Limited Time Frame: Repeat Insanity Fully, Partly or...?

Options
rjlkat
rjlkat Posts: 82 Member
Okay, my second question I wanted to pose to those with Insanity experience...

Today is my rest day and tomorrow will begin my last week of Insanity. I've toned up some, I believe (clothes fit a bit better, so I think a small amount of inches lost), and a few pounds are gone. However, I want to see about 20 more pounds of fat gone before an upcoming event I have.

The question is, once I finish this round of Insanity, I have *just* enough time before said event to complete a second full round of Insanity. Would it be best to repeat another full round, to repeat only Month 2 twice through, or repeat Month 2 only a few workouts a week and do some other workouts on the other days of the week?

A few factors of note: I haven't been to the gym during any of Month 2, making me feel I'm wasting my membership fees (and missing a couple workout buddies). My body has some seriously sore and stiff, often minor-injured muscles after pounding through the intensity of the Month 2 workouts. The time commitment has been frustrating - hour long workouts at home are actually more difficult for me to schedule than an hour of workout at the gym (though the gym is not as intense by any means).

What option do any of you recommend? Personal experience? The goal at this point is more lose body fat, slim down. I'm pretty strong and fairly flexible already, so getting into a smaller size is priority #1 for the event.

Thanks!

Replies

• FromFlabToFurious
    FromFlabToFurious Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Okay, my second question I wanted to pose to those with Insanity experience...

Today is my rest day and tomorrow will begin my last week of Insanity. I've toned up some, I believe (clothes fit a bit better, so I think a small amount of inches lost), and a few pounds are gone. However, I want to see about 20 more pounds of fat gone before an upcoming event I have.

The question is, once I finish this round of Insanity, I have *just* enough time before said event to complete a second full round of Insanity. Would it be best to repeat another full round, to repeat only Month 2 twice through, or repeat Month 2 only a few workouts a week and do some other workouts on the other days of the week?

A few factors of note: I haven't been to the gym during any of Month 2, making me feel I'm wasting my membership fees (and missing a couple workout buddies). My body has some seriously sore and stiff, often minor-injured muscles after pounding through the intensity of the Month 2 workouts. The time commitment has been frustrating - hour long workouts at home are actually more difficult for me to schedule than an hour of workout at the gym (though the gym is not as intense by any means).

What option do any of you recommend? Personal experience? The goal at this point is more lose body fat, slim down. I'm pretty strong and fairly flexible already, so getting into a smaller size is priority #1 for the event.

Thanks!

Personally, if your body is sore and stiff, I wouldn't recommend you do Insanity until your body is better, at least. You need to give your body a chance to recover! I would say, if you really need to, do some easier exercises outside of Insanity. YouTube is your best friend for this, there are so many awesome workouts available for you there.

However, I am happy that you've said something I needed confirmation with. You've got results on your body. Weight isn't what you need to know, it's the inches you lose that make the difference, this is something I've learned over the past couple of weeks. I've been hovering around the same weight for a while now but I've took some before and after snaps of myself and the change is very noticeable. If I were to give you some advice, do NOT focus on scales. Scales are not your friend and they are not accurate. If anything, they'll probably make you feel worse. It's a hard habit to kick, trust me, I know, but you'll feel much better off once you decide not to bother weighing yourself and just focus on looking good.

As I just said, take pictures of yourself and keep them only for you so you can see the difference. This is the best way to do this! :)
  • rjlkat
    Options
    Thanks. Really, I'm not focusing on the scales (I haven't even had access to mine in the last several weeks, though there will HAVE to be scale weight loss in order for me to get to the fitness level I need - there is just too much fat involved). I am more worried about inches. HOWEVER, as I stated in my other post, I'm not real accurate with measuring inches (at least on my belly), mostly because of subconscious variations in how tight I keep my abs at all times.

That said, I am focusing more on the mirror and my clothes. Still, there needs to be a significant FAT LOSS involved, and I'm not seeing much at this point. What I do from next week until the event needs to be something that is going to get the fat off, the inches down.

The soreness and stiffness varies, but Insanity is definitely harder on my body that many other things. But it is also an intense workout and may be what is required to get results. I just don't want to let my muscles get too used to it so that it is not effective. I do take breaks and allow my body to recover, but I do still need to keep up with *effective* workouts.
  • rjlkat
    Options
    Tonight was my last night - I have COMPLETED Insanity. Woo-hoo!

So... I was hoping for some more ideas on the best way to continue to *hopefully* make progress, but not burn out on this or wear my body down by doing it constantly, as it is hard on a person.

I'm highly leaning toward getting back to the gym and working out there doing *something* (suggestions??) and doing Month 2 Insanity workouts a couple times a week. I used to do weight training 3x a week and some cardio 4-5x a week. I don't know if I should go back to that, or if I should find something more cardio-intensive or....

Thoughts?
  • metimemum
    metimemum Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    How about a hybrid with other workout DVDs? Gillian Micheals 30 days shred, or P90X. I had the same question and year ago and some people suggested doing a mix of Insanity with other programmes. Also I thought about doing couple of weeks of yoga for recovery. My yoga teacher has tried to convince me that various poses actually do burn fat around certain areas!

Just a few suggestions.

What you suggested if fine, if you feel that that's best for your body.

Hope that you find something which is right for you.
  • metimemum
    Options
    Oh yes - congratulations on completing Insanity. You rock!
  • rjlkat
    Options
    Thank you! I feel a sense of completion, at least :smile: I took measurements today (though I should wait another day to allow muscle soreness water retention to release), and I've lost at least 2.5 inches from my belly, 2 from my natural waist, nearly one from hips and some from various other areas, so it *has* worked! I just don't want to lose that momentum, yet I can't continue to daily put my body through that degree of intensity.

I like the idea of other videos, but at the same time I haven't been to the gym in over a month (a wasted membership fee makes me cringe). I want to be able to workout somewhere other than at home, because I'm too distracted with all the 'what needs to be done' when I'm at home, and there isn't that much room. At the gym, I'm in a mindset that is easier to keep. Classes are not done at the times/types I need, but I may try to sneak into one or two to try something different. I've even considered doing weights and some cardio at the gym, then come home and do an abbreviated month two workout.

I'd like to get back to doing some yoga. Do to changes at the gym, my once a week yoga class was no longer being taught by the instructor I liked (the only one I liked - she teaches totally different and has just the right amount of mix of strength, flexibility, balance and isometric, as well as calming/mind clearing). I may try to attend her out-of-gym class once every two-four weeks (fee-based) and do some at home now that I'm finished with Insanity. It was too much to add anything to the already 6-days-a-week program. What type of yoga do you do? I, too, want something that is fat burning :wink:
  • metimemum
    Options
    I did Ashtanga Yoga... I love it. I am waiting until I finish round 2 of Insanity then will be a couple weeks of yoga to relax my muscles somehow...
  • terihick
    terihick Posts: 12
    Options
    I've been told by a beach body coach that if you are going to do Insanity again, start from the beginning (day 1). I had the same question and she was very helpful.
  • rjlkat
    Options
    Really? I wonder why start from the beginning if you have *just* completed it. I can understand if it has been a while; it gives your body a chance to build back up, but if you just finished it, unless it is for a break for the body... I just don't want to lose the momentum. I have limited time to get in the best shape I can, and I would hate to lose a month by going back to the beginning. :(

But thank you for the information; I'll have to think on it. For at least this coming week, I believe I am going to try to do a mixture of HIIT/weights at the gym with one or two month 2 workouts to ensure at least one effective cardio routine.