Carbs and fibers on Keto

Options
snoopyjet
snoopyjet Posts: 82 Member
So, I've been reading a lot regarding net carbs and substracting fibers from all carbs and so on while on Keto.
I would like to now what do fellow Keto-ers do and think about that?

I must say I'm a bit confused and I really don't know what to think anymore with all the different info.

Anyway I eat a lot of green veggies and avocados and if I don't substract fiber I'm quickly on 30-35g with carbs per day.

I would apppreciate some insight?

Replies

• rlengland2014
    rlengland2014 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Some people do net, some don't. Me, I do net carbs because I just can't get below 20 any other way. I eat too many veggies, which my doc isn't happy about, but I'm still in ketosis..:)
  • dperri471
    dperri471 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I always use net carbs which has kept me in ketosis so far. You could always experiment and see if one or the other knocks you out of ketosis
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options
    I go as high as 60g of carbs with 35 g of those coming from fiber. I usually stay under 30 net grams and 60 grams total carbs. On the days of my long runs of more than 1.5 hrs, I can stay in ketosis even at 100 g of carbs.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I have yet to hear a convincing or even educated reason not to use net carbs. Some people will debate the benefits of fiber but I wouldn't let fiber scare you away from eating vegetables.
  • Skoster1
    Skoster1 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    If I try to subtract fiber I can't really use the MFP amounts for tracking since it would change based on the higher carb allowance. So what I'm considering is just ignoring the trace carbs I get from things like spices and splenda (I can't get many sugar substitutes here, and I'm not sure if Amazon will ship them to an APO). I figure that way I'm filling in my net carbs (probably not entirely) but still able to use the goal numbers I have in MFP.

As to your original question, use net or gross carbs, I think it probably just depends on your macros and whether you're in ketosis on gross. If so, just go with it since it's easier would be my thought. I don't concern myself much because (although still waiting on ketostix) I am positive I'm eating low enough carb to pretty well ignore the difference. I'm at 23g of carbs for my goal (7% of my total macro goals) and I'm often under. If I were in the 50-60 gram range I might be more inclined to be more particular.
  • snoopyjet
    snoopyjet Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Thank you all, I will watch not to go too much over 30-40g carbs total overall and see how it works.
    It's been a week after my "carb slip" and the ketostix still don't show ketosis. :(

I know, I have to be patient and they aren't accurate :)

Maybe I should cut off completely artificial sweeteners, chewing gums?
    And even maybe reduce nuts and dairy?
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    The only reason to go with gross carbs is if you're getting your carbs from bad sources (i.e., simple sugars, processed foods). It seems to me that those spike blood sugar more and can push me out of ketosis. If I'm eating veggies, then I can look at the net, which is much easier to manage.
  • blablues
    blablues Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I've always used net carbs, and it works very well for me. My first two weeks on the keto diet I had 20-35 net carbs per day, and that was 34-50 regular carb count. And that got me into successfully into ketosis. I've been on keto since July 2013.

As for ketostix - they aren't the most accurate way to measure ketones since the readings vary based on how hydrated you are. Blood ketone monitors (like the Precision Xtra, which is what I use) is the most accurate way to test at home. Aside from hydration, the ketostix only measure one type of ketones, and there are two types. The second type of ketones becomes more prevalent as you are in ketosis longer, so the ketostix just become less accurate over time.

Fiber may or may not get absorbed into the body depending upon whether it soluble or insoluble, but regardless of absorption, it doesn't affect blood sugar - and so does not effect ketones. I find I get more fiber on keto than I did previously because I deliberately go for the fiber rich veges/fruits, like broccoli and raspberries.
  • lrmall01
    lrmall01 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    If I try to subtract fiber I can't really use the MFP amounts for tracking since it would change based on the higher carb allowance.

Good info if you want to make MFP more keto friendly.

http://cavemanketo.com/configuring-mfp/
  • Skoster1
    Skoster1 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    If I try to subtract fiber I can't really use the MFP amounts for tracking since it would change based on the higher carb allowance.

Good info if you want to make MFP more keto friendly.

http://cavemanketo.com/configuring-mfp/

Thanks! I wish it allowed me to set my net carb goal in place of my carb goal, but it's definitely a step up from the basics.
  • FXOjafar
    FXOjafar Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Everything in Australia is labelled net carbs anyway so that's what I use.