"Lucky"

Options
Has anyone ever been told they were "lucky" for being able to take thyroid medicine, which in turn (obviously) helps them lose some weight.

I ask because a woman at work has watched my struggle for the last year, since I've been at this company, about getting help. Mid-last year I gained 25-30lbs in a month and a half, changing nothing about my diet or exercise. In October I found an amazing doctor (3 hours away) and she put me on Armour.

I lost maybe a pound or two from that, but decided that now that I got help, I was going to go hard about losing weight. I did the gym thing for two and a half months and lost about 4 lbs.

In December I started going to a local Crossfit gym, and since then I've lost a total of 17lbs. I really pay attention to my diet and I adore my classes. They are hard and can hurt, but I love it. I mentioned today at work that I'd lost 17lbs after my friend asked, and I had a girl say

"Wow, how can I get this medicine! I wish I could lose that much weight so easily! You're lucky you can do that!"

I just about lost it. After years of extreme mood swings, depression, anxiety, hair loss and everything else, and a complete lose of hope, this woman says I'm lucky JUST because I've worked my butt to the bone to lose weight....which still took 4 months to achieve!

Am I the only one to get such a outrageous statement?

Replies

• embclark
    embclark Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    When I was diagnosed as hypothyroid, I had a woman tell me that the weight was going to melt off and that it would be so great. She insisted that I was so lucky because I would be soooo skinny. Fast forward 4 years and I am still trying to lose the weight...
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    My endocrinologist told me that taking Synthroid means I can lose just like anyone else. Wrong. It took me a whole year to lose 20 lb.

OP, you lost weight because you worked your *kitten* off. (Literally!) Do not let your jealous co-worker negate your hard work. You rock!
  • krennie8
    krennie8 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Oy, yes you're so "lucky" to have an autoimmune disorder. I have not had this but one friend did suggest I stay on a dose for weight loss purposes when I felt like I was going hyper.
  • BehindBlueEyes988
    Options
    My endocrinologist told me that taking Synthroid means I can lose just like anyone else. Wrong. It took me a whole year to lose 20 lb.

OP, you lost weight because you worked your *kitten* off. (Literally!) Do not let your jealous co-worker negate your hard work. You rock!

Thank you! There's been a few days I could hardly walk from soreness, and now I was able to dead lift a 90lb atlas ball!

It just blows my mind, like you all, that someone dare say I'm lucky. I looked at her and said "the weight gain was the least concerning part. The crippling depression is more what the problem was"

She shut her mouth pretty quick
  • brenda5476
    brenda5476 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I had lost 25 lbs thru very hard work (1.5 hour spin classes, working out with a personal trainer etc.) then I gained it all back. Once I went on Synthroid my sister said to me "well...that's good cause now the weight will come off quicker".

They don't understand how hard it is - I work my *kitten* off and get a .5 lb loss - but...I am losing again and working hard at it. Down 12 lbs total but it is definitely a struggle.

Nice to have support!!
  • BehindBlueEyes988
    Options
    It is! I'm thankful my fiance is so supportive and understanding of my disease now. He didn't understand at first and thought it was all me. Once I was put on Armour he saw the old me come back and he completely understands now. He even went gluten free so it was easier to buy food. He's already very fit, but he changed what he ate to go with me and is incredibly supportive and understanding. If it wasn't for him I'd have been way too scared to even look at a crossfit gym
  • allergictodiets
    allergictodiets Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Hearing something like that makes you wonder whether you should laugh or cry. Would your colleague also take hair loss, waves of overwhelming fatigue, aches and panes and last but not least brain fog???
    Congratulation on your weight loss btw. :-)
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    i actually had a doctor ask me if i was overdosing on my thyroid meds to get a good weight loss

so my weight loss has nothing to do with me keeping my cals below 1500, the hours spent in the gym and me swimming every day then?

all because after surgery my heart rate was around the 100 mark. give me back my pain meds mr *kitten* and it might drop a little
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    oh and they refused to give me my thyroid meds for 3 days while they tested thier dumb theorys
  • BehindBlueEyes988
    Options
    Sometimes people can just be stupid. So many people claim thyroid issues to make up for weight gain who are actually healthy. I had a guy at work tell me he thought maybe his was bad and that's why he was heavy (It had nothing to do with the fact that he eats fast food for literally every meal of the day, not including countless candy bars and sodas). Just one of those diseases that is misunderstood and none care to learn, but sure care to open their mouths about it.

The brain fog is the absolute worst. I just went back for my 6 month check up Monday and my levels were right back up. Got my meds up'ed to 60mgs now, instead of 30