Macros and weight loss

Options
tamred69
tamred69 Posts: 130 Member
So I looked at the article posted on Thyroid Diet Secrets http://thyroid.about.com/cs/dietweightloss/a/eatingenough.htm and for thyroid patients it reccommends 40% of the diet from protein for weight loss. I eat lots of high protein things, and I can't get close to 145 gm or so a day that My Fitness Pal come up with for me based on my caloric intake. One day I even had a 2 eggs/2 egg whites, milk, greek yogurt, a protein shake, fish for lunch and chicken for dinner and I still didn't make it. Any of you have success with this approach? How were/are you able to consume near enought protein?

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I lost weight by following the MFP defaults. I use the protein & fiber goals as minimums, and ignore fats & carbs.

Everybody's different, and it will take trial & error to find what works for you.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • allergictodiets
    allergictodiets Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I struggle with it as well. I usually manage to get 25-30% of calories in my diet from protein. I do not really enjoy eating meat ( i.e. can't force myself to have more than one portion a day ) so I use whey protein powder and yogurt.
  • tamred69
    tamred69 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I struggle with it as well. I usually manage to get 25-30% of calories in my diet from protein. I do not really enjoy eating meat ( i.e. can't force myself to have more than one portion a day ) so I use whey protein powder and yogurt.

Yes, I am not a huge consumer of meat either, but that seems to be the onlly thing you can eat that is pure protein without lots of carbs and fat in addition to the protein.
  • allergictodiets
    allergictodiets Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am not a huge consumer of meat either, but that seems to be the onlly thing you can eat that is pure protein without lots of carbs and fat in addition to the protein.

So true. Greek yoghurt has more protein than a normal one but unfortunately where I live I can't buy a low fat version anymore :-(
  • ultrafishboy
    ultrafishboy Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this also. Don't even come close to protein macro grams. I'm very aware and cognizant of trying to get more protein in my meals, but just can't seem to get there. I like meat, but the calories associated with it make it difficult to remain calorie deficient (primary goal) and hit macro (secondary goal). In time, I think it will come!
  • myfairylight
    myfairylight Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am trying to achieve 30% protein in my plan. It was nearly impossible to hit this amount but I've included whey protein, cottage cheese and seafood (mussels, clams, shrimps etc.) to my diet. Now, it easier to get ca. 100-110 grams of protein daily. I am trying to keep my intake not higher than 1450 calories, but I can not do this everyday.
    If you like seafood and cottage cheese, you may try them.