I'm starting stage 1!

Options

Replies

• ripzone13
    ripzone13 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Hey hey! May i join this group of beginners too? I just completed B1...I'm workingo out at the gym as well, and a long with a few of you other gals am feeling kinda nervous using the weights. I'm sure with time that will go away! Just upped my calories to 2000, and trying to figure out a good balance between lifitng and cardio...
  • mayaysf
    mayaysf Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Hi girls, welcome all new lifters! tomorrow is my first B workout at the gym and im nervous, havent tried the deadlifts yet so thats gonna take me a bit to figure out. let's see...
    the preloaded bar is a set of bars they have with the weights attached. u cant add or remove the plates, and the plates are usually small in size, not the standard big plates (u can tell is my first time at the weight lifting area hehe)
    Before i couldnt make even 1 push up, but i guess insanity worked, coz now i can do them just fine. the max plyo workouts is a full hour of every kind of push ups basically, and i did like some of them. who would have thought? i specially loved the squat push ups (probably was doing it wrong coz i really really liked them)
    upping my calories is a struggle, actually just reaching my maintenance goal is a struggle, im always below my numbers, i added protein shakes to try and reach my cals and macros and nothing. i feel like im eating all day, and i stay full forever, any ideas are welcome, i know i will need to reach at least 1600cal on lifting days and im not even close.
  • catdevrandom
    Options
    Hello again!

So yesterday was my A2 workout. First time with the real Olympic barbell for the squats! Thankfully the staff from the gym was really helpful and nice and the gym was completely empty!

So, this is how it went:
    Squats 8kg + 22kg bar (17lb + 45lb bar) - 15 reps
    Pushups 45 degrees - 15 reps
    Cable row 25kg (55lbs) -15 reps
    Step ups 2x8kg (35lb) dumbells, on two steps - 15 reps
    Prone jackknife - 15 reps

Prone jacknife feels a bit easy, so maybe I should change to the next one in the progression for next time...

Cheers!
  • stripeytrousers
    Options
    Hi All,

I'm hoping to join in! :-)

I received my NROLFW book this week and i'm ready to do this!! I go to a David Lloyd gym and the weight area is full of men moaning and groaning, so I might book an appointment with a PT to show me how to do some of the moves and then I can come before work and do it. When I've done the moves once I won't mind going in there with other people, I just dont want to do it all wrong and everyone be watching me (im sure this doesn't happen but you know!).

I'm really excited to get started and am going to print off my spreadsheet now!
  • mnsmov15
    mnsmov15 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Welcome @ripzone13 , @stripeytrouse
    Feel free to chime in - We are all pretty much within week 1 or 2 of the workouts and I am glad we are quite a number of people in the same stage.

I am trying to lose weight, so figuring out calorie balance has been tough.

@mayaysf May be you can try adding high calorie density items to help you with your calories. If you are full and don't feel tired, don't force yourself to eat much. Increase slowly.
    Try unsalted nuts, use coconut/olive oil and avacado in salad /smoothie etc. That helps me. But I dont have trouble eating - I have trouble stopping :P
  • sunshinelively
    sunshinelively Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

I'm hoping to join in! :-)

I received my NROLFW book this week and i'm ready to do this!! I go to a David Lloyd gym and the weight area is full of men moaning and groaning, so I might book an appointment with a PT to show me how to do some of the moves and then I can come before work and do it. When I've done the moves once I won't mind going in there with other people, I just dont want to do it all wrong and everyone be watching me (im sure this doesn't happen but you know!).

I'm really excited to get started and am going to print off my spreadsheet now!

feel the same way. and have the personal trainer appt tonight to do the same (in the dreaded "men's" area of the gym!) hopefully goes ok!
  • mayaysf
    mayaysf Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I had my first B workout at the gym. Luckily this morning (6:30am) it was almost empty. I was a bit like a headless chicken with the whole going here, I don't know why, but this workout I was all over the place. I guess I need to get more familiar with the gym layout, I felt I was wasting time going from a place to the next, I'm thinking to do a little tryout this sunday to better organize myself there.

@mnsmov... thanks for the advice. I do love avocado, like I could eat every day in every meal. So i'll try to incorporate it more in my meals. As for the unsalted nuts, I just don't like them :( only like the salted ones. I still bought a big pack and I have it home, but I have a feeling that it will take me FOREVER to finish it.

And @stripey and @sunshine... I know how you feel. I didn't have any PT appointment when I started, I'm on my 3rd time only going to the mostly guys gym. My first time I went in with my cousin, paper in hand, nervous as you can imagine, but trying to pretend I knew what I was doing (to convince my cousin to start with me and so I didn't embarrass myself). Turns out, I had no idea what I was doing, everybody noticed it but they just jumped to help me so it was a great experience, it wasn't that full of pple, so it was a good experience. For my first A workout at the gym, it was almost empty, I walked in as if I knew what I was doing. The guys face was priceless :noway: ... today I went for my first B workout, I didn't do a tryout first so this time again I didn't know what I was doing, still don't... but I walked right in, when from area to area, and didn't even show how nervous I was with this new workout, but in my head I was like: :embarassed: ....

Wont even give it a 2nd thought, I'll go either tomorrow night or sunday morning when it should be empty again and try to figure out how to work better with the layout, save me some time, and figure out the weights and all.

Saturday morning I have my A2 workout and I feel confident already. So just jump right into it, you'll probably make a mess out of yourself once but nobody will notice, or care, and like me, they'll try to help you probably.
  • stripeytrousers
    Options
    Thanks everyone - will be great to have each other for support!

@sunshinelively - let us know how your session goes!

I might aim for Sunday evening as it's normally empty then, can try and find out where different pieces of equipment are and get used to it! Now just to wean myself off spin classes...

I'm currently eating 1700kcals and not eating back my calories (5ft 11 and now 158lbs), this is based on roughly 20% of my TDEE, so I might need to have a play around with this number.
  • twinmom823
    twinmom823 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Lovin' all the women doing this together!!

I just did workout A2~ Stayed at 95# Squats and went lower with better form than last time :) Upped to 75# rows and pushups went lower.
    Step ups were still tough with 30# and my knee was bothering me. Hope to go up in weights for A3.

I am getting sore and loving it!

My weight has gone up 2# tho! i don't know if it's water retention or if I added too many calories too soon. I'll figure it out cuz my pants are fitting better...Can't wait for more changes!!!
  • Trundlegate
    Trundlegate Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Workout 5 of the B section.Pleased to be adding more weight to most of the lifts. Still hate lunges and dumbbell shoulder presses.
    Thinking I might sneak in a weekend (sunday) workout this week. I always feel like I can do more. Not sure if this is because I enjoy it or because I am genuinely not tired (I suspect more of the former!)

Have a great weekend all.

:smile:
  • mnsmov15
    Options
    @Trundlegate -Good going!

I completed my 2nd week. I dont see any noticeable changes so far in my body. This is TOM week and this is also the week when I did this workout 3X - So may be next week :)

Workout A3 today.
    I could have gone up in Squats weight, but we dont have a squat rack @ our office gym, so did the same weight today. Next time will switch to heavier dumbbells may be.
    Incline push ups were a bit easier than last week
    I went to 85lb in seated rows and v happy compared to 70lb last week.

I increased 2 more risers on the steps for the step up with 15lb * 2 dumbbells.
    Jackknifes were somehow more difficult this week - may be I was a bit tired doing it the 3rd time.

But this week also, I could not do any cardio at all during my rest days. Regular sedentary office work. From next week. I really want to add 2X at least 20 mins cardio during my non lifting days

Have a good weekend everyone!
  • catdevrandom
    Options
    @Trundlegate, I hear you on hating the lunges! I did B2 today and I couldn't for the life of me do them properly while stepping forward - the knee kept passing in front of the feet. I also lose balance when I do it with the dumbbells. So I did them static with the weights and practiced the movement with just body weight. Maybe next time I'll try stepping back instead...

Here's how it went:

Deadlift with dumbbells - 2x12kg/15 reps
    Shoulder Press - 2x2kg/20 reps (the next weight is 4kg, too much for me!)
    Lat Pulldown - 30kg/15reps (tried 35kg, managed to do only 9 reps...)
    Lunges - static, 2x6kg/15 reps
    Ball crunches - I tried extending the arms holding a 4kg dumbbell, did 15 reps

Have a nice weekend, all! :)
  • twinmom823
    twinmom823 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Great job everyone!!! I just complete B2~ Deadlift 95#, definitely felt my form was better and I'm ready to up the weight. Shoulder press 20# dumbbells and Lat pulldown 75#~ Ready to go up in weight on those also! Lunges always suck, I step backwards instead of forwards because it helps with my core balance and is easier on the knees (just a tip!) I held 20# dumbbells and did the Swiss crunch with arms extended 10# med ball 15 reps.

Also had an NSV~ I was able to fit into 2 dresses that I had to squeeze into last summer~ WOOO! Bye bye mommy belly!

Have a great and healthy weekend :)
  • catdevrandom
    Options
    @twinmom823 Woohoo, awesome!!! Congrats! :D:D:D I'm definitely following your tip of the step backwards in the lunge, but I'll keep practicing the step forward with just bodyweight to see if my balance gets any better...

I took some "before" pics today. Ouch, that hurt... Hoping to be able to look back with relief in a few weeks!

Good weekend, everyone!
  • Pudding1980
    Pudding1980 Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I would like to join in, if that's okay. I just finished reading the book and am thinking of starting this program this week; I just need to figure out how I am going to work in some cardio (usually treadmill and spinning) as I enjoy that and don't want to skip it completely. Are most of you doing two or three workouts of lifting a week? I'm not new to lifting - I usually do it three times a week - but usually lighter so I am thinking of maybe doing the New Rules twice a week as it will be a lot harder.

I am too scared to venture into the big weight/machine room at the gym so for now I am going to try this all out in the women's only area and modify as needed (ex. No machines or cables in there). Maybe once I gain confidence I will get into the other room!

I have almost reached my halfway goal to lose 20 pounds - I have lost 18.8 and hoping for another 20 for a total of 40) and think this will help re motivate me :)
  • sunshinelively
    sunshinelively Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    ^you sound exactly like me! 19 lb to go, lifting weights in womens section of gym and nervous to try free weight section, wanting to keep up w cardio 3x a week, and just starting NROL4W. I've done 2 workouts so far, heading out for the 3rd this morning. Keeping cardio 2x a week and eating back those cals. As a mostly vegan, trying to figure out how to get enough protein, too. Have to make appt w PT thinking he can show me the ropes in the free weight gym. If I can get the guy to txt me back - sheesh!
  • mnsmov15
    Options
    @Pudding1980 You are not far away from me :) I am in the same boat
    I am used to running 3X and body weight workouts. Now, from Monday will be doing NROLFW 3rd week. Was not able to do any cardio at all on the non lifting days as I was too tired and sore from the workouts. Tried 30 mins running/walking the first week. Planning to get back on cardio too 2X from next week.

@sunshinelivel , I hear ya! I am a vegetarian and its tough to increase protein without going over in carbs and keep variety. I am relying on protein powders at the moment.

And Yes, ditto on weights. I carry the oly bar and weights to the room where the classes are held in the off time. But find using the machines ok somehow. Cannot muster the courage yet to go to guys area to pick up some heavy dumbbells or squat and grunt with them :) I try to go during lean times and manage to get in my workouts

And I have 10 more lbs to go, so my motive is to lose weight too not just shape and tone.
  • Pudding1980
    Pudding1980 Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Well, I am even more like the two of you than you already think because I'm a vegetarian too :) and definitely share in your struggles to get enough protein. I pretty much have cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, cheese, nuts, beans or lentils, eggs and protein powder every single day to try to hit my numbers. I am almost always over in carbs to do so bit I figure that's just the way it is for veggies; all our proteins have carbs too.

I likely won't be starting the lifting until next week now as I am trying to read through this forum, get my spreadsheets together, etc. but I am super excited!
  • mnsmov15
    Options
    Oh ya! I have all those things almost everyday too! :)
    and Edamame and egg whites -and I am 33 :P
  • Trundlegate
    Trundlegate Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Managed to sneak a sly workout in today.

Pleased to have got squats up to 52kg (114lb), the weights keep slowly going up (and I keep getting more tired every night - last night I was in bed by 8.30!!!) Never thought lifting would make me so tired.

Good luck folks