Christian-based books

Options
monih10
monih10 Posts: 578 Member
I love to read christian based inspirational books. I'm interested in knowing which ones are some of you all's favorites, and who are some of your favorite authors! :happy:

Replies

• EchoDelta1013
    EchoDelta1013 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    For fiction, my favorite author is Frank Peretti. His writing blends in the unseen and the supernatural. I wish he wrote more because he comes out with a book about every 5 years. Favorite books include: The Oath, Prophet, Monster, and Illusion.

Ted Dekker's earlier novels are great. Again, he writes about the supernatural and good vs. evil. He's come under a lot of criticism lately because his books have gone into great detail about evil. In essence, very dark. But like I said his early novels are great. I can't stand most Christian romance novels but Ted Dekker is able to do it successfully. There's the trilogy: Black, Red, and White. It's about parallel universes where in one world, evil is literally seen. While on earth, as we know, it's usually unseen. The trilogy also spawned a series of other books. Collectively, it's known as the Book of History Chronicles.

As for non-fiction, I like CS Lewis: Mere Christianity and Screwtape Letters are my favorite. Lee Strobel's The Case for Christ was an eye-opener. He's written other books in the same theme. But I've only read the Christ one. Francis Chan is great. I've read Crazy Love: Overwhelmed by a Relentless God. A couple years ago, Amazon Kindle made 3 of his books free to download. So I have Crazy Love as a book as well as ebook. I have yet to read Erasing Hell and Forgotten God. My favorite devotional is by Oswald Chambers: My Utmost for His Highest. It speaks so true to the heart that I read it about once every 3 years.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Richard Paul Evans writes some pretty awesome stuff. I have practically inhaled every book he's ever written.
  • Iron_Duchess
    Iron_Duchess Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Frank Peretti is awesome, but like mentioned above he is not writing as muchHis lattest book is called Illusion (2012) I love Ted Dekker’s Circle Series which he closed a few years back with Green. The circle is composed of three series: the Circle, the Lost Books, and Paradise. Robert Liparulo is very good too. Most of his books are not explicitly Christian, but his latest Series “The Immortal Files” is. All the authors I mentioned above write Fiction like thrillers, action and adventure books. If you are looking for something more like Women’s Fiction check Lisa Tawn Bergren. She writes Historicals and fantasy Books. She is the writer of one of my favorite series, “River of Time.” None-Fiction: Dr. Kevin Leman, James Dobson, and Stasi Eldredge. I will like to recommend for you to subscribe to the David C Cook Publishing House’s newsletter. They send an email biweekly with free e-books and songs, discounted e-books, and promotions. I have found great books (fiction and non-fiction) through their newsletter. I hope it helps.
  • klross
    klross Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend The Mark of the Lion series. Three books written by Francine Rivers. Set in the time when Rome just sacked Jerusalem and the beginning of the Christian movement. Riveting, heart wrenching, wonderful. They are big books, but I could NOT put them down. I have had numerous people read them and they all enjoyed. Check them out!