Scoobie vs. my Fitbit

Options
Tallbeautie
Tallbeautie Posts: 8 Member
This has been gnawing at me for awhile. First let me give a bit of history.
I tried this whole em2wl approach around this time last year and I did pretty well for a few months but then I fell off the wagon.
I was really never a low cal eater, just an eater. Eating junk is how I got here.
I went to Scooby to figure out my TDEE to get myself back on track. It gave me a TDEE of 2377 for my current height and weight (5'11" / 206lbs and 35yrs old). With a 10% cut and my activity level being light exercise it's telling me to eat around 2139 cals.
I've been eating at 2100ish for about 3 weeks and I have noticed that I'm trimming up, especially my stomach which is always the first thing to go but the scale is going up, clothes still fit snug and I'm not seeing the progress that I saw last time around.
My concern began when I received the fitbit for my bday. Calories burned according to my Fitbit averages around 2500 cals. There are several days that I've reached 2700+ and even 3000+ cals. This is confusing the heck out of me. I just upped my cals today to 2300 cals because I don't want to have too much of a deficit. I'm thinking that my TDEE is higher and I need to eat more. My appetite isn't crazy so I don't crave more food, I actually have a hard time getting to 2100 cals on most days.
I lift heavy 2 days a week and I'm about to up it to 3 days. I do the least amount of cardio possible (maybe an hour a week).
Just need some advise.

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    You don't mention if you are logging your lifting time in MFP as Strength training - because the Fitbit is actually going to be underestimating that calorie burn since it's not step based.

TDEE is probably even higher yet. Except for one thing that can foul it up.

So you workout 1-3 hrs weekly, but is your 40-45 job time really sedentary? Which is what those TDEE tables assume.

So long as you log non-step based stuff in MFP and let it sync over to Fitbit increasing your TDEE correctly, then trust the Fitbit over your guess of 5 rough levels.

Now - why you may not be able to trust the Fitbit yet.

It bases all non-moving time on your BMR, from gender, age, weight, height.

But a more accurate BMR based on bodyfat could be far different and lower. And indeed if sedentary, could be much smaller TDEE than it's estimating.

Also, if gaining weight on 2100 for 3 weeks, but losing fat, you are eating above maintenance or TDEE.

How much have you gained in 3 weeks?
    And what was exact average eating amounts for that time?

You said never a low cal eater, but what level do you think you used to eat prior, and was it the same exercise then?

A minor 10% deficit is also small enough to wipe out with bad food logging, do you weigh all foods and only measure liquids?

The other reason the Fitbit can be off, and that's if you have a suppressed metabolism and maintenance compared to average, it won't know that.

Sure the steps and activity seem about right? Like you don't see a busy 30 min during your drive to work?
  • Tallbeautie
    Tallbeautie Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I don't log any of my activity on MFP. I haven't figured out how to sync my Fitbit to MFP yet. I guess I'll have to look into that.
    I have a desk job, I can barely get in 10,000 steps a day because all I do is sit.
    Not sure how much I've gained over the entire three weeks but I've gained 3lbs from Sunday to Sunday. So 3lbs in a weeks. I was too scared to step on the scale in the beginning. Didn't want to get depressed.
    My average eating has been from 1800-2100 cals.
    I know that I was eating well over 2000 cals before I started changing my eating habits and I wasn't working out.
    I weigh all of my food and measure my liquids. I give myself a break logging on the weekends but I've decided not to do that anymore. I figured not logging on weekends worked the last time around so I wanted to do exactly what I did last time. Not sure if it's a good idea anymore.
    The fitbit does show an increase when I'm working out or doing a lot of running around so it does seem about rights.
    I can't imagine that I'm eating above my TDEE.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    First, TDEE, Total Daily Energy Expenditure, in other words maintenance.

If you are gaining weight outside expected reasons for water weight gain, you are eating more than that.

So 3 lbs in 1 weeks would indeed have to be some water weight, so you were eating in a diet prior to that, or there would have been no glycogen stores to even top off to cause it.
    It could also be some invalid weigh-in days, low water stores first weigh-in, high the second, giving false water weight gain outside true expected water weight gain.

Was each weigh-in morning after a rest day eating normal sodium levels, not sore from last workout?

Don't worry about Syncing Fitbit in that case, because it does mess up manually entered values. You do want to use it to determine best estimate of TDEE, then manually create goal on MFP based on that.

But, on Fitbit site you should indeed go add in your strength training time and use their calorie count to replace what the Fitbit saw - because it didn't see enough.
    That will give better estimate of TDEE, which is why you have it afterall, right.

Then see how the week looks for TDEE.

Good job logging on weekends now, all prior data can be thrown out the window without knowing what was eaten there.
    At least it sounds like not too bad of a deficit, just enough.