For today Mar 27th

Options
GrokRockStar
GrokRockStar Posts: 2,938 Member
“We feel and weigh soon enough what we suffer from others; but how much others suffer from us, of this we take no heed.” – Thomas a Kempis

“For Today: When I start to rationalize some shady behavior, I ask myself, “If someone else did this, would I make the same excuse.”

Wow, this was a good one! It reminds me of a pity party that I threw for myself a few times ago, which did zero for my sanity and balance. We have to deal with our problems and shortcomings, full force, without sugarcoating it. Today, I’m owning my behavior, whether good or bad. When it comes to the bad, I can recognize and address it so that I don’t put it on someone else.

Here’s to an abstinent day!

Replies

• blackthrux
    blackthrux Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    “We feel and weigh soon enough what we suffer from others; but how much others suffer from us, of this we take no heed.” – Thomas a Kempis

I am just now beginning to realize how much I was guilty of not recognizing when I caused others pain. As I mentioned elsewhere, I caused enough pain for my wife that she has now moved out. It has been hard for me in the past to own my behavior, to own my story. I recently realized that I didn't like the person that I had become, and if owning my behavior causes me to start to take heed and begin the work to change that, I'm all in. For me, I don't I feel better about myself because I'm treating others better. I think I'm treating others better because I feel better about myself.
  • GrokRockStar
    GrokRockStar Posts: 2,938 Member
    Options
    For me, I don't I feel better about myself because I'm treating others better. I think I'm treating others better because I feel better about myself.

I like this^!

Early in my recovery, I recall thinking that I am only hurting myself when it came to my bad eating behavior, but soon realized how much it affected all of my relationships, especially with my kids.
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options

Thinking about how we impact other peoples lives, instead of just playing the victim, opens our eyes and gives us more opportunity to practice compassion. I love this quote, thank you for sharing.
    “For Today: When I start to rationalize some shady behavior, I ask myself, “If someone else did this, would I make the same excuse.”

Wow, this was a good one! It reminds me of a pity party that I threw for myself a few times ago, which did zero for my sanity and balance. We have to deal with our problems and shortcomings, full force, without sugarcoating it. Today, I’m owning my behavior, whether good or bad. When it comes to the bad, I can recognize and address it so that I don’t put it on someone else.

Great attitude! Good luck with today =) This is something everyone should strive to do.
  • purplybob
    purplybob Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    For me, I don't I feel better about myself because I'm treating others better. I think I'm treating others better because I feel better about myself.

BINGO!!!!!