Feeling a little discouraged...

Options
shutterbabe
shutterbabe Posts: 125 Member
I started Low Carb on the last week of January and for the month of February I was losing weight rapidly. I know thats normal when first starting low carb and I know that a stall is also normal after a bit. But its been four weeks now with NO WEIGHT CHANGE. :( I feel like just eating a huge bowl of chicken alfredo anyway because apparently I'm not losing any weight from NOT eating it. So I'm currently at the point where I'm feeling kinda discouraged and tempted to go back to eating pastas and stuff since I'm not losing any weight anymore. :(

Replies

• Miamiuu
    Miamiuu Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Have you upped your carbs? Perhaps if you lower your carbs again you could start losing weight. There is also another thing that may shock people out of platueas called carb cycling. The way they say it works is you eat low carb a few days then have a high carb day and then eat low carb again and continue to do that.
  • PINKinquisition1908
    PINKinquisition1908 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I totally understand. I have stopped low carbing in the past before due that same thing, but don't sabotage yourself. Hang in there. Also...after initial weight loss calories do count a bit more. You might want to make sure you're still eating a deficit.
  • sunnyeuphoria
    sunnyeuphoria Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Are you still doing induction (eating 22 net carbs a day or less)? If so... make sure that you are measuring or weighing your food... many times people underestimate their portion sizes and you get more carbs than you think. That can stall weight loss. If you have started adding in more carbs... perhaps you have eaten enough to know yourself out of ketosis. Sometimes getting too much protein and not enough fat can make you stop losing. Take a good look at your food diary and see what might be the culprit. On a related note.... a good friend of mine stopped losing, and figured out 3 months later the reason was because there were carbs in the half and half she was using and she was using way more than she thought she was. She eyeballed portions and was getting 15 more net carbs a day than she thought. Another friend was drinking a lot of diet drinks containing aspartame.. and when she cut them out she started losing again. Lots of things to try.... but please don't give in and just eat the alfredo. You are worth all of the hard work you are investing in yourself. It will pay off!!!
  • ALNoog
    ALNoog Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I lost 89 pounds in around 5 1/2 months doing low carb a few years back BUT there was about a month where I lost only about 2 pounds... I almost gave up but kept going and it started falling off again!
  • shutterbabe
    shutterbabe Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the advice and encouragement, I need it. I've been eating around 50 or so net carbs a day, but I'll admit that recently I've stopped caring as much as I usually do because of the discouragement over no weight change. I still havent given in to bread or pastas! But there have been a few days where I've gone up to over a hundred net carbs and a little over calories. I do measure my food a lot of the time as well. The half n half is a good point - I should be more strict on my measurements with that. I do like a lot of cream in my coffee. And I heard that sometimes caffeine can prolong or cause stalls. Maybe I should cut out my coffee? :( I only have maybe a cup or so day.
  • ejdp254
    ejdp254 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I've had exactly the same happen and it's easier to give up than carry on but just believe in yourself, you're doing great and the weight will start to drop again:flowerforyou:
  • ALNoog
    ALNoog Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the advice and encouragement, I need it. I've been eating around 50 or so net carbs a day, but I'll admit that recently I've stopped caring as much as I usually do because of the discouragement over no weight change. I still havent given in to bread or pastas! But there have been a few days where I've gone up to over a hundred net carbs and a little over calories. I do measure my food a lot of the time as well. The half n half is a good point - I should be more strict on my measurements with that. I do like a lot of cream in my coffee. And I heard that sometimes caffeine can prolong or cause stalls. Maybe I should cut out my coffee? :( I only have maybe a cup or so day.

I never cut out caffeine :) I'm pretty sure I'd murder someone if I did but I did notice if I had too much dairy (and that is still really small amounts compares to normal) that it stalled me and I had to quit any cheeses and cream for a while. And also a few months in any intricate recipes stalled me.. Such as the casseroles and crust less quiches and such.
    On the days you up your carbs are you still eating foods they are allowed and how often do you do those days? They throw me completely off for a few weeks when I do them while my body plays catch up.
  • Citrislazer
    Citrislazer Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Our bodies keep better diaries than we do. Like those above, I would 1st suspect diet. Not all food labels are accurate either, and the more processed a food is, the more likely it will be inaccurate. Food manufacturers are allowed a 20% margin of error on their food labels. A food scale is really the only way to ensure you're eating the amount you think you are. Measuring cups and spoons are not very accurate either.

And like ALNoog, I wouldn't suspect caffeine at 1st either. I would try other options first, but you never know until you try.

Whatever you do, do not give up. You have the ability to lose the weight. Everyone's body is different and can react differently to food. Experiment and find what your body likes. You CAN do this! :drinker: