Season 4 - Ep. 14 - "The Grove" - 03/16/14

Options
AnaNotBanana
AnaNotBanana Posts: 963 Member
This thread serves as a place to discuss speculation, and then reaction to the 03/09/14 episode

PLEASE REMEMBER TO NOT DISCUSS COMIC BOOK SPOILERS IN EPISODE/SEASON THREADS

Only 3 episodes left of the season!!

AMC Sneak Peek:

http://www.amctv.com/the-walking-dead/videos/sneak-peek-episode-414-the-walking-dead-the-grove

YouTube Promo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Td1ODocJv2w

BONUS SECOND PREVIEW FROM THE TALKING DEAD:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n92WPWH-LMU

Replies

• Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Wow! My jaw dropped. That was such a great, family-friendly way to spend a Sunday evening. :laugh:

That was one creepy little girl. I agree that they had to do it. You couldn't stay with her knowing any second she could make the decision to kill you, so she could take care of you. Poor Carol though..That's a lot of stuff to put on her. I wish Tyreese had offered to do it, but Lizzie was more likely to go into the woods for a talk with Carol I suppose.

I thought for a few seconds that Lizzie was going to pull a gun on Carol when they were standing near the yellow flowers.
  • Aello11
    Aello11 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    One of the better episodes of this half of the season. Such strength in Carol - when will she break... talk about an emotional rollercoaster. We're safe, no we aren't and it is because one of our own and a child at that.

I think Tyrese was able to forgive her because he saw that she does what is needed for the greater good including shooting a very messed up little girl.
  • soaps54
    soaps54 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Can I just say that the little girl that played Lizzie was amazing - she had the psycho-ness down to a T.

Loved this episode, although most had figured out the rat feedings at the prison, still glad to have gotten some answers and resolution.
  • Tiernan1212
    Tiernan1212 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    O...M...G!

What an incredible episode. The two actresses that played those little girls were/are just amazing. Especially Lizzie. I have never liked her character, but damn if her heartbreaking breakdown over killing the walkers didn't get to me. Carol is such an amazing character, and so, so strong. I'm in the same boat as a previous poster, when will it finally be too much for her? She manages to make all the impssible decisions, and does it with little visible emotion.

Also, I kinda hoped that when Lizzie killed Mika that she would have come back and gone after Lizzie. Just so maybe she would have finally understood that you can't actually come back.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm still stunned by that episode.

I figured Tyrese would forgive Carol. I mean, if he didn't, then he would be stuck with caring for Judith on his own or killing her, and in spite of how angry he got over Karen's death, I just don't think he is a killer.

I really wanted them to let Lizzie stay with Mika until she turned also, but then again, it probably wouldn't have convinced her and then they would have two little zombie girls to deal with.

This, in my opinion, was the best performance of the season.
  • dward59
    dward59 Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Absolutely stunned at the end of that episode.

Well written, brilliantly acted. I agree, probably the best episode of the season.

I was afraid Carol was going to confess when walking in the Grove. If she had, I think Tyrese would have killed her in rage. By the time she did, I think he saw her more in the light you all are saying.

I'm really looking forward to the final two episodes of the season, but dreading it being over.
  • _cdngirl71_
    _cdngirl71_ Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I was so stunned when Carol and Tyreese came back and found what Lizzie had done. My jaw dropped. The girl who played Lizzie was a great little actress. I must admit I did cry when Carol had to shoot Lizzie, telling her to just look at the flowers. Was so sad.

Great episode though. I am glad Carol confessed to Tyreese too. I knew he would forgive her.

Can't wait for the last 2 episodes!
  • AnaNotBanana
    Options
    Wow. That's pretty much the only way that I can describe this episode. That being said I think that was the best episode of the second half....if not the whole season. Carol has become such an amazing character. I would have never thought that back in season one.

I don't think anyone of us were surprised that Lizzie was the one feeding the walkers at the prison. I think she might have had some serious mental issues before the **** hit the fan. Mika had said to her on several different occasions to look at the flowers to calm down. Maybe that was something she learned from a therapist before?? Maybe she was schizophrenic also because she told Mika that she heard the zombies talking to her.

My heart broke when I saw what Lizzie did to Mika. I honestly thought that it was going to be Baby Judith that she attacked. Good thing that Tyrese and Carol came back when they did because she did say that she was going to kill Judith too. I think that it was difficult for Carol to deal with Mika because she reminded her too much of Sophia.

I don't think that Carol had a choice in killing Lizzie. They couldn't possibly have her around the baby....she's way too much of a liability. Leaving her to fend for herself would have been too cruel. I think what Carol did was the best way. And Carol's obviously gotten stronger because she couldn't bring herself to kill Sophia once she turned but she knew that she had to do this to Lizzie. I wonder if Lizzie knew it was coming or not? Probably not considering she thought that Carol was mad because she pointed her gun at her....not because she killed her sister.

I'm so relieved that Tyrese was able to forgive Carol. I think that after all that they've gone through he was able to understand that she wasn't being malicious, she was just trying to protect the group. Plus I'm sure he knows that having her there will give him and Baby Judith a better chance to survive. They mentioned on the Talking Dead that the puzzle that was on the table was actually a picture of Sophia in her rainbow shirt. It was something that the director did to add a little bit of extra emotion to the scene. I think it definitely helped. This was a powerful episode.
  • AnaNotBanana
    Options
    Do you think that the smoke that they were seeing was the moonshine shack that Daryl and Beth burned down? It's so frustrating to think that they might be so close to each other yet so far away!!!
  • dward59
    dward59 Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Do you think that the smoke that they were seeing was the moonshine shack that Daryl and Beth burned down? It's so frustrating to think that they might be so close to each other yet so far away!!!

That was my thought initially, and I suppose it could still be. There were walkers attracted to the flames of the house, but my doubt comes from the length of time it burned. It seemed to be several days before the fire went out and it didn't seem to spread from that one spot, if one can assume that from the shots given us during the show. That would have been the only fire they let us in on to crispy up those walkers though.

Another question to await an answer.
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Such an intense and sad episode. The deal with Lizzie has been building up for some time. And earlier in the episode we already saw her lose it..while "playing" with her friend, the walker and then yelling at Carol. At that point I'm sure they were all wondering what they were going to do. Then when she did what she did to Mika...it was obvious this girl was not well and could not be trusted. What else were they going to do. Take her to a psychiatric hospital?? These desperate times call for desperate measures and nobody would be able to sleep with her around. Or leave anyone unattended. Or allow her to have a weapon. They are already stressed day in and day out having to protect themselves from the walkers..let alone a psychotic little girl!

But as this show keeps pointing out...often times the living are more dangerous than the dead!!! At least the dead are predictable.
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    And I'm pretty certain the smoke they saw was from the fire Daryl and Beth set. I think it's a way of showing US that they are all so close and yet so far from each other. They are all coming across signs to that terminus. And on the railroad tracks. I think they are just missing each other at various times of the day..or maybe different days. I mean when they all ran from the prison, the couldn't have gotten that far on foot..and then the terminus signs are re-routing them to eventually end up in the same place...Hopefully!! Though terminus doesn't sound like a great place to be!!! The name makes me nervous! :)
  • AnaNotBanana
    Options
    And I'm pretty certain the smoke they saw was from the fire Daryl and Beth set. I think it's a way of showing US that they are all so close and yet so far from each other. They are all coming across signs to that terminus. And on the railroad tracks. I think they are just missing each other at various times of the day..or maybe different days. I mean when they all ran from the prison, the couldn't have gotten that far on foot..and then the terminus signs are re-routing them to eventually end up in the same place...Hopefully!! Though terminus doesn't sound like a great place to be!!! The name makes me nervous! :)

The one thing that makes me nervous about Terminus is the fact that the preview for next week's episode shows Daryl and the group of thugs on the train tracks as well. I wonder if they're either from Terminus or headed to Terminus.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Options
    I felt one of the adults should have stayed back with the girls. I wouldn't leave baby Judith with two older girls. What if both Carol and Tyrese were injured while they were away from the house. At least leave one adult behind to protect the girls.

I have a feeling Terminus is going to be much worse than Woodbury.
  • Angimom
    Angimom Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options
    I agree with being nervous about terminus, such a weird name. I also think that the fire was definitely the one set by Beth and Daryl, but it is weird that it did not start a forest fire and just put itself out. Also, the Zombie that came out of the house falling over the railing, how did he get past Carol and Tyrese? Was there another door there? I need to rewatch that part, did it open the door? Was it on the porch? and how did the zombie on the tracks walk at first? Did his leg fall off? He was walking, then he was down and it looked like he was missing a leg. And crispy zombies came from the fire, still smoking, that means that Daryl and Beth were super close! UGH, I cannot believe they didn't see the house that Carols group found. I hate that there are only 2 more episodes!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Honestly, my only interest in Terminus is seeing Rick and Carl reunite with Baby Judith.

And given that we all figure that they are in the same general area, does it seem odd to anyone else that everyone is presuming that everyone else is dead and not just wandering around in the same general area as the prison?
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options

That was my thought initially, and I suppose it could still be. There were walkers attracted to the flames of the house, but my doubt comes from the length of time it burned. It seemed to be several days before the fire went out and it didn't seem to spread from that one spot, if one can assume that from the shots given us during the show. That would have been the only fire they let us in on to crispy up those walkers though.

Another question to await an answer.

My first thought was that they were from the fire Darryl and Beth set. Walkers on this show don't bother me at all... Unless they are the crispy kind. :noway:
  • Booksandbeaches
    Options
    I do not believe the group Daryl is with, is from Terminus. I think they are tracking Rick, Carl and Michonne and are headed--perhaps unknowingly--to Terminus.

Interesting. How would that group or the guys that were in the house when Rick was sleeping know about Rick, Carl and Michonne? Did they see R/C/M go away or enter the house? I wondered about that. I wondered if they came to the house specifically looking for Rick and Co.