ACV &/or Cinnamon and other supplements...

Options
Lesa1129
Lesa1129 Posts: 66 Member
How well do these things work for you guys and what do you take? I am still a babe in the woods here and I'm looking for anything that helps. Working with diet & Metformin ER so far. At 140 this morning (my lowest from 201 reading a little over a week ago when dx) I'm trying to get to the elusive 100.

Replies

• bdubya55
    bdubya55 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Only in to say, wonderful improvement with your morning testing results!
  • Lesa1129
    Options
    Only in to say, wonderful improvement with your morning testing results!

thanks. I am really trying hard.
  • Lesa1129
    Options
    Anyone?

I am thinking at this point that it cant hurt anything. And I like Cinnamon anyway.
  • theocine
    theocine Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Be patient with yourself. You're doing great!

I do like cinnamon. I don't use capsules - I prefer to add it to my food. when I make oatmeal, it's not a measly teaspoon, but more like a tablespoon (sometimes more). And then when I brew coffee, I often add cinnamon with the grounds. It's supposed to decrease the amount of naturally occurring coumarin that you consume. That can affect your liver.

Evidently, the type of cinnamon that has been positive in tests is the same cassia cinnamon that is found in the grocery stores. I've seen articles suggesting that Ceylon (true) cinnamon is preferred, but there's no scientific evidence. http://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2011/04/10/cinnamon-for-blood-sugar/

Just be careful. I think in moderation, it can't hurt (unless your liver is compromised or you are on blood thinners). And it tastes good!
  • Lesa1129
    Options
    Interesting article. Thanks. I really like Cinnamon in general so I am going to start adding it to my coffee in the morning. Added benefit is the kitchen smells great.

Oh and maybe a piece of cinnamon toast with stevia once in a while.
  • Gentyl
    Gentyl Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    The only problem with cinnamon for diabetics is that it works by forcing the pancreas to produce more insulin. We diabetics have trouble producing effective insulin as it is. And, sadly, once our beta cells (producers of insulin in the pancreas) burn out, they are pretty much gone for life as we don't produce many more after infancy. Ideally, you want to save and guard that organ (pancreas). You don't want it to work to death as it's already impaired.

Another thing about insulin, whether you produce it naturally or you inject it, it is the major fat storing hormone, so you don't want to have to produce too much or take too much... just enough to cover the carbs you eat. Oatmeal has a ton of carbs, so I don't go near it anymore. I still use cinnamon from time to time, but very little because it also contains carbs.

A few months ago, with full knowledge, I started taking Cinsulin from Kroger's (the one from Costco didn't work for me) and that really did help to reduce my fasting blood sugar. I did this with full knowledge for about a month and thought to replace its affects with more exercise. This worked very well. It takes a few weeks to build in the system. But, it was short term and probably not very smart of me. Just a personal choice because I hated seeing my fasting numbers begin to rise.