Help me Obiwan Kenobi, you're my only breakfast hope

Options
PrimalGirl
PrimalGirl Posts: 148 Member
Anyone got any good, fairly high calorie breakfast ideas, bearing in mind I don't eat before going to work so it can't be something that needs cooking?

Currently I'm eating a couple of hard-boiled eggs and an apple, or some 'chicken bites' which are good protein but covered in dreaded breadcrumbs.

I've been trying to up my calories as I generally max out after exercise at about 1400 and want to get up to at least 1600 so I can lift more, and I've narrowed it down to having low-cal breakfasts. As I don't have a massive appetite after eating my lunch and protein shake post-workout, I tend not to snack in the afternoon and then just have a paleo dinner, so the only place I can add calories is breakfast.

But a quick, convenient breakfast I can eat at work.

Thanks

Replies

• rusty1257
    rusty1257 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you eat dairy, but if you do full fat greek yogurt with some berries tossed in is tasty.

Or scrambled up some eggs and bacon made ahead of time. maybe a nut butter on that apple.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Cold sausages, cold omlette, greek yohgurt, chunks of cheese with ham, cold chicken

If you want to be more carby i like grated carrot with grated apple mixed with cinamon and sultanas and left in the fridge overnight so the sultanas pump up. maybe have a small owl with thick greek yoghurt? Mmmmm...
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Please keep in mind, breakfast does not have to consist of tradional breakfast foods. Maybe chicken or tuna salad made with avacado?
  • runningjen74
    runningjen74 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I sometimes make a frittata, - cooked meat / veggies with some raw eggs, in to a lined pan and in to the oven for about 40 min - till the eggs are set. Slice up and serve with some fat (olives / advocado). Can make it in muffin pan too, but I find a lined baking tin works for me.

This is made up night before and does 2-3 days depending on size of it.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Cook ups on the weekends make everything easier during the week. I don't eat breakfast (BP coffee) but my cook ups provide leftovers for lunch and supper for the week. There are things I can throw together fast; fried eggs, can of tuna, avocado but I always cook up big portions because it makes my life easier.

You can make your own chicken bites...
  • mandabrett
    mandabrett Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Bacon. It will bump up your calorie count real quick. I also do mini quiches with lunch meat for crust that I cook in a muffin tin.
  • Chipidies
    Chipidies Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Bacon and egg muffins made on the weekend. Line the cups in the muffin tins with bacon, drop an egg in with some veggies and cook at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    In Norman we always have sausage on sale $1/lb. Buy a pound and make patties, re-heat for 20 seconds in the microwave in the morning. Poof!

Protein Shake.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    http://www.paleoplan.com/2009/12-03/omelet-muffins/

Make a batch on the weekend, grab and go during the week.
  • PrimalGirl
    Options
    You guys, i'm drooling onto my keyboard!

Some fab suggestions here, thanks so much.
  • 103reasons
    103reasons Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have two recipes that have worked for me:
    Elena's Pantry Apricot Power bars (SUPER easy and very travel friendly)
    http://www.elanaspantry.com/gluten-free-apricot-power-bars/

Paleomg's blueberry honey coconut cups
    http://paleomg.com/blueberry-honey-coconut-cups/

And, I haven't tried them, but here are some grain free/dairy free muffins:
    http://www.tessadomesticdiva.com/2012/03/5-minute-muffins-high-protien.html

I found all of these on pintrest. There are LOTS of paleo recipes on there!!
  • Nutmeg76
    Nutmeg76 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I eat liverwurst for breakfast...yeah, I'm weird.
  • pbjonrye
    pbjonrye Posts: 25
    Options
    I eat liverwurst for breakfast...yeah, I'm weird.

I must be just as weird then...i do love liverwurst any time of the day myself!
  • notyouraveragetalia
    notyouraveragetalia Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Instead of Breaded chicken try chicken sausage. There are lots of yummy options from veggie to apple cinnamon where I'm at. There are different brands with different nutrition profiles so something for all. Chicky sausage + Egg = very Filling and pretty calorie dense.
  • fitmann25
    fitmann25 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I find macadamia nuts are great for breakfast along with an apple. Very high in healthy fat therefore the calories you are looking for. They taste great and there is zero preparation time :) They are fairly expensive relative to other nuts but worth it.
  • Kaitlyn811
    Kaitlyn811 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I usually eat bacon, hard boiled eggs, a small portion of fruit, and my "smoothie."

My smoothie usually consists of unsweetened almond milk or coconut milk, coconut creme, coconut oil, maca, cacao powder and magnesium powder (and maybe a little hemp protein when I need a boost).

^ That REALLY gets the calories up.
  • PrimalGirl
    Options
    So, apple and almond butter, eh? I tried that and ... YUM!

That's definitely on my to buy and eat list for breakfast.
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I made this last night and had it for breakfast this morning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itpdrev93Wc

I have had great success making frittatas and the like for my breakfasts.
  • butterbear1980
    butterbear1980 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Bulletproof coffee = awesome easy calories!