Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

In Keto for 4 weeks and NO weight loss

811CG
811CG Posts: 8 Member
I've been in ketosis for 4 weeks, following a 65(fat)/25(protein)/10(carb) macro ratio and have lost no weight. Is this normal? Will it just magically kick in? Any thoughts? Thanks!

Replies

• Are you working out too? I haven't weighed myself in awhile because I get discouraged if it doesn't live up to my expectations so I am not sure how I am doing weight wise on keto but I feel thinner and to me I look thinner so I am going with it. I know from previous experience though that when I work out I gain muscle and lose fat and the scale doesn't budge (again, why I am not weighing myself). This time around I've been working out for 3 weeks so I probably won't weigh myself for another month or so to give my body more time to adapt.
    Also, make sure you are drinking enough water.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Keto isn't magic.

There is a lot of information we don't have, so I doubt anyone here would be able to accurately answer this. We'd need food logs, TDEE, current weight, bf%, and so on to even have a clue.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,383 Member
    We might be able to help out more if we knew your stats. What's your current weight and goal weight? Height? Daily calories? How much water are you drinking? Exercise routine?
  • Keto isn't magic.

There is a lot of information we don't have, so I doubt anyone here would be able to accurately answer this. We'd need food logs, TDEE, current weight, bf%, and so on to even have a clue.

What is TDEE???
  • 811CG
    Any and all suggestions are appreciated. I feel like by hitting my macros and calorie goals with no results. I did fall out of Keto once 2 weeks ago but quickly went back in. Thanks!

height 5'8"; current weight 150; goal weight 135; I drink a ton of water (at least 140 ounces/day)

I stopped exercising when I began the diet so as not to skew the results but live in NYC so still get in a decent amount of walking. Previously I would do the elliptical for an hour 3-4 times a week at varying resistance and incline and intend to go back to this when I begin to see weight loss results.

BMR: 1444; Daily Calorie Intake 1390; BF% 23

In addition to no weight loss, all clothing still fits snugly.

Sample Food Log from Yesterday: (Please note I drink vodka or wine 3-4 times/week and postulate this is the source of the stagnation)

Breakfast Calories Carbs Fat Protein Sodium Fiber
    Dunkin Donuts - Large Iced Coffee With Milk, 32 oz 60 6 2 4 40 0
    Add Food
    Quick Tools
    60 6 2 4 40 0
    Lunch
    Pjg Salad - Greek Salad W/ Feta and Tomato/cucumber, 0.5 cup 33 1 3 1 25 0
    Kale - Raw, 0.5 cup, chopped 17 3 0 1 14 1
    Beans - Snap, green, cooked, boiled, drained, with salt, 0.2 cup 9 2 0 0 60 1
    Al Fresco - Tomato & Basil Chicken Meatballs, 6 Meatballs 240 6 14 24 570 0
    Kraft Cheese - 100% Grated Parmesan Cheese, 3 tsp ( teaspoon) 30 0 2 3 113 0
    Add Food
    Quick Tools
    329 12 19 29 782 2
    Dinner
    Cheese - Parmesan, grated, 4 tbsp 86 1 6 8 306 0
    House Foods - Traditional Shirataki White Yam Noodle Substitute, 1 container (8 oz ea.) 0 5 0 0 0 0
    Mario Batali - Alla Vodka Pasta Sauce, 1/4 cup cooked 70 3 6 2 170 1
    Classico - Creamy Alfredo Pasta Sauce, 1/4 cup 80 3 7 2 410 0
    Add Food
    Quick Tools
    236 12 19 12 886 1
    Snacks
    Citterio - Calabrese & Mozzarella Snack, 3 oz 285 0 23 18 953 0
    Breyers - Carb Smart Fudge Bar (Updated April 2013), 1 Bar 100 9 7 2 60 2
    Add Food
    Quick Tools
    385 9 30 20 1,013 2

Totals 1,010 39 70 65 2,721 5
    Your Daily Goal 1,368 34 99 86 2,300 25
    Remaining 358 -5 29 21 -421 20
    Calories Carbs Fat Protein Sodium Fiber
  • toxikon
    Here are a few of my thoughts.

As a woman in her 30s, you're already at a disadvantage for losing weight quickly. Unfortunately us ladies just hang on to fat a lot more than men do. Secondly, you only have a small bit of weight to lose, so it's going to come off very slowly. Because you're at a normal weight for your height already, your body doesn't want to let go of that extra fat.

One thing I notice is that your carbs seem a tad too high. I personally aim for 20g net carbs per day. It looks like you're almost doubling that, which may be affecting the ketosis side of it.

There are a few things you can try to get the scale moving again:
    1. Cut out all dairy.
    2. Cut out all alcohol.
    3. Raise your fat consumption, lower carbs to 15-20g net carbs.
    4. Drink more water.
    5. Reduce calories.
    6. Work out more (strength training is a great way to burn fat).
  • 811CG
    Thanks, Toxikon! The Keto Calculator suggested 34 net based on my goals but I may try to get lower. I think the dairy and alcohol have to go if I want to see any significant differences. I can't imagine a life without cheese!
  • JLa915
    JLa915 Posts: 5 Member
    I am in the same boat. I am about to walk over to Hillstone, and order a spinach and artichoke dip and a dirty martini.

Height: 5'7"
    Weight: 151.4

All I gotta say is - keep on, keepin on. The lbs will eventually fall off ...
  • JLa915
    i have a question - what are ppl's thoughts on morning coffee with whole milk? i really would like to NOT give it up - as it is so delicious, and a morning ritual - but do you think perhaps my morning joe is inhibiting weight loss. 811CG, I notice you also have a cup of coffee in the AM, so perhaps the larger group can provide us some quality advice on this?
  • toxikon
    Lots of people on keto enjoy "Bullet-proof coffee" in the morning. It's a combination of coffee and a full-fat substance like butter, coconut oil, or heavy cream. I'm not a coffee drinker myself, but I've heard it's very tasty!
  • Apinget
    Apinget Posts: 41 Member
    i have a question - what are ppl's thoughts on morning coffee with whole milk? i really would like to NOT give it up - as it is so delicious, and a morning ritual - but do you think perhaps my morning joe is inhibiting weight loss. 811CG, I notice you also have a cup of coffee in the AM, so perhaps the larger group can provide us some quality advice on this?

I enjoy my daily cup of joe with some heavy whipping cream, thick, creamy and delicious~
    Sometimes I'll stir in a TBSP of coconut oil, it's heavenly!

Great advice for OP Toxikon, took the words right out of my head!
  • crepes_
    crepes_ Posts: 583 Member
    Instead of coffee with whole milk, try a splash of heavy cream for a bit. A lot of ketoers eventually transition to black coffee with a sweetner, or the surprisingly-delicious bulletproof coffee with some butter or coconut oil. Sounds strange, but it turns coffee into a treat. Add a touch of cinnamon and it's practically a dessert that keeps you satisfied for quite some time.

As for the frequent alcohol consumption, that might be what's stalling you. When you consume alcohol, you body puts your weight loss on hold. It deals with the alcohol first. I drink very infrequently, and only when I'm alright with the scale stalling. Wine is higher in carb than I'd prefer, as well. I stick to low-carb beers like Michelob Ultra or straight liquour like vodka, some rums, and whiskey, but always in moderation.

Perhaps try eliminating the alcohol for a few weeks, and bringing your carbs down to sub 20 like most ketoers. It may help! Best of luck!
  • I would also start preparing your own food so you know exactly what is in it. A lot of the items you listed off are either pre-packaged or made by someone else.
    I personally avoid all "low carb" products like the plague, they are most likely loaded with crap to get them low carb and one of the benefits of eating this lifestyle should be that you are eating REAL food.
    Check labels and read the ingredients for hidden carbs/sugars. I only recently discovered around Christmas that pre-shredded cheese (very conventient and shows 0 carbs) is coated with a product that makes it not clump in the bag but do have trace carbs that will add up over time and also, it is another chemical youd body doesn't need:
    "The shredded cheeses packaged by major manufacturers are carefully managed to provide the greatest possible shelf life. Many of them package the cheese in bags containing nitrogen or another inert gas, which prevent oxidation and inhibit mold and drying. Most brands also toss the shredded cheese with one or more inert powders, such as processed cellulose, to prevent the individual shreds from sticking to each other. Antifungal agents are also common."
    I shred my own cheese now! :)

Splenda is also another one that actually has quite a bit of carbs and calories in it.........I still use it here and there but now I know how to account for it (it is not a free food!). This was a response from a slenda rep on another page I visited in the past:

"The caloric and carbohydrate content for SPLENDA(R) Brand Sweetener is as follows:

SPLENDA(R) Granular
    1 tsp = 0.5 gm carb = 2 calories
    one half cup = 12 gm carb = 48 calories
    1 cup = 24 gm carb = 96 calories

*1 tsp. = 1 serving

Packet of SPLENDA(R)
    1 packet = .9 gm of carb = 4 calories

*1 packet has the sweetness of 2 tsp of sugar

Note: Per U.S. labeling laws, anything with less than 5 calories per serving, is properly labeled as "zero" or no-calorie.

The caloric and carbohydrate content for sugar is as follows:

Sugar
    1 tsp = 4 gm of carb= 16 calories
    one half cup = 96 gm of carb= 385 calories
    1 cup = 192 gm of carb = 770 calories

Note: The calories and carbohydrates in SPLENDA(R) No Calorie Sweetener come from dextrose and/or maltodextrin, which are added for bulk. Sucralose, the sweetening ingredient in SPLENDA(R) Brand Sweetener, has no calories and is not a carbohydrate.

Granular - sucralose, maltodextrin (0.5 gram per serving)
    Packets - sucralose, maltodextrin and dextrose (less than 1 gram per packet)"
  • 811CG
    huneydrop - I had no idea about the Splenda. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. I agree, the less I eat prepared foods and the more I cook at home the better I feel and more consistently I can track.
  • 811CG
    Instead of coffee with whole milk, try a splash of heavy cream for a bit. A lot of ketoers eventually transition to black coffee with a sweetner, or the surprisingly-delicious bulletproof coffee with some butter or coconut oil. Sounds strange, but it turns coffee into a treat. Add a touch of cinnamon and it's practically a dessert that keeps you satisfied for quite some time.

As for the frequent alcohol consumption, that might be what's stalling you. When you consume alcohol, you body puts your weight loss on hold. It deals with the alcohol first. I drink very infrequently, and only when I'm alright with the scale stalling. Wine is higher in carb than I'd prefer, as well. I stick to low-carb beers like Michelob Ultra or straight liquour like vodka, some rums, and whiskey, but always in moderation.

Perhaps try eliminating the alcohol for a few weeks, and bringing your carbs down to sub 20 like most ketoers. It may help! Best of luck!

Thanks! I have been reading anything under net 50 should keep you in ketosis but it does make sense to target 20-25. Wine content is definitely too high. I was hoping that by still meeting my macros and caloric intake even with a drink or two it wouldn't significantly impact loss. Guess I was wrong on that one...
  • 811CG
    does anyone have any suggestions for good high fat/low protein options to help meet macros. my dieting group has hit a roadblock with avocados.
  • does anyone have any suggestions for good high fat/low protein options to help meet macros. my dieting group has hit a roadblock with avocados.

Assuming you have no issues with dairy, cream of mushroom soup and brocoli cheddar soup I eat 4 times a week (2 of each). Both are filling, high in fat, low in carbs and low in protein. I know the portions may seem large but this is my biggest meal and it's all I eat for the meal. I have 2000 calories/day to work with.........

Broccoli Cheddar Soup
    SINGE SERVING

2 small heads (2 cups) fresh broccoli 0/8/6/40
    1 stalk (1/2 cup) celery - chopped 0/0.5/0.5/8
    1 can chicken stock 0/2/2/20
    1/2 Cup heavy cream 40/0/2.5/400
    1/2 (60 grams) Cup cheddar cheese, shredded 22/0/14/240
    1 1/2 Tbsp butter 16.5/0/0/150
    Pepper to taste

78.5/10.5/25/858
    NO SALT NEEDED

Melt butter in pot.
    Add chicken broth, salt, pepper, and broccoli. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer 45 mins or until broccoli is soft.
    Add heavy cream... then add the shredded cheddar. Mix well, if you would like to thicken it up turn up the heat and add Xanthan gum if needed.
    Stir constantly for a few minutes, making sure cheese melts completely.
    Can also use immersion blender once everything is added and well blended.

Makes 2 cups

Cream of Mushroom Soup

SINGLE SERVING

2 portabello mushrooms - chopped 0/6/4/40
    1/2 cup celery - chopped 0/0.5/0.5/8
    2 tablespoons butter 22/0/0/200
    1 cup chicken broth 0/2/2/20
    1/2 cup heavy cream 40/0/2.5/400
    Salt and pepper, to taste
    1/2 tsp Xanthan gum (if needed)
    62/8.5/9/668

In a medium skillet, sauté the mushrooms and celery in the butter until soft. Add the broth and cream. Bring to a boil, then turn down the heat a bit use the immersion blender to blend the soup. Continue coooking until thickened (add xanthan gum here if needed), stirring frequently and watching closely so it doesn't boil over. Season to taste.

Makes 3 cups

The numbers above are my macros fat/carbs/protein/calories - just incase anyone is wondering......
  • 811CG
    Great Suggestions - can't wait to try to mushroom soup huneydrop!
  • JLa915
    Has anyone found that alcohol intake actually helps persons utilizing the ketosis diet to lose weight? i have read several articles that suggest this. and no, i'm not an alcoholic - i just enjoy after work drinks with colleagues on the regular.
  • EllieB_5
    EllieB_5 Posts: 247 Member
    I would cut the amount of veggies you're eating; cut out the Dunkin Doughnuts coffee; stop with the wine (and vodka too if you can); cut out the processed foods; reduce your net carbs to only about 20g max per day. The 20g will be difficult to achieve at first but if you stick with it your body starts to crave fats instead of carbs; I'm just entering that phase now.

The best advice I was given was to experiment until I find what works for me, and now I'm finally seeing results. I incorporate high fiber veggies into my diet to help curb carb cravings, but I ensure I stay close to 20g a day (except this week+ when I've been sick, I've increased it to about 30-35g a day). What I'm starting to find right now is that if I'm craving carbs I have some veggies to quash it, otherwise I aim only to incorporate a small portion of fiber rich veggies into one meal a day; basically, I have a goal but I wing it based on what my body feels it needs.

F|37|keto