Need Help Where I Am Going Wrong on Induction

Options
Okay, so I've been successful with Atkins before, and, just last week, from Tuesday (start of induction) to Friday, I was down almost 6 lbs.

Well, we wen to Disney this weekend for my son's birthday. I planned every meal and never cheated once, but still gained 1.8 lbs back as of this morning.

Here are the instances that are the only reasons I can think of for the gain, and please tell me if you've had experience and these negatively impacted your progress as well:

-I've been drinking at least 80-120 oz of water recently per day, and this was drastically decreased while there

-Although I know we're not supposed to count calories, and I didn't, I did notice I ate a lot more calories than usual

-I ate one tiny bite of a rib and I thought it may have had BBQ sauce on it, so I put it on my husband's plate immediately

-I had one, plain coffee to which I added 4 half and half, individual creamers.

That's it.
For breakfast each day I had scrambled eggs and bacon (most delicious bacon ever), and sausage one morning.
For lunch I had lunch meat and lunch swiss cheese and collard greens and
For dinner, it was smoked chicken, a hamburger patty and a few pieces of caeser salad (no croutons, of course).

So, I'm stumped. We walked miles each day (were there Friday night - Sunday night) and I never slipped up.

I really need some advice. I know atkins has given me great results before, but this just amazed me. I mean, I can see once I'm in maintenance mode, fluctuating, but I'm not used to the scale going up during induction!

Thanks, in advance, for any help!!!

Replies

• rrsuthy
    rrsuthy Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    More than likely, your salt intake was considerably higher than it was when you ate at home. Most places salt their burgers, eggs, etc. I'd guess you retained a bit of water and because you were drinking less than usual it stayed with you. Give it a few days at home, with increased water consumption and see if that helps.
  • lrox4208
    lrox4208 Posts: 5
    Options
    That's what I'm hoping! Thank you!
  • chownot
    chownot Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I agree, I wouldn't fret over 1.8 pounds in a vacation week. Even flying makes you retain water. I found that my weight jumped a lot during Atkins and it was usually related to my water intake and salt intake. Measurements are more accurate. Keep up the great work and don't worry.
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    If you did a lot more walking than usual even that can make you gain water weight. It's just how the body reacts to unaccustomed exercise. Used to drive me nuts when I started working out until someone explained it to me.
  • lrox4208
    lrox4208 Posts: 5
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses!

I just felt so discouraged. I'm back on the water train and I'm trying as hard as possible not to weigh myself each morning. Will most likely move scale to garage :)
  • MscGray
    MscGray Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I agree that it was likely a water rentention issue. Especially due to the salting issue, but also do to the cut back in water consumption. The body will start to hold onto water (similar to starvation mode) and it will push it into your tissue.