new and need help!!

Options
I need friends that will share their diaries with me. I am at a loss as to what I should be eating to both control the diabetes and lose weight. I was also wondering what everyone has their macros set to. Thanks guys!!

Replies

• bdubya55
    bdubya55 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    It's great your reaching out to this community for help singlemom. That's what this community is intended for. To help each other out whenever possible.

I'm an insulin dependent type 2, and treat my condition with mealtime insulin to cover my carb choices, in addition to a long acting basal (background) insulin, including Metformin twice a day too. You're likely to get varied responses. Each of us is unique with our approach in self-managing our food choices, and how those choices affect our blood sugars, along with the blood sugar lowering meds we take-if any.

Myself, I stick to a 10% or below moderate carbohydrate meal plan and, as an T2D insulin user, I know it's not a license to throw caution to the wind. To that end, I choose to keep my diary settings private; as many T2's not using insulin therapies to treat their condition, may not find my food choices beneficial towards their blood sugar management goals.

It's my sincere hope you'll get the responses back from this great topic you've created, to help you reach your goals.
  • GlucernaBrand
    Options
    It's great that you're here for support and information. Be sure to talk with your doctor and get a referral to a diabetes education class and a registered dietitian. That way you'll learn about how to manage diabetes with food choices, exercise, and medication if necessary. The American Diabetes Association has good information for people with Type 2 diabetes here: http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/type-2/?loc=hottopics ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I haven't gotten brave enough to open my diary yet but I'd be happy to chat with you about what I'm doing. My background, I was diagnosed in December so I'm still learning myself. I'm a nurse but it's a whole lot different when you are the patient instead of the caregiver. I take metformin twice a day, reduced my carb intake and am exercising 5-6 days a week.

Just send me a message if you want to chat in more detail.
  • nczuczu
    nczuczu Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    My diary is open and you are welcome to send me a friend request.

I have been a diabetic since right before I turned 40 (8 years ago). I am on Lantus (50 units in morning and 50 units in evening - if no exercise is planned) and on Novolog (sliding scale based on my BG). I was really good about logging my food and activity from January, 2013 - June, 2013 and then kind of "fell off the wagon". I am back at this as of early March and plan to stickto it this time.

I tend to eat what I make for my family, although I usually eat less of the pasta and potatoes that I make. If I make hamburgers/turkey burgers, I don't eat the bun (and don't miss it) or use a light bun or half of bun. I try to add salads or more veggies to the meals. It is not uncommon (when I am being good) to have 2 or 3 veggies cooked. Try experimenting with different ways of cooking veggies. I have a new love for Brussels Sprouts - but they have to be sauteed or roasted (not steamed).

I think just as important as what you eat, exercise is key to getting control of your Blood Glucose. My endocrinologist told me this for years and I didn't listen to him. But last year, when I was really good about exercising and eating healthier, my BG was on the low side. Without exercise - my BG is over 200 in the morning, around 120 at lunch and around 150 at dinner. With exercise - my BG is about 150 or less in the morning, around 100 or lower at lunch and around 120 or lower at dinner.

Do what you can to get some kind of exercise in. It really does make a difference!

Nancy
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I am a Type 2 diabetic. Until last week I was on Lantus and Metformin. As I lost weight I tapered the Lantus down, now I no longer take it. The only medication for the diabetes is 1000mg Metformin in the morning.

I focus on eating lots of protein, and keep my carbs to a moderate level. I don't have 'forbidden' foods. If it fits in my calories and macros for the day, then I will eat it. My diary has the occasional slice of pizza or piece of cheesecake.

I also do cardio daily and strength train 3 times per week. I have found exercise to be key to helping get my blood sugars under control.

My diary is open. Feel free to use it for ideas, but everyone is different. What might work for one person might not work for you.

My diary might look a little strange because I am currently 'reverse dieting.' I lost a lot of weight very quickly, 60lbs in under 5 months. I know that is not sustainable in the long run. I realized I was eating way below my Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) and I want to get to a more reasonable calorie deficit. To do that, I'm adding 100 calories per week until I reach 1800 calories.