What Helps Get You Through?

Options
WordWhimsy
WordWhimsy Posts: 254 Member
Of course as some have mentioned, wear good shoes and have a towel and water nearby. I have tried this barefoot before, and that's just silly, no wonder I couldn't do it.

I found when Jumping Jacks were bothering me, I tried to count how many they did, so it didn't feel so endless. I have also found that if I know how many of the dreaded side lunges/front raise we have to do, it really helps me know I only have so many to go. I tried to trick myself and act like I was going to have to do 50 of an exercise, then when it was only 20-30, it felt like I was getting off easy.

Yesterday and today, I turned down the volume of Jillian and set up my laptop with some mindless MTV show playing next to me, that really helped to pass the time too.

Replies

• agent85
    agent85 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    i just keep thinking to myself that it may suck now but if i keep going i will eventually have a body like jillian's. lol.
  • mirampersanda
    Options
    I actually find that doing the 30 Day Shred barefoot is easier on my feet and ankles (but that might be because I have a super thick yoga mat that is all things comfortable).

But back to your actual inquiry: there are several things that keep me motivated to do this. I would definitely have to credit this group for making me accountable for working out everyday, otherwise I would probably skip a day and then go "well, I can skip a few more" and then I would be where I was at every other time I have attempted to do the 30 Day Shred. Second to that, while it's not an indicator of my success, I find looking at before/after pictures of people who have done the shred to be a huge motivator for me. If I see amazing results from them, then I am going to push as hard as I can to achieve similar or better results for myself. Lastly, I love the feeling I get (hello endorphins!) whenever it's cool down time and that Spanish style guitar music comes on and Jillian's all like "let's stretch and good job" blah blah blah. It makes me so excited because I know that I will have an entirely different body in a month.
  • brittany1480
    Options
    I also turn down the volume and listen to music. Definitely helps make the time pass
  • Jade2240
    Jade2240 Posts: 162
    Options
    I actually find that doing the 30 Day Shred barefoot is easier on my feet and ankles (but that might be because I have a super thick yoga mat that is all things comfortable).

But back to your actual inquiry: there are several things that keep me motivated to do this. I would definitely have to credit this group for making me accountable for working out everyday, otherwise I would probably skip a day and then go "well, I can skip a few more" and then I would be where I was at every other time I have attempted to do the 30 Day Shred. Second to that, while it's not an indicator of my success, I find looking at before/after pictures of people who have done the shred to be a huge motivator for me. If I see amazing results from them, then I am going to push as hard as I can to achieve similar or better results for myself. Lastly, I love the feeling I get (hello endorphins!) whenever it's cool down time and that Spanish style guitar music comes on and Jillian's all like "let's stretch and good job" blah blah blah. It makes me so excited because I know that I will have an entirely different body in a month.

I agree with this completely!!
  • muroo
    muroo Posts: 68
    Options
    Of course as some have mentioned, wear good shoes and have a towel and water nearby. I have tried this barefoot before, and that's just silly, no wonder I couldn't do it.

I found when Jumping Jacks were bothering me, I tried to count how many they did, so it didn't feel so endless. I have also found that if I know how many of the dreaded side lunges/front raise we have to do, it really helps me know I only have so many to go. I tried to trick myself and act like I was going to have to do 50 of an exercise, then when it was only 20-30, it felt like I was getting off easy.

Yesterday and today, I turned down the volume of Jillian and set up my laptop with some mindless MTV show playing next to me, that really helped to pass the time too.

I guess about the counting thing. Even when I'm about to collapse I find that I can just grunt out "just. three. more." or something. And pretend it's a matter of breaking a world record haha.
  • agent85
    agent85 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    i sometimes pretend that im training for the hunger games...lol. :tongue:
  • MrsV1983
    MrsV1983 Posts: 39 Member
    Options

That's so funny...I count the really hard moves too and I always listen to my own music. Sometimes I'll be so into a song tho, I'll miss when the move has changed lol. I also count down by circuit (first circuit down, 2/3 left...two circuits down, 1/3 left...etc), this makes it most tolerable for me! :smile:
  • thanson563
    thanson563 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    That's so funny...I count the really hard moves too and I always listen to my own music. Sometimes I'll be so into a song tho, I'll miss when the move has changed lol. I also count down by circuit (first circuit down, 2/3 left...two circuits down, 1/3 left...etc), this makes it most tolerable for me! :smile:

I count down by the circuits, too. It's like, oh, THANK GOD, we're almost to circuit three! I haven't tried my own music, I bet that helps a lot. Of course, I say this when we're almost to Level 2 and I'll have to pay attention to what Jillian is saying again.

Cursing at Natalie makes me feel wonderful, too (I did not just say that!). :)
  • sbicica
    sbicica Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I play my own music and mute the DVD.. it helps a lot especially during the side lunge's because she says "a couple more" and it's really 10 more!!!!! That drives me nuts and whenever I hear it I get so mad. A COUPLE IS TWO, JILLIAN!
  • ashleyjohnstonn1
    ashleyjohnstonn1 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    The first time I did the video I only did two when she said a couple more, lol! And then I was like oh... we're supposed to keep going... that's not a couple!
  • powersgray
    Options
    I like to yell back at Jillian. Some of what she says is motivating, and some of it I get tickled by. "...kicking herself IN the *kitten*..." gets me giggling every time during butt kicks. ;)