Bitter Fat Friend

Options
Yep, I finally admitted it. I am the bitter fat friend. I try to surround myself with other who are trying to get healthy; but while they are getting healthy, I continue to sport the insulin belly. Am I the only one? I've gone through a tons of fad diets, read countless book, and still am unable to kick the belly.

I wish I had a fat *kitten* or cankles; no I have the belly. I get asked more often than any woman who struggled with infertility if I was pregnant. I love my friends who try to encourage me by telling me what they are doing, but they are not diabetic. They are not insulin resistant. It is so hard and I just want to be done with it all.

It's not about a size anymore or the weight on the scale. I just want to be rid of the spare tire that keeps me feeling less than confident. So I put this out there to see if anyone else knows this struggle. I don't want to wallow; I just want to know that there is hope, that there are others.

Replies

• GlucernaBrand
    Options
    You're not the only one struggling with these issues! It's wonderful that you're changing your eating habits. Exercise is often the key, especially a combination of aerobic exercise and strength training. Build up to 60 minutes of exercise per day, and you'll see improvement in insulin resistance, weight, body composition and also your mood. ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • amandatsteelman
    Options
    Thank you!
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    It is possible to lose weight as a diabetic, it just takes more work. You need to figure out what works for you and your body.

One of the key things for me is eating so that my blood glucose levels remain relatively steady. I seem to be carb sensitive in the morning, so I have lots of protein for breakfast. Usually plain non-fat greek yogurt + flavored protein powder. I have found I tend to have lower sugars in the afternoon, so I've added fruit to lunch. Everyone is different so you need to play around and discover the right combination for you.

One thing my trainer said that has stuck with me, is that as a diabetic I should think of exercise like another medicine. It isn't just about burning calories, it is also about improving my insulin sensitivity. So, just like I take my medicines every day, my goal is to get at least 30 minutes of exercise every day. Not only has it helped me lose weight, but I have been able to reduce my medications.

Just get up each morning and set yourself a few achievable goals for the day. Don't worry about what you did or didn't do yesterday, and don't worry about tomorrow, or how long it might take to reach your goal. Just worry about achieving those goals today. When you string enough today's together, wonderful things can happen.
  • sandign
    sandign Posts: 56
    Options
    It is hard when a diabetic. I've finally started losing but made up my mind I had to drastically change my eating habits.

I also have lower readings during the day and try to keep my lunch heavier than my evening meal. I've always had a large waist and doubt it is going to go away just because of the shape of my body We can completely change our basic shape. But with some basic exercise and watching my eating, I have managed to lose 4" in my waist since December.. Still too big according to charts, but I'll take it. Hopefully it will continue to shrink...one can hope.

But stick with it, log every piece of food going into your body and be sure of the serving sizes, After buying a food scale I was amazed at the difference in what I thought was a serving size and what really is a serving size.

Keep up with yur goals and it will be worth it.
  • GlucernaBrand
    Options
    Losing 4" from your waist is fantastic progress! Just think how much more you'll have lost at this time next year :) ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • amandatsteelman
    Options
    Wow! 4" off your waist is amazing! Thanks for the encouragement!
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Walking on a regular basis has helped me ( I also take insulin), but it's also the last to go.
  • diabetesdieter
    diabetesdieter Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    The one exercise that helped me get to my goal weight three other times (yes I'm a chronic yo yoer) was running. Walking helped me lose some, but running (even small amounts to start) usually gets my loss to about 3 pounds a week and later 2 as I get closer to my goal...
  • GlucernaBrand
    Options
    It sounds like running is a great exercise for you. What gets in your way of continuing to run as a way to maintain at a healthy weight? I find having friends to run with is really motivating. ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • sandign
    sandign Posts: 56
    Options
    I might add that I eat to my meter. I have to learn what works for me and sometimes I'm surprised by what I and and cannot eat. Loffing everything that I eat really helps. That way I can go back to look for a pattern. I also try not to add more that one new food at each meal. That way it's easier to identify the culprit.

I do exercise but it is limited right now. I have bad knees and I get on the readmill for 10-15 min a time about 3 times a day. I also normally do this after a heavy carb meal and it seems to help keep the numbers down. I think the other thing is I'm not doing a fad diet. I just started eating healthier and realizing that I cannot eat whatever I want.

I hate medication of any kind so I working towards eliminating all of my Metformin after my knee surgery. (if possible)

It is slow going but you can do it. But you have to find a way of eating that you can accept for the rest of your life, with the occcasional chat.