eat more to weigh less - is it a load of rubbish?

So 4 weeks ago i upped my daily calorie intake from 1200 cals to between 1500 and 1600, i do 40/30/30 on carbs/protein & fat. I do more weight lifting than ever and lowered my cardio time but upped intensity. I go to gym 5 times a week.

In this 4 weeks i have gained 5 kilos (11lbs) this isn't water weight or false weight loss. I weighed 70 kilos consistently for at least 3 months and i have steadily gained every week to 75. Its not muscle (come on noone can put on that much muscle that quick) my body fat % has gone upnand i have gained 2 inches on all my measurements.

Is this program a crock of ****e or am i doing something wrong?

What do i do from here as i cant continue to gain - i needed to lose 5kg not gain it if i carry on upping i will be up to 80 kilos by end of april!!!

I need help please dont give me the maths about over eating and tell me its false weight gain because trust me it isn't my clothes don't fit and the scale isnt lying - ive weighed myself every day this week and yes always 75 kilos.

I am in despair!!!!

Replies

• Hi Clare

Oh gutting for you!!!!

Now when you read up about eat more did you read that often in a reset people gain - yes water weight - but also real fat & muscle - as this is your bodies way to getting back to normal - and then to start a cut - so I believe that its quite right that what is happening - however shocking that it is! and I think that it will be more muscle than fat so when you do start cutting then the fat goes away and muscles stays

I believe it is part of th eprocess - I am trying to find the threads which pointed this out - in a much better way than I am doing!

Either way its horrid I too put on around 8lbs as well and lost 6 of those whilst still UPPING my cals!

Not sure on your height/weght and TDEE but I would expect your TDEE to be around 2500? with that much exercise therefore you are probably needing to eat more too

Its hard cos if you have been eating at 1200 for ages than your TDEE remodified to a much lower position therefore over eating causes weight gain - and you are supposed to stay here until you are eating at real TDEE and not putting on weight

And looking at the maths you have not eaten 11lbs worth of extra cals there so its not real weight at all

Sadly my suggestion work out what yoru TDEE really should be and keep eating up to that level - if you can increase slowly but I do believe what is happening is correct

Sorry not what you wanted to here am sure

Good luck what ever you decide though
    Sarah
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    I know you said you didn't want maths, but it can't be avoided.

11lb of fat is 38,500 calories. For you to have gained that in fat, that's what you would have needed to overeat by. If you ate the 1600 every day for the last 4 weeks, you've only eaten 11,200 calories more than you were at 1200 a day. So you haven't gained fat. You also cannot gain fat while eating at a deficit.

It's completely normal to gain weight, however, after upping your calories. How long were you at 1200 for? If you've been eating that for a while, your body can take time to adjust. You also mention that you've upped your lifting and cardio intensity. That in itself can make you retain water.

I know it's hard but you need to stick at it, I would give it 3 months before you start to worry. it will level out. And what's the alternative? Your TDEE is 1200 calories and you have to eat this for the rest of your life or you will gain?

What are your stats? How did you calculate your TDEE?
  • AnitraSoto
    AnitraSoto Posts: 725 Member
    Unfortunately, in order to help you, we are going to need to do some math here (just a little bit though :-). What have you figured your TDEE to be? My guess is that you are not even close to that number yet... Depending on your past diet history, there is a chance your metabolism is suppressed and it is just going to take some time to get it up and running again. Give us just a little more information on your past dieting history and BMR/TDEE calculations.

In addition to the water weight gain that normally comes with upping one's calories after being on a low calorie diet, you have also increased your strength training --- also another source of water retention/gain.

If you do the math, you will probably see that you have not eaten over your TDEE, and have not eaten enough to have this be a "true" gain. Without knowing your "numbers" or dieting history yet, I would just say to stay the course and allow your weight to stabilize while eating at your current level. Once it stabilizes at this level, then you can bump it up again to get closer to your TDEE, but do it slowly. Add 100 calories a day and stay at that level until your weight stops fluctuating. Doing it slowly, and taking those increases in slow 100 calorie/day increments should help to minimize further gains.

Yes, this does work, but you have to be willing to give it the time it requires --- especially if you come from a history of low calorie dieting and have suppressed your metabolism along the way. Have you read the threads tacked at the top of the EM2WL boards? They explain the process in detail. Or go to the main Eat More 2 Weigh Less website and there is tons of information there... The process is just as much a mental challenge as a physical one, and the beginning part is difficult - often wondering if you are doing the right thing. I think we have all been there (I know I have)...

Get back to us with your BMR/TDEE and dieting history, and we will try to help you thorough the process. We don't like to get overly wrapped up in the numbers, but it will give us a starting point to help you...
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Oh sweetie, so sorry that you're having a rough time. :sad: Most of us have been there, and we totally understand.

No, it's not a crock. Unfortunately, the diets that we've done before hand, that let us to this point are.

Not only have they damaged our metabolisms to the point that eating a semi-normal amount of food causes us to gain, but they've also skewed our vision and expectation of how long these things should take (while, at the same time, making them take even longer when it comes to rehabilitation.).

You're definitely not alone… And we've tried our best with the stickies, videos, website, e-book, and resources page, to make sure that everyone goes into this process with eyes wide open. It's not going to be a walk in the park. That part of the process is for certain. This is in no way a quick fix.

I truly encourage you to check out some of those resources before continuing (all links are on the website, and the front page of this support forum). You need to be completely sold out on this process. You have to understand why you were doing it, what doubts you may encounter, and decide if the results are worth it to you. Those of us who have made it to the other side can tell you, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that is it. But only you can decide that for yourself. And it's best done with full knowledge and understanding of the process.

This process does not play by your typical "dieting" rules.

If you look through the resources page on the eat more to weigh less website, you'll see that this is not a flash in the pan concept. The certainty of this has been widely known and excepted for longer than you would imagine. On that page you can find links to articles and videos written by *others* that verify this process, you don't have to just trust us.
    http://eatmore2weighless.com/faqs/resources/

While you're there, why not check out some of the success stories, and stories of ladies that are still on their journey, so that you can see the process (and it's ups and downs) in more "real time" - it can be encouraging to hear it from those who have walked the path before you, or are still on it :)
    http://eatmore2weighless.com/category/testimonials/transformations/

We try not to get overly focused on the math either, but you do need to know if you're truly eating enough, and where you're trying to get with your level of intake in the beginning. Although it sounds like you're doing a good job of slowly increasing calories, (which is usually best to avoid too much shock to the body upfront), it still sounds like you may be nowhere near your true intake levels should be. :(

Which I'm sure you don't care to hear right now, LOL.

Once you know those things and get into the right habits, the numbers won't matter as much. But, again you should go and check out all of the above mentioned resources and decide for yourself if this is for real. We do hope that you'll stick it out. It's so worth it!!

~Kiki
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Something that hasn't been mentioned here....are you properly weighing/counting your calories? Cheat days? I found that before if I eye balled or loosely used measuring cups that I was eating a few 100 more calories a day than I had anticipated. I had also still kept on going a little over on weekends, and my usually large deficit was now gone. I gained a bunch.

Make sure that what you are eating is accurate. every bite. And use a scale for a couple of weeks. Sounds OCDish...but will give you an idea as to how close your servings are to what you log. Might help as well. :-)
  • CoachXthea
    CoachXthea Posts: 75 Member
    I made the same mistake as you, I increased my calories to 1600 and thought woo hoo let's see this work. After a month I was discourage went back down to 1400...then I started training even more because that's how you lose weight right? WRONG. I did this from September to December. This extended my plateau that I've been stuck in for about two years.

Finally, I really read and I really followed the process. Over the last 4 weeks I have upped my calories by marginal amounts until I got to my TDEE which is about 2500 (based on my fitbit). I decreased my workouts during this period because I had been over training (working out twice a day; lifting for 2 hours, doing HIIT, and endurance 6 days a week) too. In the last week I started back heavy lifting and while the scale is up a few pounds, I look leaner than I have in a while. Also, I have finally gained muscle/or lost fat for the first time in 7 months because my bodyfat is down.

Everyone is different, different strokes for different folks, but for me this is the first thing that has made sense in a while. Plus, it is manageble. I now eat more by breakfast than I used to eat all day and I'm not gaining weight. I plan do to an extended reset before I go into cut.

Good luck and trust the process!
  • AnitraSoto
    AnitraSoto Posts: 725 Member
    I made the same mistake as you, I increased my calories to 1600 and thought woo hoo let's see this work. After a month I was discourage went back down to 1400...then I started training even more because that's how you lose weight right? WRONG. I did this from September to December. This extended my plateau that I've been stuck in for about two years.

Finally, I really read and I really followed the process. Over the last 4 weeks I have upped my calories by marginal amounts until I got to my TDEE which is about 2500 (based on my fitbit). I decreased my workouts during this period because I had been over training (working out twice a day; lifting for 2 hours, doing HIIT, and endurance 6 days a week) too. In the last week I started back heavy lifting and while the scale is up a few pounds, I look leaner than I have in a while. Also, I have finally gained muscle/or lost fat for the first time in 7 months because my bodyfat is down.

Everyone is different, different strokes for different folks, but for me this is the first thing that has made sense in a while. Plus, it is manageble. I now eat more by breakfast than I used to eat all day and I'm not gaining weight. I plan do to an extended reset before I go into cut.

Congratulations on your progress! It truly is just about as much a mental challenge as a physical one. Well done taking the time to do your research and then allowing the process to work it's magic!
  • grkathena82
    grkathena82 Posts: 42 Member
    I'm sorry that you are going through such a rough time. Please keep in mind that EM2WL is a process and not really a quick way to lose weight. It actually takes a long time, especially if you've been eating low calorie for an extended period of time. I also found it to be more of a mental challenge than anything else!

I had to do 2 metabolism resets to get to the point that I'm at now. I started doing EM2WL back in May 2012. I gained approximately 25 pounds in the process. Since January I have managed to lose about 8 pounds eating at about a 15-20% cut. I realize most people on here don't recommend more than a 15% cut. However, given that I love to eat I was getting really close to my maintenance when I was eating at 10-15%. It's all about figuring out your personal numbers and what works for you.

I hope that helps!

Athena
  • jaeone
    jaeone Posts: 649 Member
    Hi, you've received some great information already from Kiki and Anitra! So I'm just here to encourage you not to give up. Any time you Drastically change your intake up or down, it will have an immediate affect on your body. But, Your weight will stabilize when your body is able to trust you to feed it consistently if you give it more time. The fact that you gained weight when you stopped eating 1200 should prove that you can't live the rest of your life on 1200. Do you want to live on 1200 calories forever?
    Increasing your intake at a, slower pace like 100 calories a day may ease the shock to your body.

EM2WL is not a diet or a quick fix and it's not Thanksgiving everyday. It's a process to take your life back by enjoying regular foods at a moderate deficit, slow FAT losses while preserving muscle but long lasting results. It is not a crock. You can do this! :flowerforyou:
  • jaeone

Totally love this! Thanks for sharing your success.
  • jaeone
    I'm sorry that you are going through such a rough time. Please keep in mind that EM2WL is a process and not really a quick way to lose weight. It actually takes a long time, especially if you've been eating low calorie for an extended period of time. I also found it to be more of a mental challenge than anything else!

I had to do 2 metabolism resets to get to the point that I'm at now. I started doing EM2WL back in May 2012. I gained approximately 25 pounds in the process. Since January I have managed to lose about 8 pounds eating at about a 15-20% cut. I realize most people on here don't recommend more than a 15% cut. However, given that I love to eat I was getting really close to my maintenance when I was eating at 10-15%. It's all about figuring out your personal numbers and what works for you.

I hope that helps!

Athena
    Awesome job sticking with the reset and finding that cut number that's right for YOU! You rock!
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    One of two things can be happening:

1. You have suppressed your metabolism from chronic dieting.

2. You are eating more than you think you are. Which is quite common and not done intentionally. Here is a link to a study that shows Registered Dieticians underreported their calories as often (though not by as large an amount) as untrained women.
    http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=379
  • clairejackson83
    clairejackson83 Posts: 8 Member
    Thanks for all your replies. First heres a bit of history:

I started 2013 at 96 kilos . I pretty much ate what i wanted and had no idea of the calorific content of anything and apart from walking my dogs did no exercise

I downloaded mfp and joined a gym at first i was sensible - i ate 1500 cals a day and exercised 3-4 times a week.

I lost weight . By Sept/oct time i was pretty much at 72-73 kilos . My healthy bmi max weight is 65 so i thought one last push and im there! Not to be! i cut calories exercised more and got down to 70 kilos by early december. I have been at pretty much 1200-1300 calories a day since the start of this year

I weigh all my foods and input everything into mfp nothing passes my lips without it going on the diary.

I have read all the resources i literally have bought the book (its the only pounds i have lost since starting em2wl Lol) i read through everything before starting but i will revisit. Stories like gaining 25 lbs scare me and people raving they have lost weight on em2lw will just push me over the edge at the minute!! I would love to think i have gained muscle and thats why my weight has gone up but trust me when i say i am bigger i feel it i know it nothing is firmer or leaner i am chubbier than i have felt in a while. I knew it before i weighed myself but thought I'll be 73 or 74 max could have cried when it said 75!!!

I'll keep going then but cannot face putting on anymore weight i promised myself i would not lose weight just to put it back on again or be one of the yo yo girls. Plus i had my engagement ring taken in 5 sizes and it can't be made bigger now!!!

Apologies for being a misery
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    So you ate in total 1500 calories along with exercise taking some of that off the top?

And then you ate in total 1200 doing the same?

Or that was NET 1500 and 1200? Just to get a scheme of damage done to your body. If you treated it as gross, what were the calorie burns you think?

And you saw no weight loss or inches lost?

Ya, when you jumped up to whatever level you have been eating at, that was all in surplus until your body decided to start adapting energy use up.

Just the opposite of when you were losing weight and it adapted down, causing the weekly loss to get smaller and smaller until no more loss.

You besides the probably max 3 lbs water weight because of finally storing more glucose, and the 2 lbs with doing your workouts, you were probably easily 750 over actual TDEE for who knows how long, so 1.5 lbs a week.

Now, with a strong lifting workout, that won't all be fat, but women can't gain muscle that fast, so yes, much was fat.

Should have increased calories slowly as many suggest. Well, lesson learned for passing on advice to others now.

If you are still gaining - drop the calorie back down too, no need increasing your weight until it causes your TDEE to match what you are eating too. Because at that point with enough weight, your potential TDEE is actually higher.

What was your gain last week, and what did you eat that week on average, or at least log?
    Current TDEE for that week can be calculated then, and you can hang out at that level for a week, before increasing again if need be.

Also, with that extreme of a diet previously, you probably lost some muscle mass, I didn't see how much strength training you were doing during that whole time, so maybe not.

But suggest getting a bodyfat estimate and using Katch BMR as basis to the math.

Oh yeah, for a good a read of what you did to yourself - especially your comment as to no loss, so ate less and exercised even more.
    http://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/truth-about-metabolic-damage

Everyone can lose weight on a reasonable deficit. It's merely eating less than you burn.
    But instead of blindly accepting a calorie goal you don't understand how it got there and have no idea if good for you in the scheme of things, it encourages an understanding of how your body works.

I'm still shocked by how many people get a daily activity tracker and had no clue they burned calories all day. Boy do our schools fail to truly educate on some important stuff.