Optifast Newbie Right Here

Options
rmp1977
rmp1977 Posts: 9 Member
Hi all. Let's get some more posts on here. I started today with 6 products a day. I have to admit, that even though I had 80 oz of water in addition to the 6 products, I was hungry all day. More than that, I found myself thinking constantly about when the next "meal" will be there in 3 hours. Haha. I am a teacher, so I am on my feet all day. I weigh 353 and need to get to 180 to be a healthy weight for my height of 5'9". I need encouragement, and I've kinda gone public with this commitment. Thanks in advance for your support.

I need to do this for myself, my husband and my kids.

Thanks!

Replies

• lisarrogers
    Options
    I am a teacher too and I actually like optifast for the convenience. I know that on days like today (snow day) I tend to clock watch more than when I'm busy teaching. At school I feel the hunger pains and know that it's time to eat again. I have done a modified program for 5 months. Some days were all product (5) others are three products and then a dinner with protein and vegetables. Then a small snack.

I am working out a lot more now so the protein meal has been better than products for me in the evening. I have lost 70 pounds in my five months. It will work and the schedule has helped me make better choices. Plus now that I have seen such good results I pick healthier choices. I really do not have the cravings for "bad" foods. There are days I'm hungry and I adjust as needed as this is a lifetime change.

Stick with it and you are not alone in your journey! The Facebook groups are pretty active if you want to look there for additional support!
  • servicedograiser
    servicedograiser Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I am a returning optifast user (1993). I am doing the modified program. I am trying to decrease hunger by adding 1/4 teas xanthum gum and 1/8 teas guar gum to my morning shake to add fiber and decrease hunger. I had good success before on the full program but gained most of it back -- I didn't realize I was gluten intolerant!
  • rmp1977
    Options
    Thanks, Lisa. I am just learning how to navigate MFP...so I just saw that you left a reply. I agree that I like the keeping busy part of my job...makes this easier. This 4 day weekend is killing me. Can't wait to get back into a routine. I don't do FB just because I'd be addicted. Thanks for your support. Congrats on losing 70! I'm in this phase for 18 weeks (until June 18), and my goal is 75 lbs....They told me not to work out until this coming week, so I plan to start doing at least something beginning tomorrow.
  • mnypeny4s1y
    Options
    Hi I am new here as well. I have been on Opitfast for a while now. I know that you have to drink 100 Oz of water a day, I thought I would never get it in. I took me two weeks to get it all in. But then I started losing a lot of weight. One week I lost 6.9 lbs. I did have a lot of potty breaks. It is so worth the drinking the water; I also started to be less hungry. I have learned that there is two types of hunger 1) HEAD Hunger, this is you telling yourself you are hungry when you really are not; 2) PHYSICAL Hunger, this is
    went no mater what you do, you are hungry. Learning this distinction has really helped me. Now, I ask myself, Am I really hungry or not??? I drink more water and in ten minutes I ask myself am I hungry again. Usually I have gotten busy and I am not hungry any more. As you are on the program you get less hungry and you do not think about when to eat either. I have to set a timer to remind me; because I get so busy I forget to eat the Product. Maybe you would like the Bars. I have them in my purse for when something comes up and I can't make my shake. Hope this helps a little.
  • mnypeny4s1y
    Options
    Welcome back to the program of Optifast. Good luck with you program of being on a modified program.
  • mnypeny4s1y
    Options
    Hi, How is the 1/4 teas xanthum gum and 1/8 teas guar gum added to you shake doing. I have been adding benefiber. It can be very expensive after a while.
  • mnypeny4s1y
    Options
    i have been doing the Opitfast for two months. I had surgery in March 2013. I have just begun to lose weight. I am enjoying the chocolate shakes. I have been adding cinnamon for flavoring and they really taste good. I have been trying to get my 100 ounces of water in. I usually add lemon juice to it to get it in. My moderator suggested not to because of the citric acid and to watch my equal packets. I changed to Spenda and stopped the lemon juice and I lost 6.9 pounds. I couldn't believe it!! Yeah!! Now to keep getting in the water. I have started to do walking and use the pedometer faithfully each day. First day I got in 4543 steps extra to my normal walking around. I went to the gym and walked the walking track. I really felt great afterwards. My challenge this week is to totally give up the Spenda. How is everyone doing??
  • raekirby
    raekirby Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi All,
    I started Optifast on January 6th and its been going great. Strangely enough I love getting on the scale now and seeing the weight drop off. It is a great motivator for when I get those cravings when I smell something I love, or during big family Sunday dinners when I see the food I used to eat. I am not hungry doing the program but my brain sometimes has different ideas on what it wants. Luckily for me my stomach tells it you are not hungry and to forget about it. A few minutes later and I am on to something else and happier that I passed on the temptation.
    My entire family has been great in motivating me and helping me stick to my goals. My mom even has plans to go to an informational meeting in March to see about joining! I told her I would go with her for support because everyone needs someone in their corner. My husband's aunt who I think of like a mom went through Optifast and she is my inspiration. She checks in on me, sends me motivational thoughts, and sent me tons of recipes for when I get bored. Right now I am doing ok but am looking forward to using some of them later.
    I am glad I found this site as working with others can be a real motivator or support when times get tough. Those were weeks 3 and 4 for me. I keep telling myself that it took time to pack on and it will take time to loose. Also that I am human and one mistake does not derail me from my overall goal. That last one is a hard one for me!
    In the end, I have been on the program for a month and a half now and I am already down 28lbs so all is good for now. I hope you all find support in your program and know that we are all in the same boat. This journey will be one rollercoaster ride but once you get off it, you will love the results!
    Take Care,
    Rachael:drinker:
  • mnypeny4s1y
    Options
    Hi Rachael and welcome to this group. You are doing fantastic. If you start to question how you are doing grab a 25# bag of potatoes and see how long you can carry it. I did this the last time I was in Kroger and let me tell you I couldn't hold on to it very long. That equates to how much 25 pound felt like on us. Comparing that to how you feel now just reinforces how successful you have been. Keep up the good work!! Support is oh so very helpful. Glad you family is giving it to you. Thanks for sharing all you thoughts.

I myself have times when I flatten out. I just can't lose any weight. But, I keep going and then in a week or two, I loose a lot of weight. You are definitely one who can and is sharing how they are going through this journey. Glad you are here.
  • mnypeny4s1y
    Options
    Sharing some thoughts today:
    Head Hunger vs. level of felling full
    For me this has been a real struggle. I have never really had a handle on this felling full. I use to eat and eat till I couldn't eat no more; which is really bad for you. Now, I am getting comfortable with it. I am learning to do several thing. I am sure you have heard that it takes 20 minutes for your stomach and the rest of your digestive system to give you a signal that you get to you brain to say you are full. I never paid any attention to it. Now I am trying to listen to my body and do some things first before listening to my stomach instead of my brain. I first try to pause and drink some water. Then I drink so more water. Then I do a rating of the hunger on a scale. The moderator of my group gave us a packet called "Mindful eating" inside is a scale to rate your huger and satiety. 1-10 scale. At first I just read this and put it away. The next week everyone wanted to discuss this and we did. Some of the group were using this everyday. So, I gave it a shot. I have a copy of the scale in my Daytimer and I look at it when I need to.

Question to everyone:

Have you read this and how is it working for you??
  • raekirby
    raekirby Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi mnypeny4s1y,

Thank you and thank you for the words of encoragement! You comment about the potatoes is awesome as loosing weight is all about mindset . I think I am going to do that as I am sure it will help me solidify that all that is actually gone from my body. When you are loosing weight no matter how quickly it comes off it still doesn't feel like it is fast enough or noticable. I will say though that I have a absolutely awesome husband who is greatly supportive in everything I do. He comments all the time about how noticable it is even when he is hugging me. It feels great when I hear those comments but when I look in the mirror it is always harder for me to "see it" gone. So next time I am in the grocery store (tomorrow) I am picking up a sack of potatoes!

Take Care,
    Rachael:happy:
  • rmp1977
    Options
    Thanks for the information. I lost 7.9 lbs. the first week. I go back for my second weigh in on Tuesday. I do like the yogurt berry bar, so I do keep it in my purse. I hate that it's an up-charge though. This is quite pricy.
  • lisarrogers
    Options
    I think it is funny how our tastes are so different. I do not like the berry bar. I prefer the chocolate peanut butter bar. I use the sugar free syrups in my shakes. I love adding blueberry and almond to the vanilla. To the chocolate I add raspberry or peppermint or coconut. I have lots of the flavors and I play with combinations.
  • servicedograiser
    Options
    it works well to control Head hunger, allowing me to get to true physical hunger, allowing Me time tro make good choices.. It is gluten free so I actually had them ion my cupboard for baking already. They seem to be able to pull garbage out of the intestional track allowing for soft stools even on low calorie diet.

I use 1/2 teas xantham gum and 1/4 teas guar gum split over 2 shakes.

Unfortunately I am reacting to gluten ..soy protein..or titanium dioxide in my progresso soup from Sat night, so for the next 3 days weight loss is unlikely as my system takes its nap. So it's on to miralax and amitiza to try to jump start my digestive system.

I hate these food allergies.
  • mnypeny4s1y
    Options
    Don't get discouraged because of your food allergies. You a learning how your body taken in the nutrients and uses them. I see that the positive side is that you are learning what you can't have allowing you to focus on the new and exciting things you can have. You have the opportunity to experiment with foods. Take the time to find what is working!! I have found out I can assimilate Equal sweetener like everyone else can. I now have found Spenda and I am trying it to see it I can use it. I am also experimenting with Guava (?) sweetener I found this at the Health Food Store. It is a liquid and I am trying it in my Shakes. I know it can be discouraging for you but, I am here so you have someone to talk to and encourage you on. I haven't lost an weight this week. But, I see it as I didn't gain any either Hugs!!!!
  • mnypeny4s1y
    Options
    You are doing so very very very good. Experimenting is the key to keeping you going. I like cinnamon in my chocolate Shake. When I need energy I use nutmage. Maybe it is in my head but, it works. Keep up the good work.
  • mnypeny4s1y
    Options
    Yeah for you on your lost weight! That is fantastic. Keep up the great work and keep drinking the water, water, water. That's when I had my 6.9 poung weight loss. I know you thing the bars a pricey but they work. I use to purchase a McD's caramel mocha at $3.79 a pop. (Some times two or three times a day). My shake is only a little more and i feel so much better loosing the weight. Can't wait to hear how you do.
  • mnypeny4s1y
    Options
    Another trick I did was I took a bar of soap and had a friend do my out line on the mirror. I used the full length one in my bedroom. Only I can look at it and see how i am doing. I held my arms up to get the outline of my arms and kind of spread my legs out too. My outline is changing each month. It is really helpful to see how much your upper body changes before the lower part does. I also take measurements of my upper arms, chest, waist,hip, thights and wrists. My rings are getting so loose that I have to have them resized by the jeweler. Small Steps at a time really helps! Let me know how the potatoes go for you. When I did it I only got three isles before putting them back LOL!!
  • servicedograiser
    Options
    Thanks for the support! They confirmed that the soup has titanium dioxide as white food coloring. I am relieved to know its an old (since 1988) allergen. I just reacted strongly. These are the real life hurdles I face when I eat. I continued to exercise and reduce calories and hope to post a weight loss soon!
  • mnypeny4s1y
    Options
    Hi Everyone today is Monday, I go tomorrow for weigh-in. I am not looking forward to it because I had a very hard weekend. We had ice and sleet followed by snow. No going out to the gym and I just wasn't in the mood to do anything at home. I am reading the Book "Solutions" which is on the reading list from Opitfast Welcome packet. This really addressed the FEELINGS issue. I am learning to ask three questions: 1)What am I feeling? 2)What do I need? and 3) Do I need support? Most of the time I keep coming up with Anger. That is when I want to eat things crunchy so I tear things up LOL!!! It stays for a while and then goes away. But in the time I am experiencing it - it seems like a very long time. So, of course I ate some things I am not suppose to eat. But, at least this time I did not beat myself up and I wrote somethings in my journal. Writing really helps a lot!!