How much fat is too much fat?

Options
So i have done keto diet for a few weeks now and following the 70/25/5 plan. One thing I found from my plan is i sometimes end up with "extra protein" left over on my diet while my fat is a bit over.. i have been eating chicken thighs, pork shoulder/butt (fatty) and eggs + sausage... I find it is very easy for me to fill fat if needed with macadamia nuts and oil but i have trouble filling protein without going over in calories... I am thinking of trying 75% fat this week and see how it goes... is this too much? I read on some sites people going 85% but i think that might be a bit extreme......

Replies

• rlengland2014
    rlengland2014 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    My understanding is that the number of carbs is a limit (don't go over 30 carbs, eg) and the number of protein is a goal (you want to eat at least 100 grams of protein eg). The rest is just filler, ie fat. The problem comes that if you eat too much fat and not enough protein, your body won't go to burn the fat from your thighs for energy. If your body can get enough energy of any variety from your diet, then you won't lose weight. If you don't get enough protein, then your body starts catabolizing your skeletal muscle, and you lose lean muscle.
    Now, I could be wrong in my understanding, so if some other more educated person wants to educate us, I'm all ears.
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options
    I get my fats in first, I usually try for 80% fats , 15% protein and 5% carbs.There have been days w hen I went 85% fat. Remember to get your protein , 1 gm per kg. or around. 0.5 g of protein per LB . There is nothing extreme if you can get the required proteins in.
  • Shaselai
    Shaselai Posts: 151
    Options
    but if i go .5 g protein per lb then i would be over 100g protein isnt that a lot of total calories considering protein is 20-30% of keto diet? i am trying to go for 1200 calories a day and the protein for that amount of calories is actually my ideal weight's protein....

does this mean that if i dont take 1/2 my body weight in protein i will lose muscles?
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options
    In that case your 1200 cal number is way off. You should be eating way more than that if you are close to 200 lbs. Keep it simple and stop worrying about cals, eat real foods and stop eating when you are full. I don't count cals, doesn't mean I eat unlimited cals but I listen to my body. I was eating 2500 cals and had no problem losing weight.
  • Shaselai
    Options
    i see what you are saying and i might be counting cals too much... but honestly i dont know if i am adapted to it now or what i dont really feel hungry on the 1200 cal diet - the only times i really do feel hungry is for dinner since i have it around 8ish after gym.
  • rlengland2014
    Options
    You should be getting .8 to 1 gram of protein per lean body mass, not total
  • Skoster1
    Skoster1 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    You should be getting .8 to 1 gram of protein per lean body mass, not total

I've read from 0.6 - 1.2 depending on whether cutting or bulking.

So figure out your LBM, and from there get your protein.

My LBM is ~138 and I'm slowing down my loss and working on switching to a recomping, therefore I set my protein to 1g per lb of LBM = 138g. When I was more focused on weight loss I had my protein set to about .6g per lb of LBM = 83.

While I respect that Leo can listen to his body, mine lies to me, so I keep a close eye on what I put in it.
  • Shaselai
    Options
    Well my LBM is 155 so i should be hitting a minimum 77 or so and my current plan has about 70ish... so i am close enough?

Also another question about protein/fat. I read that if i eat too little protein or have too much deficit it could eat my muscles...but with a lot of weight to lose is the trade off worth it? As in lose now and then build up muscles later?
  • rlengland2014
    Options
    I am under care with a bariatric physician and he is always pushing me to get more protein. His argument is that it's easier just to keep the muscle and lose the fat. Of course, he told me to get 1.5 grams of protein for each pound of LBM, which is a ton and assuming you work out 5-6 hours a week. He says that ideally, you'll lose 15 pounds of fat for each pound of muscle . FWIW.

Good luck!
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Bear in mind there are also age-based guidelines for protein requirements. The OLDER you get, the more you really need for either lean-mass retention or trying to gain muscle.

Check out the evidence-based guidelines by Layne Norton here: http://www.biolayne.com/nutrition/anabolic-eating-for-your-age/
    Protein recommendations:

<20 years old: 0.7-1g/lb bodyweight

21-40 years old: 0.9-1.2g/lb bodyweight

41-65 years old: 1.1-1.4g/lb bodyweight

>65 years old: 1.3-1.5g/lb bodyweight

Keep in mind those figures are tailored to men who are working on maximizing muscle. Women need slightly less.

As far as fat goes - you'd be hard-pressed to eat too-much. Just be sure to get somewhere close to 5% of your calories in as various non-starchy vegetables, eat as much fat as you want.

Many people aim for 80% of calories from fat, especially when starting keto - and there's no health reason not to if you're eating natural fats.
  • Skoster1
    Skoster1 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Bear in mind there are also age-based guidelines for protein requirements. The OLDER you get, the more you really need for either lean-mass retention or trying to gain muscle.

Check out the evidence-based guidelines by Layne Norton here: http://www.biolayne.com/nutrition/anabolic-eating-for-your-age/
    Protein recommendations:

Keep in mind those figures are tailored to men who are working on maximizing muscle. Women need slightly less.

As far as fat goes - you'd be hard-pressed to eat too-much. Just be sure to get somewhere close to 5% of your calories in as various non-starchy vegetables, eat as much fat as you want.

Many people aim for 80% of calories from fat, especially when starting keto - and there's no health reason not to if you're eating natural fats.

Thanks for this post, at my age it looks like I ought to up my protein a bit.
  • Shaselai
    Options

Protein recommendations:

do people go to 70% after a while in keto from 80%?

Also in terms of cooking.. the fatty meats leaves grease and fat after cooking - are we supposed to eat that too(put it on salad?) or we are to somehow subtract that from total fat content from the meat?