Surgery on Wednesday

Options
Hi everybody! My surgery is scheduled for Wednesday at 7:30 AM. I'm a bit nervous, but doing lots of research and the fact I've stayed on this pre-surgery 700 cal/day diet for two weeks gives me some confidence. I know this is a marathon, not a sprint, so I'm looking and thinking long term health and fitness. I'm a schoolteacher, and my biggest worry is wondering how long I'll be away from my classroom. I look forward to checking in with everyone as we are all progressing.

Replies

• don666car
    don666car Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    BEST WISHES IT WAS THE BEST THING I EVER DID FIRST 3-6 MTHS A LITTLE TUFF BUT GETS EASIER WITH TIME FEEL FREE TO ADD ME AND IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTION ASK AWAY I LOOK AT MY SURGERY DATE AS MY NEW BIRTHDAY OCT 31 2011
  • Tristaan
    Tristaan Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Best of luck to you! First few days are less than fun, but you'll be amazed how much better you'll feel from week to week. :)
  • minibandit
    Options
    Best of luck to you! First few days are less than fun, but you'll be amazed how much better you'll feel from week to week. :)
    This ^ Very much so! Good luck xx
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Good luck. Let us know how things are going.
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Best of luck to you and congratulations on your new healthy life! Follow you doc's instructions, walk often and as soon as you can and stay hydrated! Best decision I ever made for myself!
  • risskie
    risskie Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    OH BEST of LUCK! I remember that week leading up, the night before and that very day like it was yesterday - the days to follow are a distant memory! The lead up to the big day was all that mattered to me. The excitement was immeasurable. That excitement blurred most of what followed.... I only knew my life was starting over and I was going to make the best of everything.

We'll be eagerly waiting for updates! Our thoughts are with you as you prepare! :drinker:
  • csmccord
    csmccord Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    First 2 or 3 months is the worst. Follow your medical teams instructions and take it day by day. The most important thing to remember is SIP SIP SIP! Keep sipping that water. Many a recent post-op patient has ended up in the ER with severe hydration. Make sure you have a water bottle with you at all times!
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Congrats, this is such an exciting time for you! I am almost 6 months out now from sleeve surgery. I have been super lucky, my recovery went smoothly, no pain or problems, and no problems with any food. Hopefully it will be smooth sailing for you too!!
  • elfram2
    elfram2 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    So how did the everything go. Hopefully very well.
  • sandirobertson
    Options
    Ten days after surgery--adjusting well, walking a lot, and can't wait to banish protein shakes from my diet.
  • csmccord
    csmccord Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes don't have to be bad. I still have protein powder in my diet on almost a daily basis and I'm 19 months post-op. The plan my medical team had me do didn't have me completely off of them until about 12 months post surgery. Now, I eat protein supplements to help keep my protein counts up at about 150 gm a day due to my exercise load.

There is so much more you can do with protein powder. I make oatmeal, ice cream, homemade protein bars (essentially baked oatmeal with protein powder in it). Even with shakes you can do different things. You don't need to eat them plain.

My two favorites were chocolate protein with some PB2 (powdered peanut butter) and half a frozen banana. Or vanilla with sugar-free strawberry syrup half a frozen banana a few frozen strawberries.

I have tried many brands of protein, and found Max Protein from SEI to be the best tasting. I also routine eat Quest bars as well. My favorite of those is the White Chocolate Raspberry.

So, maybe try these things to jazz up your protein shakes once you get to the puree stage. Should be soon, I was only on liquids for 2 weeks with my RNY.

Torani SF syrups - http://shop.torani.com/Sugar-Free-Syrups/c/Torani@SugarFreeSyrups

SEI Protein - http://www.seinutrition.com/categories/Protein/