March Whole 30....a little different

Options

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Day Zero - Weights and Measures

Hey everyone! Now's a good time to get a pre-challenge weight and body measurements. If you're morning has already passed and you didn't weight yourself, you can also do it tomorrow morning. It's not mandatory, but I think it's a good idea, so you can have a "before" and "after" number that you can see. Another datapoint to see how your change affected your body, if you will. You don't have to post them here if you don't want, though it would probably be good to log them in MFP. Feel free to also take any notes on observations of yourself.

At the end of the month, we'll weight and measure again, and compare results! :drinker:
  • nejaustin
    nejaustin Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'm in - giving up the diet soda. I've spent the last week really working on the other basics of primal with giving up all the wheat, sugar, preparing my own food, etc. but gave my self leeway on the diet soda, but it is time - I know it is horrible, and I have quit several times - and body had experience with this on primal/paleo is it any easier?
  • Rei1988
    Rei1988 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I'm not going cold turkey, I'm weening off 50mg at a time for two weeks at a time depending on how I feel. Thanks for all your input though. I hope it goes smoothly.
  • amylahminute
    amylahminute Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm Mylah & I'm in. I'm also a newbie to Paleo, and this'll be my first Whole 30.

As for my "Lenten offering" (ack, can you tell my mom sent me to 13 yrs of Catholic school?) I'll abstain from fruit juices (and G.T. Kombucha has been my weakness lately, so that'll also be hands-off for me) and I'm going to stick to just Kerrygold, flaxseed, hemp, olive, avocado & coconut oils (maybe branch out to others on this list: http://www.thedirtandthedish.com/paleo-approved-oil-chart/).

I'll get my weights & measurements online tomorrow. Glad to be in on this!
  • AbbeyDove
    AbbeyDove Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I'm in on this one. I've been DREADING giving up sugar, but I know I need to, at least for a while. So, Whole 30 it is. I'm not a paleo newby by any means, but I've been a paleo cheater for a while now. March seems like a good month for this kind of thing.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I forgot to weigh this morning so will tomorrow…. but one thing I will give up is weighing myself frequently. So weigh tomorrow and then not again until April. I will have a strict Paleo month (but not necessarily Whole30); actually I'm aiming for 3 months. So my lent challenge will be kicking the carb creep; back to 5%. Sorry fruit, you have to go. Also, keeping the dairy to a minimum. Butter still allowed, and maybe feta occasionally and that's it. The cheese is a hard one for me.

Oh, and the night snacking! That stops too. I intermittent fast but I need to learn to eat the big supper and not snack after! It's not that it's bad to eat at night, it's that I've made it a habit.

What I'm really looking forward to is getting warmer temperatures so that I can leave my house and take my family for some walks… well my child and I walk to school, work etc, but we and the dogs are still having some major cabin fever!
  • GrokRockStar
    GrokRockStar Posts: 2,938 Member
    Options
    My weight is the same as on my ticker, so that'll be my start. I'll have to weigh weekly to monitor my progress more closely, especially because I'll be eating some fruit.
  • mmipanda
    mmipanda Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Giving up booze & cigarettes (drunk smoker)

Though my wedding is on the 29th so I will have a bit of wine or something then I guess. But basically, working on staying sober for 4 weeks. Today I kickstarted a 'healthier' paleo diet too, as I seemed to be cheating a lot.. making desserts with paleo ingredients, eating bacon & eggs every morning for breakfast (paleo but not really 'good' for me), etc.

This morning I made up a big green smoothie & some hardboiled eggs. Crispy skinned salmon for lunch. Good start so far!
  • Dragonwolf
    Options

Though my wedding is on the 29th so I will have a bit of wine or something then I guess. But basically, working on staying sober for 4 weeks. Today I kickstarted a 'healthier' paleo diet too, as I seemed to be cheating a lot.. making desserts with paleo ingredients, eating bacon & eggs every morning for breakfast (paleo but not really 'good' for me), etc.

This morning I made up a big green smoothie & some hardboiled eggs. Crispy skinned salmon for lunch. Good start so far!

Bacon and eggs are, in fact, a good breakfast. What makes you think it isn't? Complement it with some vegetables, and you have quite a fantastic one. The thing you have to watch out for is the additives in the bacon, but that's easily solved by making your own from pork belly if you can't find a good brand.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options

Bacon and eggs are, in fact, a good breakfast. Complement it with some vegetables, and you have quite a fantastic one. The thing you have to watch out for is the additives in the bacon, but that's easily solved by making your own from pork belly if you can't find a good brand.

^This. Fat is good. Fresh pork belly or side is awesome, preferably free range. I bake it on low heat for a long time and love the crunchy skin. And eggs. And maybe even a slab of avocado. Fat heaven.
  • jenn26point2
    jenn26point2 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Fendi - the shocking dizziness, which I call Brain Zaps, were the worst part. I experienced them for an entire year after I took the last pill.
  • jenn26point2
    jenn26point2 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I did not weigh this morning, but will make it a point to weigh tomorrow. I will take my measurements in a little bit. Thanks for the reminder! I forgot to do it before my last whole30 and wish I had.

I fully intend to put the scale away for the whole of my whole30. This one is about removing allergens so my nerves are happy and so my skin clears up. The marathon I'm training for is dependent on happy nerves, and I'm tired of my face looking like it's molting.
  • mmipanda
    mmipanda Posts: 351 Member
    Options

Bacon and eggs are, in fact, a good breakfast. What makes you think it isn't? Complement it with some vegetables, and you have quite a fantastic one. The thing you have to watch out for is the additives in the bacon, but that's easily solved by making your own from pork belly if you can't find a good brand.

I meant that I feel pretty crap eating piles of bacon & eggs every single morning. It sits heavy in my stomach and makes me feel greasy. I'm making an effort to mix it up some days with green stuff and lighter breakfasts. Variety!
  • Lizzard_77
    Lizzard_77 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Tonight is the final night of my Feb Whole30 so will weigh and measure tomorrow (nervous excitement). I have officially decided that I am going to continue with no booze and no sugar. I thought I may have one night next weekend where I have some wine but that is still up in the air and I think that's the boozer side of me saying that!

I know that to reach the goals I have set for April, booze ans sugar simply cannot be in my diet and the longer I abstain, the healthier my body is!
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options

I meant that I feel pretty crap eating piles of bacon & eggs every single morning. It sits heavy in my stomach and makes me feel greasy. I'm making an effort to mix it up some days with green stuff and lighter breakfasts. Variety!

Not piles. lol I often only have one ounce of cooked bacon and 2 eggs (for lunch- I don't eat breakfast).
  • Nutmeg76
    Nutmeg76 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I'll join, but mine isn't as much food related as it is other things. I need to get my fanny in gear, so I am committing to 2 days of strength training per week minimum.

I have also decided to not use my phone/computer in the evening until after my children are in bed. So, around 9 p.m.

I will be eating my version of "paleo" which is somewhat "Perfect Health Diet". The plan is rice/potatoes/starches only on lifting days. Veggies, fruits, meats, seafood, etc. every other meal. I won't give up chocolate but I do think I will limit dairy to just a little in my coffee when I drink it and butter, because I will not stop eating butter...lol Although, I haven't had coffee yet today, maybe I should give that up?

I will weigh/measure tomorrow because I didn't see this thread until today.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    So, 4 days in and I'm already seeing differences. This is a bittersweet realization, to be honest.

So far, it seems dairy is causing me inflammation issues, as evidenced by the noticeable reduction in pain in my hips, and that my eczema appears to be healing (time will confirm that one), but.... dairy is causing it. :sad:

Provided the rest of the month confirms this preliminary observation, the following months will be spent testing the limits of this, and figuring out what component is the base cause (to see if I can incorporate something like cheese or yogurt/kefir back into my diet, at least, or if I can switch to goat's milk).
  • GrokRockStar
    Options
    I think I need to start over. I hate to commit then fail:frown:

How is everyone doing?
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    I think I need to start over. I hate to commit then fail:frown:

How is everyone doing?

Hah, no worries. I ended up in the same boat due to mistiming between starting and actually getting our food order. As a result I was basically left with "eat stuff with dairy (namely cheese) or go hungry" as a choice. Doing a strict Whole 30 also kind of bombed in part because of that.

However, I've still made an effort to minimize the amount of dairy I consume. Cheese has really been the only dairy that I've had, I even still use the clarified butter that I made and don't drink any milk. Even with the cheese, my skin has been happier for it (which gives me even more information to work with).

I tend to be a pragmatic person - "don't let perfection be the enemy of good" (or as I once misquoted - "don't let perfect get in the way of progress"). That doesn't work too well for something like a Whole 30 or other challenge that encourages perfection, but ah well.
  • GrokRockStar
    Options

"don't let perfection be the enemy of good" (or as I once misquoted - "don't let perfect get in the way of progress"). That doesn't work too well for something like a Whole 30 or other challenge that encourages perfection, but ah well.

Oh, I love this, thanks bunches! I always strive to be perfect at it because I want to reap the benefits fully. However, I do realize that I have to be ready, mentally and physically, but i wasn't. Now I am. I have no events planned, no celebrations, I have all the food I need, so no excuses moving forward.