My 3 month report Card

Options
cwrig
cwrig Posts: 190 Member
I was diagnosed in late December and just got my 3 month bloodwork back. I am pretty pleased with the results:

I lost 33 pounds
Total Cholesterol went from 258 to 164
LDL went from 177 to 110
HDL went from 23 to 28
Triglycerides went from 292 to 131
A1C went from 9.1 to 5.0 :smile:

Wish the HDL was higher, but Im happy with the other numbers.

The main things I have been doing are:
- Cold turkey on Sugary beverages
- < 160 carbs per day
- Eating a lot more vegetables
- No Trans Fats
- Trying to walk every day
- Meds is just Metformin 500mg twice a day. I hope to reduce this to zero by consistently controlling with diet.

Replies

• Bookwitch
    Bookwitch Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    :smile: Congratulations!
    How did you get your A1C down so low in just 3 months? However you did, great job.
  • bdubya55
    bdubya55 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    A very commendable accomplishment Sir-in such a short time period too. Not an easy task. Congratulations on seeking out and finding an overall plan that works for you-helping you move forward in reaching your next set of lifestyle goals.

Well done-it's a reward worthy achievement of some kind to be sure. Thanks for sharing your results!

:drinker:
  • cwrig
    cwrig Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    :smile: Congratulations!
    How did you get your A1C down so low in just 3 months? However you did, great job.

I was happy with the A1C improvement. I was predicting it to come in at 5.5 The conversion charts say that and A1C is the rough equivalent of BG reading of 90. So it basically says my average BG over three months is 90. My BG tracking app (where i record my finger pricks) says my average over the 3 months is 100. But then I typically test more after eating, so I guess this makes sense. Really; your A1C should be something you can predict pretty closely if you test BG pretty frequently. It should be a rough 3 month average of what your testing shows.

How did I do it? I followed my doctors orders as best that I can. Kept carbs < 160 a day and eliminated sugary drinks and added lots of above ground vegetables. I test new foods 1-2 hours after eating to see how they affect my BG. If they spike me above 140, I make adjustments. My goal to get off Meds and control with diet if at all possible. And losing the weight will definitely help. I have a ways to go there.
  • GlucernaBrand
    Options
    Congratulations on these fantastic numbers and all your hard work. Thanks for sharing the specific changes you made that led to this success. It's always inspiring to hear how people change their habits and improve their health. ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • Alsvic
    Alsvic Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Congratulations this is a great success story.

When I attend diabetes education classes it always amazes me how many people have been ignoring their disease for several years after diagnosis. I mean I am in a class with people that have been diagnosed for ten years and are just now starting to think about diet and exercise. I sit here and read about these success stories of people like yourself who try to figure out a program that works for them make me realize this is the way to combat this disease. It is results like yours that make me willing to just try a little harder every day.
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    A wonderful improvement in your numbers. Stick with it and you will soon be off meds.
  • diabetesdieter
    diabetesdieter Posts: 47 Member
    Options

I lost 33 pounds
    Total Cholesterol went from 258 to 164
    LDL went from 177 to 110
    HDL went from 23 to 28
    Triglycerides went from 292 to 131
    A1C went from 9.1 to 5.0 :smile:

The main things I have been doing are:
    - Cold turkey on Sugary beverages
    - < 160 carbs per day
    - Eating a lot more vegetables
    - No Trans Fats
    - Trying to walk every day
    - Meds is just Metformin 500mg twice a day. I hope to reduce this to zero by consistently controlling with diet.

Wow amazing job! I was diagnosed three months ago and I hope my numbers are this good! 5.0 is awesome!