in need of desperate help!!

Options
hdheicf
hdheicf Posts: 6 Member
Hi,
recently, i felt like I've been losing control over my diet. Over this one week, I've ran to convenience stores numerous times just to get an ice cream bar, a bag of chips and over junk food. and i will eat all of them at one go. then i'll start feeling really guilty but i cant stop eating. i have to urge to keep eating despite feeling stuffed. how can i stop this? i really want to lose weight but constantly thinking about food and spending money on these junks are not going to help. i really need help!! can someone help me get out of this vicious cycle!!

Replies

• lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I wish I had an answer for you. I've been experiencing the same thing. I find pre-logging up to a week in advance helps - that way I know what I *can* eat and it takes the thought out of it. Tea and low cal soups seem to help me too when I get those cravings. I also keep a log of binge vs. non-binge days. But, as I said, for the last week, I've also been struggling...
  • hdheicf
    hdheicf Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I tried pre logging my foods for the week but it did not help at all. Recently it has become worse. I could have like 3 donuts, a croissant, a cheesecake for breakfast and lunch and dinner would be more of such sugary junk. I've gained like 11 pounds in 6 days because of the binging. I feel really terrible and breathless. And feel like my stamina has gotten worse. I'm afraid that i will have diabetes from this excessive consumption of sugary products!
    98777 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I think this is happening because you are having a flare up of psychological symptoms.

You MUST confront the psychological symptoms (depression, anxiety...?) if you are to fix these issues. Use coping strategies.

Breathe, listen to music, exercise, laugh, do something you love.

I could very well be wrong, but at least give this a shot. You can change your habits back. Just relax. You can do it.
  • ct320
    ct320 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Hey Ive been struggling a lot lately too :(
    Ive tried loads of things - wish I had a "one size fits all" answer for you but unfortunately not, just a few things to try.

setting your goal for maintenace for the time being (if you were set to defecit) - this is what I am currently doing and am 2 days binge free so far :) and I think (hopefully) I may still lose if I dont eat back any exercise cals.

dont hang up on the guilt of a binge it will make you upset and the cycle continues, instead tell yourself something positive to cheer yourself this sounds really cheesy but does help.

have breakfast and eat regularly the less "real" hunger you feel the less urge you have to binge (most of the time)

chewing gum and drinking water can help distract when you are determined not to eat something

Have healthy snacks to take with you to help stop you impulse buying while out and about

Get the 1st day over with (always the hardest) and the happiness and acheivment you feel will spur you on.

Hope some of these help I really understand how hard it is I'm having the same battle and have had problems with eating in different ways for years on and off and if you need anyone to talk to feel free to add me I find having someone who understands and to be accountable to very helpful too

good luck x
  • melmckay99
    melmckay99 Posts: 358
    Options
    I've started going to overeaters anonymous meetings:
    http://www.oa.org/

See if they have any in your area. It's not for everyone, but if you have an open mind it's totally worth it. I know it seems a bit religious-y cause they do talk about a higher power, but they leave that idea open to whatever you want it to be. For some it's God as portrayed in the bible and that's great that people are able to believe in that. I don't think I will ever believe in a God this way. For me its more like finding peace within myself. If I can shut off that internal voice that argues with myself about what to do (i.e. binge or don't binge? / eat or don't eat? eat a litte or eat alot? eat this or eat that? have a snack or don't have a snack?...the questions go on and on for me and rarely turn off!!) then my mind eases, I feel happy and ultimately in a state of acceptance of myself. These meetings are really showing me a whole new aspect of life and who I am at the core...it's more then just about the food, that's for sure.

I have not been going to these meetings for very long (twice a week for about 3 weeks now) but the people I have met are absolutely incredible. It totally makes me feel like I am not alone in this and that I can come out of hiding from my binging and over-earting. I am being more honest with myself and plan to eventualyl become more honest with my loved ones (I hide all my binging from my SO).

it's worth a try...or not.... it's all up to you really but I truly do hope that you find a path that is right for you and that you overcome this before it it overcomes you.

best of luck :)