What do you have your daily calories set at?

Options
kittyneutron
kittyneutron Posts: 160 Member
I just automatically went for 1300 calories because that's what I've always done, but found out that was a bit too crazy to begin with (almost a 900 calorie per day deficit).

After calculating my BMR, and then calculating my daily needs, I learned that I needed 2000 calories to maintain my current weight. Based on that, I made a 20% deficit and am currently at 1500 which is decent, but I'm going to see how it goes.

What about the rest of you?

Replies

• hfaze
    hfaze Posts: 3
    Options
    I've always read that calories don't count as much on keto - I never tracked them before I started to on here. Mine are set at 2000 but I usually end the day around 2500.
  • kittyneutron
    Options
    No, you're right, they don't count as much, but they do count!

I don't follow it religiously but I do try to keep to it now in the starting phases. Plus I think it depends a lot how much you have to lose, gender, and a few other variables ;)
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    1453 ...that's TDEE -20%
  • kittyneutron
    Options
    1453 ...that's TDEE -20%

How's that going for you?
  • Booksandbeaches
    Options
    Really well. I feel full on a keto 1453 calories vs. calorie counting. I've lost about 9 pounds in 3 weeks. I have another 14 more to go.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    Really well. I feel full on a keto 1453 calories vs. calorie counting. I've lost about 9 pounds in 3 weeks. I have another 14 more to go.

Totally. When I was in ketosis I was running about 1400 - 1600 / day with no problems, either. I'm a 6'3 guy, and I wasn't hungry, but did lose 60 lbs in five months.

I'm so happy to see that you're doing it the right way, and that it's working so well for you. Have a great day!
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Based on my calorie logs and rate of weight loss, I estimate that my BMR is roughly around 2,500 calories. Using the best estimate for my body fat %, my max deficit until my next goal (76kg) would be 924 calories. That makes my daily minimum 1,576 calories. Round up a little for better numbers, and I get to 1,650 calories a day.

That's my minimum. I try to never come in under that unless I am really stuffed. And, I make sure to never come in under that amount more than 2 days in a week. As for going over that, if I am not too hungry, I aim to be within a couple hundred calories of my goal. If I am really hungry, I eat. I don't worry about having a top cut-off. A couple months ago, I had a day that was over 3,600 calories. I log it all.

I keep things pretty loose as long as I am under 30g of carbs and am hitting my macro percents ( >65% fat / <30% protein) for the rest of it. The only hard and fast rule is that I get above that calorie line.

Edit: My long-term average calories is around 1,830 calories/day and my weight loss is about 0.62kg week. This is where I get my 2,500 calorie/day estimate. As I am happy with that rate of loss, I see no reason to change anything. I am never hungry (and if I am hungry, I eat). I feel great. My body is slowly moving towards a healthy weight, and I am in no rush.
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options
    I follow simple rule, eat till your full and stop when you are full. I don't count calories, but I track them. MFP wanted me to eat 1450 cals to lose 1.5 lbs per week. I ate way more than that and lost lot more than 1.5lbs a week. When I got my metabolic tests done, my RMR was 400 cals more than what these formulas on the internet told me to eat. I lost around 30 lbs of fat (as measured by bod pod), 10 inches of waist in 12 weeks, while gaining ton of muscle all by listening to my body.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I follow simple rule, eat till your full and stop when you are full. I don't count calories, but I track them. MFP wanted me to eat 1450 cals to lose 1.5 lbs per week. I ate way more than that and lost lot more than 1.5lbs a week. When I got my metabolic tests done, my RMR was 400 cals more than what these formulas on the internet told me to eat. I lost around 30 lbs of fat (as measured by bod pod), 10 inches of waist in 12 weeks, while gaining ton of muscle all by listening to my body.
    I'm pretty similar - I eat considerably more than MFP wants me to and lose weight consistently. Typically I eat anywhere between 2300 and 3500 calories, depending on my exercise levels - at least while cutting (right now I'm working on getting to just under 10% bodyfat).
  • kittyneutron
    Options
    I keep things pretty loose as long as I am under 30g of carbs and am hitting my macro percents ( >65% fat / <30% protein) for the rest of it. The only hard and fast rule is that I get above that calorie line.

Edit: My long-term average calories is around 1,830 calories/day and my weight loss is about 0.62kg week. This is where I get my 2,500 calorie/day estimate. As I am happy with that rate of loss, I see no reason to change anything. I am never hungry (and if I am hungry, I eat). I feel great. My body is slowly moving towards a healthy weight, and I am in no rush.

Yep, I'm with you there. I also feel happy with the rate of loss so far and there's no reason to change anything. I definitely eat when I'm hungry, but interestingly the mindless snacking is a total thing of the past.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Options

Yep, I'm with you there. I also feel happy with the rate of loss so far and there's no reason to change anything. I definitely eat when I'm hungry, but interestingly the mindless snacking is a total thing of the past.

That's one of the best things for me about keto. I have a real handle on snacks, cravings and portion sizes. Because I don't feel intense cravings now, I can just eat what I need to for my macros. I can pass up things that before I had no willpower to resist. It's a very liberating feeling to not be hostage to the cravings.
  • kittyneutron
    Options
    That's one of the best things for me about keto. I have a real handle on snacks, cravings and portion sizes. Because I don't feel intense cravings now, I can just eat what I need to for my macros. I can pass up things that before I had no willpower to resist. It's a very liberating feeling to not be hostage to the cravings.

About a month ago I would have been astonished that I could ever have been free from my Coke addiction. I mean, I woke up in the morning and was practically ready to hook myself up to a Coke IV. Then after chugging one of those, a nice cinnamon roll or two...great way to start the morning!

I'm basically just thankful for being liberated from that alone. Doing keto has made it possible to end the food obsession, and instead start looking at food in a much more healthy way: as fuel for the body. And I know not everyone loves being in the kitchen, but I've really enjoyed searching for new recipes, and finding delicious things to make.
    Options
    I'm pretty similar - I eat considerably more than MFP wants me to and lose weight consistently. Typically I eat anywhere between 2300 and 3500 calories, depending on my exercise levels - at least while cutting (right now I'm working on getting to just under 10% bodyfat).

That's awesome progress to get under 10% BF. I am targeting the same. It's surprising how fast you can lose fat if you listen to your body along with workouts.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    That's awesome progress to get under 10% BF. I am targeting the same. It's surprising how fast you can lose fat if you listen to your body along with workouts.
    I've simply found that as long as I'm under 15% my blood glucose level remain well-controlled. Once I get above 15%, my insulin-sensitivity starts to disappear and my A1c starts creeping up unless I drop my carbohydrate intake dramatically. And if I drop it dramatically I can't fuel my workouts ...

So when I'm trying to build muscle I will: 1) eat a surplus, 2) increase my protein to closer to 30% and; 3) increase bodyfat to about 15% while doing more serious strength training. Once I hit 15% bodyfat I'm done, and diet back down to maintain it a while. If I'm lucky I put on a pound of mass each cycle. I do this 2 - 3x a year.

My overall goal is to increase lean mass to where I'm 10% bodyfat at 210lbs. It'll take me another couple years, but it's what I'm working toward.
  • shannonlee337
    Options
    That's pretty close to what mine figured to as well. FP says I'll lose 1.1 lb a week. Have you found their estimates to be accurate as far as weight loss goes? To get FP to tell me I'll lose any more than 1.1-1.4 lbs a week I would have to consume so few calories, I don't know how I could do it. So I'm curious of others that report 2-4 lb weight loss in a week. Thoughts?
    Options
    That's pretty close to what mine figured to as well. FP says I'll lose 1.1 lb a week. Have you found their estimates to be accurate as far as weight loss goes? To get FP to tell me I'll lose any more than 1.1-1.4 lbs a week I would have to consume so few calories, I don't know how I could do it. So I'm curious of others that report 2-4 lb weight loss in a week. Thoughts?

MFP told me to eat 1400-1500 cals to lose 1.5 lbs every week. I listened to my body and ate when I was hungry till I was full. I ate way more when I started leto but most of the days I ended up with 2200-2500 cals, lost almost 2-3 lbs of fat a week. These formulas on the internet is just a wild guess, if you want to know the exact number, get your RMR measured/tested.
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Before starting keto in March I always had my calories sent to 1200. About a week into doing keto I upped my calories to 1500 and that's where I'm at now.

In the last six weeks I've totally changed how I look at food. I used to eat a lot of garbage, potato chips, candy & fast food. Now I eat real food that I cook at home. No more snacking at night before bed. Overall it's definitely the best diet for me
  • shannonlee337
    Options
    Thanks. I'm a bit discouraged, keto for over a month but paying much closer attention to macros in the last two weeks and no weight loss at all. I used several keto calculators and they were almost all identical with my numbers which are supposed to be the following:

---
    *Generated by [Keto Calculator](http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com) 7.3*

41/F/5'3" | CW 166.2 | 35% BF | Moderately active

* 1613 kcal Goal, a 25% deficit. (741 min, 2150 max)
    * 25g Carbohydrates
    * 85g Protein (65g min, 108g max)
    * 130g Fat (34g min, 190g max)

I lift weights for 60 min M-F. I do a diff muscle group each day. I've been lifting like that for several months. I went Paleo in January and lost the 8lbs doing that. Switched to Keto and weight loss basically stopped. Any thoughts/tips are appreciated.
    Options
    What about measurements?
  • hasta_la_vista_belly
    Options
    Depending on activity level, its anywhere from 1600-1800. Typical weekdays being mid 1700's.