3rd shift specific challenges to being healthy

Options
So one thing that's tough about working overnights is the availability of healthy choices. Now I'm at the beginning of my weight loss and ultimately, I'll begin bringing food to work but on busy nights, even that may not help. If we get back to back to back calls, it's not uncommon for us just to grab some fast food and eat in the van. I'm trying to look into healthier choices at the local fast food places just to make better decisions but it's definitely a challenge that comes with the shift.

My other obstacle is that when I get off work, I try to go work out. But that's at 4am. After a 10 hour shift, I definitely want sleep. But I know that if I go home and go to bed, I just won't go when I wake up. I'm already in my comfortable place. So after work it is.

What do you see as your challenges by working overnights?

Replies

• sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,205 Member
    Options
    My biggest challenge is the down time. When you're sitting around you want to snack and you can only eat so much celery. if someone brought chips it's usually too much and I have a few.
  • XianC
    XianC Posts: 93
    Options
    For some reason I don't have that problem too often. I think when I am at work and we have down time, I'm usually on here or on reddit or just browsing the web or watching a movie and it keeps my mind busy enough to where I don't think about it. Tonight though, I got a little hungry and ate the protein bar I was saving for the morning. Oh well, a couple hours early.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    I'm working on a very large apple but I hear Vella's chips calling me from the treatment room. :bigsmile:
  • 1QtwithaQ
    1QtwithaQ Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    MMM let's see my challenges working nights are the same as you guys:
    Working out - too tired to except on my days off
    Being Bored- eating unhealthy thing out of the snack machine when I bring health snacks!
    (whispering just had BBQ Fritos and twix)
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    Yes, but there is nothing like French Fries and a Frosty when you are bored. :laugh: :laugh:
  • horsygal06
    horsygal06 Posts: 2
    Options
    I think my biggest issue is not planning my meals and not getting enough exercise. I started insanity and did the first 3 weeks REALLY well. Then the last week my boyfriend got sick and I wanted to keep up with him and didn't end up doing it. Then the next week we started again, but I got REALLY tired and started oversleeping (blame my great dane for waking me up a lot during my sleep). We're starting again this week for sure!

But, as far as planning my meals, I really just wing it, and that's a problem. I end up running late for work (I work 10pm-8am mon-thurs), and drive through some where. (Shamefully)

Anyone else have these issues?
  • MLT314
    MLT314 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hello! I work steady night shift; Sun.thru Thurs. from 11PM to 7:30 AM. I do pack my lunch and snacks for work but I sometimes buy from the vending machine too! I find that I am hungry in the morning when I get home; so I eat right before laying down. I am not getting a full 7 or 8 hour stretch of sleep during the day. Have little or no energy during the day! Most days I just feel like staying in bed all day. This means I do not spend as much time with my family( I have three children) as I would like. As my husband won't be intimate with me because I am fat! Feeling so depressed and stressed out! Little or no contact with my parents or friends also. Need advice please.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    MLT - What do you do for a living? Is there a time when you could take a break and get out and walk a little? Any kind of moving is very helpful for energy. I know this sounds wrong, but after about a month of getting out a biking, I had more energy than I did when I was sedentary. I know it looks like a long hopeless struggle to get back in shape and work night shifts, but I've been working them for years and I'm not a body builder buy any means but I've gotten myself back in decent shape through exercise vs diet. I wish I could say I have the willpower to eat right all the time, but on night shifts, that's not always possible so exercise has been my savior in getting back in shape and getting more energy. Let me know if you need suggestions but I'd start out with stretches and walking and go from there.