough when you move to an Intermediate program.
  • peterdsherry
    Options
    Thanks for the great advice--10 lb increases will be easy to make happen.
  • peterdsherry
    Options
    Quick Update as of most recent workouts:

squats 135lb 5x5
    bench 95lb 5x5
    pendlay row 70lb 5x5
    overhead 65lb 5x3, 4x2
    deadlift 120lb 1x5

Not quite a month in. I really do feel my strength increasing and more confidence, but I don't look a LOT different yet. How long does it take to really see physical changes?
  • gwhizeh
    gwhizeh Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Not quite a month in. I really do feel my strength increasing and more confidence, but I don't look a LOT different yet. How long does it take to really see physical changes?

What are your goals? Weight loss? Bulking up? Both those are more diet than lifts as Im sure you know. And great gains btw. Its always been my understanding this is a strength program. Not to say you cant cut or bulk on it, but for gaining strength.

In response to your question, I would give it a little more time. Maybe another month even. You will continue to make great gains. The first place I noticed a change in body was in my shoulders of all places. And I do wanna say around that 2 month mark, but I don't really remember exactly. All I know is I still have a long way to go lol.

Keep up the hard work. Looks like your doing great! Give it time and it will pay off.

Cheers!